Thinking about TIG'n

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral
Thinking about springing for a AC/DC TIG welder. I'd like one with HF start and some controllability of the TIG arc. Maybe pre and post flow control. Thinking of somewhere between 170 and 220 AMPS on a 220 unit. And it can't break the bank. Trying to keep it under 2K. Any thoughts???

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
look around on CL and your neighborhood garage sales. a buddy of mine picked up a miller 300 tig with water cooled torch for $200 because the torch leaked. two o-rings later and he was dime-rolling

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Under $2K should be easy. I bought my Thermal arc 185 years ago for less than that. The newer Thermal Arcs are no longer made in Japan though which is a bummer because it is an awesome machine.

I would stay away from the Harbor Freight machines and some of the other cheap Chinese machines like Longevity.

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
I bought a.Miller 280 dx....way over your price range but if you working with it paying for quality is the way to go....

A lot of guys over at welding Web swear by there Everlast stuff.

A used Dynasty 200 or 210 or a synchrowave 200 may fit your bill...

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral
So I ended up with an ESAB ET 186i AC DC unit. The biggest deciding factor was the lack of complaints or issues found on the web for the ESAB product. We'll see how it goes.