Case Study Abs Brakes

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I am glad the systems exist, not for me, but for the idiots that don't know how to drive in adverse conditions which happen 6-7 months of the year here. I am good in the snow and ice, but I have decades of experience driving in it, but as I get older I notice, that more of my defensive driving skills are challenged in the winter, they are not teaching the younger people or the people that move here from out of state how to drive in this stuff!

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Tough to get a lot of people to understand there is a lot of traction in snow. Ice, not so much....

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
I am glad the systems exist, not for me, but for the idiots that don't know how to drive in adverse conditions
The insurance companies agree!!

You are in a tiny minority! Most of the "drivers" out there are not competent in adverse condx!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
When I was working for an auto electronics company, we were required to take driving classes at our automotive proving grounds since we were driving modified cars. All the cars had switches that the instructor could turn off the ABS and stability systems. I was amazed at how much safer it was with everything turned on. For example, we would go through evasive maneuver training with everything turned on and turned off. You did NOT want to drive with it turned off. We did training on dry pavement and these "slick" pads that simulated something more like ice. In all instances you wanted the electronic controls on.

When an ABS hydraulic module failed on my Chevy truck, I got it fixed as soon as possible. $70 repair with someone on eBay instead of replacing it for $900.

dolluper

Captain
Well in conditions we have here in Canada they salt 2 inches of snow fall and it makes the road like riding on grease. The ABS systems make your car almost impossible to stop with these conditions many many accidents rear enders and this is why scary. Pull the ABS fuses and you control the pumping action which is much better in these type of conditions. Most of you guys don' t drive in such conditions as where these systems were developed. About 35 years ago l went on courses for anti skid brakes for tractor trailers carrying 60 ton and plus, the government outlawed them because the trucks would stop faster on dry pavement than cars but would not stop on 2 to 3 inches of snow. The trucks would be uncontrollable. So if you wish be your own fate but be wise to the conditions you live in. I have many years working with all types of computers rebuilding household?automotive and l don"t trust my life on them from experience and their rate of failure. Thankyou

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
If you are going to start disabling things that may save your life, might as well pull the fuses out of your airbag circuits then as well! LOL

dolluper

Captain
Will do better than metal bits in the face lfin you drive a non north American vehicle you may want to check for Air Bag recalls or you could end up with bits and pieces of metal in your face from a safety feature. GO FIGURE not a joke man

Last edited:

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
I have many years working with all types of computers rebuilding household?automotive and l don"t trust my life on them from experience and their rate of failure. Thankyou
ABS (for cars and trucks) has come a pretty long way. I've landed an aircraft at over 300,000lbs on slick runways at touchdown speeds of around 150mph. If the antiskid hadn't worked or been inop, It would have been impossible to stop in the available runway length. No one can prevent a wheel from locking up while still achieving maximum braking.

If you fly anywhere in an aircraft, you have trusted your life on them. Aircraft anti-skid systems aren't much different from automotive systems (since the automotive systems were modeled after aircraft systems.) They're designed to work the same: prevent wheel lockup and provide maximum braking if needed................And of course, they all do fail from time to time.

And I have driven on wet snow, dry snow and roads with snow and salt. I'll still take ABS brakes over non ABS everytime.

Not arguing with you of course.... just disagreeing!:thumb::thumb:

dolluper

Captain
Thank God runways are almost perfect no potholes. Plus the use of aggressive liquid salt and skid testing. These factors are not on the roads l will guarantee you the conditions are 100 percent different. Plus aircraft don"t only relay on only one sensor on each wheel like in automotive very different animal and we are very lucky they are as you are.l just hope you can fly manually if things go a miss otherwise l will never fly again.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
If you are going to start disabling things that may save your life, might as well pull the fuses out of your airbag circuits then as well! LOL

Passengers side airbag is turned off in all of my cars and the driver side is disabled in all of my cars.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
I have many years working with all types of computers rebuilding household?automotive and l don"t trust my life on them from experience and their rate of failure. Thankyou

It also seems automotive circuits are intertwined, when one circuit goes out it takes out others..... Especially with the traction systems......

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Let me guess...you don't wear seat belts either?

Not the majority of the time, but remember Bruce what I am up against when driving is completely different than what you are up against in Cali. You have to remember I can go to the next town west of where I live, that is over 80 miles away and never see another car and never drive on pavement, I wear my seat belt when in town and when traveling somewhere when I am in traffic.

km1125

Chief Petty Officer
I have been involved in testing and developing ABS systems, and have tested cars with and without the systems on roads and proving grounds. There is NO QUESTION in my mind that they are valuable and can help even an experienced driver in virtually all situations. There are some corner-cases, however, where an experienced driver could outperform a system and and there have been some reliability issues. I would still defer to using one versus just disabling it altogether. It would be nice to have a button to disable it as most traction control systems do, but I'm sure that would get overused my the typical driver, when they are the ones that need it most! YOU could always setup such a button on your car, so that it disabled the system until the next key cycle.

One place I know was an issue is when you're going downhill on the sand dunes. With an ABS system, the wheels won't lockup and buildup a pile of sand in front of the tire to stop the vehicle, whereas a locked up wheel would. Pull the fuse before you get out to the dunes and put it back in before you hit the road.

I ALWAYS use my seatbelt, so much so that I've put it on just to move my car to another parking spot. Not that I needed it in that application, just so much of a habit. I also make front seat passengers wear them, regardless of the law. Why? It keeps you (and them) in the seat so the driver can actually continue to drive the car or maintain control when "whatever" happens. If the driver swerves to avoid something and the passenger ends up in your lap, you'll have a hard time recovering.

dolluper

Captain
In developing these systems speed of vehicle should be considered also if the brakes are applied for a minute let's say that's to long to stop unless your going 150 mph. So at under 30 mph it should take less than 10 seconds to stop but with these systems as current it could take more than 20 seconds on greasy snow.l think they should be called skid brakes or non stop brakes

dolluper

Captain
It's funny to me the brain I acts that make these so called safety systems don't consider the braking power applied needed at different speeds and ROAD condition no sensor for road conditions

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
It's funny to me the brain I acts that make these so called safety systems don't consider the braking power applied needed at different speeds and ROAD condition no sensor for road conditions
Is this English or is there beer involved? :)

Last edited:

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Here's a Tesla on Auto.... And another vid to be fair