Stump removal suggestions

bigdee

Commander
(Hmm. Potassium nitrate; magnesium and ammonium sulfate. That's 3!. If you hear a boom; you know where it came from).

That used to be the redneck method around here.....nitrate,diesel fuel and a blasting cap. Can't buy the caps no more. Farmers made irrigation ditches with it too.

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
Got a bunch of 1" holes drilled yesterday. Was going to blow them out; but one of my buddys has my air tank in the big city. Got to find the tire pump.

GM: I' m not expecting overnight results. Patience is a virtue. Did find out that the stump was softer in several spots; made the holes easier to drill. One month; 6-8 weeks should show some results. I'm in no hurry.

Tim; With age comes wisdom! Had two thoughts after I posted. I know what the ES/vineger will do ; never used the PN. I was thinking like a cook trying to improve a recipe. I'll start with the PN and see what happens. Thanks for the advice!

fhhuber

Lieutenant
RE the mixing of "PN" (KNO3) + Vinegar + Epsom salt... just contact the chemistry department at the nearest college and ask what should happen. If they don't know they might sacrifice a grad student to find out.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Redfred1, you did good. Just pour in the PN and walk away. Nothing else to worry about. :thumb:

lakelover

Rear Admiral
Gotta be the best answer! :D

My go to guy for home improvement tips.

I'm glad I saw this thread. In a couple months, my town is doing some work on drainage in an easement that hosts my 5' diameter willow tree, which I've wanted to get rid of for years, but it was never in the budget...it's a monster. I got them to include removal in the contract, but they don't want to do the stump. So I'll plan on using the potassium nitrate method when the time comes. Great thread & good ideas, thanks for posting.

aspeck

Staff member
I have about 60 -70 stumps that need to go ... I will be getting the Potassium Nitrate in bulk! Yikes! Will sure beat the beating my body would get with a stump grinder ... and 6-8 weeks????? That would be faster than the grinder till I was done!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I have about 60 -70 stumps that need to go ... I will be getting the Potassium Nitrate in bulk! Yikes! Will sure beat the beating my body would get with a stump grinder ... and 6-8 weeks????? That would be faster than the grinder till I was done!

WOW aspeck, with that many stumps, you will need a LOOTTTT of Potassium Nitrate. Have you ever thought about TNT or Dynamite? That would be a blast too! (pun intended)! I once hear of a guy that used empty plastic milk jugs and Oxygen and Acetylene mixed in the milk jugs and blasted stumps out of the ground. But that really depends on where you live and how forgiving your neighbors can be. :eek: :boom:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Water softener salt in drilled holes ... May take a little time but it will dry it out enough to chop it down eventually ... If no rain water it down here and there and add more salt ...

82rude

Rear Admiral
Sorry thats a description of one of the uses of p/n.Also major component in gunpowder refered to as saltpeter.I believe the OK CITY bombs were made from p/n and tracing it was how he got caught,i believe.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Sorry thats a description of one of the uses of p/n.Also major component in gunpowder refered to as saltpeter.I believe the OK CITY bombs were made from p/n and tracing it was how he got caught,i believe.

82rude, you are correct the OK City Bombing was using Potassium Nitrate and Diesel Fuel. Doesn't sound all that dangerous, but mixed in the proper ratios and you seen what it did. And yes, Potassium Nitrate IS the main ingredient of Black Powder as well. Potassium Nitrate, Charcoal and Sulfur are all the ingredients for Black Powder. But it takes more then just mixing the elements up. If has to be ball-milled to a very fine powder first and mixed in the exact proportions. If isn't hard to do, but it isn't simply mixing thing either.

82rude

Rear Admiral
Well if Capt Kirk can do it so can i :D actually i prefer to buy my blackpowder for all i use its cheap though i do love shooting the 50 cal hawkin for hours at a time.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Well if Capt Kirk can do it so can i :D actually i prefer to buy my blackpowder for all i use its cheap though i do love shooting the 50 cal hawkin for hours at a time.

Yea I do remember that episode and laughed at what they were pretending to do. Isn't that simple I can tell you. I have a few black powder guns. But the 58 cal CVA is a beast shooting that thing. :eek: I use Pyordex instead of Black Powder. A little more forgiving.

bigdee

Commander
ammonium nitrate
82rude, you are correct the OK City Bombing was using Potassium Nitrate and Diesel Fuel. Doesn't sound all that dangerous, but mixed in the proper ratios and you seen what it did. And yes, Potassium Nitrate IS the main ingredient of Black Powder as well. Potassium Nitrate, Charcoal and Sulfur are all the ingredients for Black Powder. But it takes more then just mixing the elements up. If has to be ball-milled to a very fine powder first and mixed in the exact proportions. If isn't hard to do, but it isn't simply mixing thing either.

The rock quarry close to where I live uses ammonium nitrate and diesel fuel to supplement the dynamite blasting.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
ammonium nitrate

The rock quarry close to where I live uses ammonium nitrate and diesel fuel to supplement the dynamite blasting.

Well both ammonium nitrate and potassium nitrates are both used for such things. When heated they both give off oxygen and therefore increase the burn rate of what ever is burning. Hence why they are called oxidizers. However, since this takes place in nano to milliseconds, it comes off as a big explosion.

If you ever studied gun powders like Alliant Bullseye and IMR 4350 and such ammo reloading powders, their burn rates really are important. When you do reload ammo, then powder burn rates come into play. You have to use the correct burn rate powders with the different ammo or real problems will occur.

For instance, you could probably get away with a really slow burn rate powder like IMR 4350 in a 9mm pistol round and while it won't be good, it will shoot. BUT, if you used a very fast burn rate powder like Alliant Bullseye in a 3006 cartridge, now you are going to blow up the gun and maybe yourself as well.

Just a little example of burn rates of gun powders. And everybody thinks that when you pull the trigger on any gun, a mere simple explosion happens without any issue. So much more to it. JMHO

bigdee

Commander
Well both ammonium nitrate and potassium nitrates are both used for such things. When heated they both give off oxygen and therefore increase the burn rate of what ever is burning. Hence why they are called oxidizers. However, since this takes place in nano to milliseconds, it comes off as a big explosion.

If you ever studied gun powders like Alliant Bullseye and IMR 4350 and such ammo reloading powders, their burn rates really are important. When you do reload ammo, then powder burn rates come into play. You have to use the correct burn rate powders with the different ammo or real problems will occur.

For instance, you could probably get away with a really slow burn rate powder like IMR 4350 in a 9mm pistol round and while it won't be good, it will shoot. BUT, if you used a very fast burn rate powder like Alliant Bullseye in a 3006 cartridge, now you are going to blow up the gun and maybe yourself as well.

Just a little example of burn rates of gun powders. And everybody thinks that when you pull the trigger on any gun, a mere simple explosion happens without any issue. So much more to it. JMHO

Yes the guys at the quarry call it it ANFO and that is all they use for blasting. They bore a hole into the rock bed and fill it with this "ANFO" then insert one stick of dynamite to set it off. It takes a large shockwave to make it explode so that is all the dynamite is used for....the ANFO does all the work.

82rude

Rear Admiral
I need to have a large tree removed from my backyard very soon.I called a tree removable service because im not able to do this myself due to medical issues.Guy is fully insured and a cert arborist.(sp).While chatting about my tree i mentioned this post and though he wasnt reccomending it, he told me an old time method of stump killing was to drill holes and pour diesel in.I have a wood stove in the garage so i will be keeping all wood above 5 inche dia.Though its one of those crappy manitoba maples it still burns and i can let it dry for a few years if necessary.I normally burn maple or oak as we have lots of that around.Kindling is courtesy of the many local and box store bussiness that put out softwood pallets for wood burners to take.

Last edited:

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
You are right Mr. rude. Another method was stacking old tires around the stump; then hear from neighbors complain about the smoke and soot drifting on their laundry on the clothesline. Can give a update! Put 16oz.plastic (Coke) in the holes.It gets a dose of ES; along with vinegar; or bleach; or whatever is handy. Got about 2lbs. of salt left. With the good advice TF and others have gave me; I'll be patient.

mla2ofus

Chief Petty Officer
I just had a 40' box elder tree removed and hired a tree trimming/removal service remove the stump with a grinder. They ground it down a foot below below ground and I wound up with a 5'x8' trailer load of excellent mulch, all for $220.
Mike

82rude

Rear Admiral
Mine is most likely 60 feet with a 1/2 million limbs.If i dont take it down it will fall soon as theres a massive hole about 12 feet up or so.Getting a great price for up here as he doesn't have to worry about hitting my large shed as i encourage it,lol.The sheds not insured and has to be demoed any way.60 feet may be selling it short.