She wants new wheels!

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
We went to Town today; and she made the comment about new wheels. She continued on about getting a small UTV without a bunch of gadgets and frills; just something basic. Interesting! We had lunch; stopped by a couple of places to look. What she saw she didn't like. Naturally the price; the height (too high); and a few other things. So she/ I made a list. Here it is:
2 or 4 wheel drive
Speed not important
2 seater maybe with a dump
Wants closer to ground but not golf cart
Don't need radio; PS; etc.
Gas powered. I would like it water cooled
Power to pull small limbs or small trailer
ROPS . Not needed; but wouldn't turn down
Would prefer new; but?
Open or closed compartment
Other things could be added

It seems like I have seen these around golf courses; and other places. It doesn't need to be fancy; just functional. Trying to Google it brings up high dollar stuff.

Any suggestions?

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
That's close Scott. Looked at J D; Mahindra;; didn't think about Gravely. Again everything we see is too high (For us). We had 4 wheelers ('05) but the last one cratered last year. They both were rode hard and hung up WET. Right now she on the mower; and I;m using a Ranger.They work;but?

Jake: don't need something else to buy plates and insurance. I'll pass it on to her though.

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
I have never owned a golf cart; probably because I don't play golf. (No offense to those that do). Would prefer it to be gas though. Its going to be like looking for a boat; too many to choose from. SHE will find something we like. (Pun)

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
Update! She is still looking. Got some feelers out; she's got a list.

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
Well we went looking today. (Yes wr) She left happy; came home ?issed; last place the salesman told her what he was going to sell her; not what she wanted to buy. We(she) got a bunch of prices; saw some features good and bad; and now I don't know. She definitely did not like the interest rate (5.9 to 14 for 5 yrs.); didn't like the warranty; in essence she disliked something about all of them. (One salesman told her "its something you have to learn to like"). Prices were 8-12k. Things I didn't like were the motors.

I'm thinking about looking on CL; find an older one; and rebuild or replace the motor. They are all 18-24hp gas.

Last edited:

jimr

Senior Chief Petty Officer
A guy I work with has had a John Deere Gator for almost 20 years and it has been pretty reliable. Only problem mechanically is the ignition module went out a few years ago.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
I'm sure those interest rates are common for toys.......

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
Called and checked about a Kawasaki Mule ($8513 drive out; 3.95% 36 months $251). Looked on CL; that was worse Going to let her think a bit.

Also need to apologize to the Forum members by calling an engine a motor.

82rude

Rear Admiral
Not sure what your wife is looking for but for a few years i tolerated regular 4 wheelers until i met the love of my life.I would not trade her for anything ,she,s perfect for me in every way.

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
Mr. rude; right now she is stttiiilll looking. She has changed her mind about the Gator (no ROP for a top); wants one with a dump bed; easy on and off; wants one with a hitch ( I can make); and some other (to me) minor stuff. Most of the sales people we've talked to just don't understand what SHE wants. I showed her the Mule by Kawasaki. We are going to look Tuesday. I read the specs on it: has the ROP; big dump bed; and has a water cooled engine (640cc) with an alternator.All the others are air cooled in her price range. As Mr. hawker said "Happy wife; happy life". I can add "If she's not happy long enough; I'll be unhappy with half my stuff".

82rude

Rear Admiral
Being single i dont have that worry and most likely will die single,lol.That being said no point in buying something your not happy with so tell her to be patience it will come to her .Is she maybe being too picky or wishy washie?Maybe expecting too much for price range also?

WIMUSKY

Staff member
I would agree about the price thingy. May not be the case. However, like anything, you get what you pay for.....

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
Been tied up with Doctor appts; rain; and other things. (Not complaining; just commenting). Looked at a Kawasaki today. She drove it; got a price. Now she is weighing the options. It is definitely price she looking at; plus interest.I'm gonna let her groove on it; it's her ride. I'm patient.

(Working with a retired HS principal (31yrs) can be exciting and fun. Ask me.)