Rain-X Headlight Restore Kit - Great Product!

bigdee

Commander
We used that Rain-X stuff and the headlights looked good right after we did it, but it didn't last long. The haze came back.

We also found they were a bit stingy on some of the materials provided in the kit.

Perfect for sprucing up a vehicle for selling, but not a good long-term solution, IMO.

Problem with buffing headlights is that you remove the UV coating.....its all downhill from there. I haven't tried the Deet trick but transmission fluid wiped on every time I washed car worked for me. Also works on faded plastic trim.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Problem with buffing headlights is that you remove the UV coating.....its all downhill from there. I haven't tried the Deet trick but transmission fluid wiped on every time I washed car worked for me. Also works on faded plastic trim.

If it's yellow and dull the UV protection is gone at that point, it's why they cloud up again quicker.

DEET will melt the plastic slighty, so it smooth's out all the tiny irregularities in the surface that can reduce the clarity.

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Thanks for all the clarifications, guys. I myself didn't realize that the results wouldn't last very long. I touted the Rain-X because it was easy to use and cheaper than most.

Thing that occurs to me is, why aren't DOT and NHTSA all over this? DOT regulates what kind of lighting a car can have. Remember the old sealed beam incandescent headlights? It took them 20 years to approve halogen headlights for American cars. So, why is a condition that severely restricts, and distorts, light output allowed to persist?

bigdee

Commander
Thanks for all the clarifications, guys. I myself didn't realize that the results wouldn't last very long. I touted the Rain-X because it was easy to use and cheaper than most.

Thing that occurs to me is, why aren't DOT and NHTSA all over this? DOT regulates what kind of lighting a car can have. Remember the old sealed beam incandescent headlights? It took them 20 years to approve halogen headlights for American cars. So, why is a condition that severely restricts, and distorts, light output allowed to persist?

This is what state DOT annual vehicle inspections are supposed to catch. In NC it is on the checklist:
3) Any lens is cracked, broken, discolored, missing, or rotated away from the proper position, or any reflector that is not clean and bright.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Many states don't have vehicle inspections, including the one I am in, for non commercial vehicles. Actually, most don't have them.

Last edited:

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Many states don't have vehicle inspections including the one I am in.

Yes, but safety- and emissions-related items have their own federally-mandated warranties. While it would be unrealistic to have the fed regulate bulb life, a 'visibility' safety item that deteriorates so badly, in as little as a few years, maybe oughta be included.

Just thinking out loud.

bigdee

Commander
Many states don't have vehicle inspections, including the one I am in, for non commercial vehicles.

Lucky for you.....but most likely there are state vehicle requirements that could be enforced in ca.....
[h=3]Vehicle Code - VEH[/h]​
[h=4]DIVISION 12. EQUIPMENT OF VEHICLES [24000 - 28150][/h] ( Division 12 enacted by Stats. 1959, Ch. 3. )
[h=4]CHAPTER 2. Lighting Equipment [24250 - 26106][/h] ( Chapter 2 enacted by Stats. 1959, Ch. 3. )

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
That's why I changed out my headlight housings for OEM housings. I wanted to restore my headlight performance to OEM levels without the distortion of after market ones.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Lucky for you.....but most likely there are state vehicle requirements that could be enforced in ca.....
[h=3]Vehicle Code - VEH[/h]​
[h=4]DIVISION 12. EQUIPMENT OF VEHICLES [24000 - 28150][/h] ( Division 12 enacted by Stats. 1959, Ch. 3. )
[h=4]CHAPTER 2. Lighting Equipment [24250 - 26106][/h] ( Chapter 2 enacted by Stats. 1959, Ch. 3. )
You should read what that says...its for new vehicles sold in CA

bigdee

Commander
You should read what that says...its for new vehicles sold in CA

before you drift too far Bruce, I was just making a point. I don't know anything about CA and I wouldn't want to live there anyway but I bet the CHP could issue a citation for in-adequate lighting.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
You did get me curious. My friend's brother is a CHP officer. Going to ask him if they would ever pull someone over for cloudy headlights.

bigdee

Commander
I asked a friend of mine who's son is a NC HP to ask him about this. His son said that it was at his discretion to issue a warning citation (improper equipment) for ANY abnormal equipment on a motor vehicle. A warning ticket carries no fine as long as you make repairs and have vehicle inspected. He has issued warning citations at night for dim or off color lights.

alldodge

Staff member
The headlight spec for autos is really old and next to any head light, even a dull one will pass the test. Been on the news that Prius with LED lights is the best these days. My 2008 Ram pickup shows next to no signs or fogging, but it stays in the garage most the time.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
but it stays in the garage most the time.
That's the key. My GF's Honda is in the garage or in a parking building 99% of its life. It's lights look like brand new. Other cars of the exact same model and year have foggy lights.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
That is one thing they do get sticky for here in Montana, we have so many dark rural areas that they really pay attention to lighting. I have been pulled over quite a few times over the years for dim headlights or a tail light burned out. We have a lot of hazards that show up on the road at night in the dark, horses, cows, deer, elk, moose, bears, etc. You name it we got it!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
This is what my Lexus looked like when I replaced them with OEM. Yes, the whole bumper and grill had to come off. This was only 6 months after I did something similar to the Rain-X treatment. The cars is an 05 and this was a little over a year ago. Its sits out in the CA sun 24/7
20160409_124424.jpg

JoLin

Vice Admiral
I asked a friend of mine who's son is a NC HP to ask him about this. His son said that it was at his discretion to issue a warning citation (improper equipment) for ANY abnormal equipment on a motor vehicle. A warning ticket carries no fine as long as you make repairs and have vehicle inspected. He has issued warning citations at night for dim or off color lights.

My point is that it shouldn't be the owner who takes the hit for a defective or poorly designed component of the car. If I'm driving around with a burned-out bulb, that's my bad. Bulbs, oil, brakes, tires, windshield wipers... all fall under the heading of consumables that need to be replaced periodically. They're specifically excluded from warranties, and we all understand that they wear out. What we're discussing here is (IMO) a safety item akin to air bags and seat belts, that the manufacturers and the fed allow to exist. Would it be acceptable if your windows turned hazy after a few years? Doesn't seem right.