gabriel hijackers

82rude

Rear Admiral
Any body have them on the back of their truck?I have napa overloaders right now but one is leaking and i dont have a reciept from 10 years ago so im thinking they will not honor the lifetime warranty.without.Im in need of cheap american gas very soon so will stop at the soo michigan napa and ask at least.If its a no i was thinking about the gabriel hijacker air shocks from rock auto as a replacement.Both are sold in pairs and both have lifetime warranties.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Look around, most of the shocks in the country are made by the same couple of countries, I know when we had a Wal Mart auto center a couple of years ago, I was able to buy shocks from them for less than any of the auto parts store and they were made by the same company that makes Gabriels, NAPA, O' Reilly, Car Quest, they were all the same shocks painted a different color with the store brand name on them. it is amazing how few companies actually make shocks and struts. The last set of struts I purchased for the Subaru, we some weird name off ebay with free shipping, got all for struts with free delivery in 3 days, opened the box and there was a paper in there from the company that makes KYB struts. I have not run a set of Highjackers for a couple of decades now. When I figure out they were mostly being made by the same companies to the same specifications, I just go with the lower priced house brands.

Living where I do, my shocks get a real work out, believe me!

82rude

Rear Admiral
I want ,no, i demand shocks that will help keep my truck level underload..The napa coil overs did a good job in that respect.Im hoping the counter guy at napa says bring it in we will give you another and i will have it off in the parking lot in ten.If not i wanted the option to level my load as you can with the hyjackers.Funny you should mention kyb shocks as i just put two on the front for the princely sum of 9 u.s.d. each (closeout deal).

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I use air bags on my truck to keep loads level, best thing they ever invented, I love them, I look at shocks and load leveling in a different light, I use the shocks for ride, the airbags for load leveling, if you plan on keeping your truck and using it like a truck is suppose to be used, I definitely recommend a set of airbags, they really make a difference, I have them plumb to two separate fill valves on either side of the license plate, so I can check pressure and adjust accordingly based on the load.

82rude

Rear Admiral
Had or should i say have my truck for going on 12 years.It is not uncommon for me to have 800 plus in the back.Seeing as how one is leaking im going to have to replace one way or the other .Until now the napa coilovers have been excellent I believe their monroe actually .Their sold in pairs so i cant just buy one and be done with it.I sort of like the idea of the gabriels where you can add air for heavy loads and let it out for light or empty .Im happy as is so unless airbags were cheap their out of my budget mt.My beast has seen more dirt/off road miles than street miles .

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Napa response shocks are indeed made by Monroe, they are the same as the Monroe Matics.

82rude

Rear Admiral
Look at walmart.com and in the auto section under shocks on i believe its page one theres monroe air shocks listed for in the sixties range.Is that for 1 or 2 shocks?The picture shows 2 shocks vs other pics that only show 1 other than the coil overs that show 2 as i know their sold in pairs.While im at it i better get under the truck clean the shock and make sure it is really leaking as ive had the truck oiled and ive actually sprayed rust check all over so maybe just maybe thats what it is.Thanks for the advise and help MT!

Last edited:

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
About 10 yrs ago I was debating between the Gabrial HJ and Monroe Matic Air to replace the OEM airshocks for the autoleveling on my Roadmaster. After looking both over I installed the Gabrials. Six months later I went over one ridiculous speed bump in a mall parking lot a little too fast. Shocks fully extended and when the rear came down it kept on bouncing. The pistons had been pulled right out inner pressure tube. Replaced them with the Monroes and later swapped them to another Roadmaster, they lasted 9 yrs, I had to replace them last year when they just plain wore out.

82rude

Rear Admiral
Turned 59 a few days ago, i believe i must be in my dotage now.My coil overs are nitrogen gas charged so oil leakage would not be possible as there is none correct?I must be loosing it!It specifically states it has a special seal to prevent gas loss.As i said earlier i must of forgotten about oiling the underside .

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Turned 59 a few days ago, i believe i must be in my dotage now.My coil overs are nitrogen gas charged so oil leakage would not be possible as there is none correct?I must be loosing it!It specifically states it has a special seal to prevent gas loss.As i said earlier i must of forgotten about oiling the underside .

:facepalm: