Need simple fix/temp fix for metal handrailing rotted at cement stoop

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
I have original steel railing built into my cement stoop.In 2 places it has rusted out where the metal enters the cement.Need a quick or temp fix until i have time and $ to do it right.Was considering a small mold to pour some cement and raise it up to meet the metal where it has rusted .Just a small section right at the rusted metal spot.Was going to use a styrofoam outside faucet cover/winter insulator for a mold?? Any better ideas that are simple

alldodge

Staff member
I'm picturing a pole was stuck in cement

What about a steel bolt, rod or other that will slide inside the rail and also in the cement? Might need to drill out the inside of the cement side

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Yes,that would be more of the real fix I was going to eventually do.Just need a quickie for now.

alldodge

Staff member
Don't see pouring cement up higher sitting on top the original will support next to any load. If there is dirt on the side, could dig a hole and run a post up to support. Could also use some heavy angle braces, but this will take drilling into the concrete.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
I guess a pic would really help me here.What I have is iron,steele hand rails cemented into the stoop and are essentially cut off(rotted) at the point where they enter the stoop/cement.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Is it square or round tubing going into slab ?
What size ?
If 1 or 1.5 " hollow tube you could cut some rebar insert in hole letting it stick out then drive old post onto that .
Need more info ...

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Alldodge,that may be a good option but might be a little large.Sphelps the rebar may work the tube is square but only about an inch or 2 wide tops