Rain-X Headlight Restore Kit - Great Product!

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Getting the 2007 Mitsubishi ready to sell. The headlight covers were a mess- just like the 'before' pictures on the infomercials. One of the car magazines reviewed a bunch of them, and the Rain-X kit came in near the top, but much cheaper than most, like 3-M.

I bought it on Amazon through one of their partners. Free shipping, no tax, Just under $12.00 total. I used the kit today. There's a 'lubricant' you use with 3 levels of small rubberized 'sanding' pads. Each is finer than the last. Where Rain-X advised performing a step once or twice, I did each 3 times. Took about an hour and some elbow grease, but they came out literally like brand new.

My only beef is that, while there are more than enough materials to do several sets of headlights, there isn't enough of the lubricant. The bottle's nearly empty. There's a note on the package that says it contains 'surfactants'. I looked that up and it's simply something that breaks the surface tension of water, making it 'wetter'. Well, that's what stuff like dishwashing detergent does. I have a bottle of glycerine (available for about $3.00 at any drug store), so I think I'll use that when I do the boat gauges in the spring.

Just wanted to share- it's cheap and works like a champ.

My .02

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
The question is, how long will it last. I think it is unconscionable that auto mfgs use plastic that does not hold up. Even a lot of high end cars have that problem.

David Young

Chief Petty Officer
Just like JoLin said. Got the 2007 ready to sell :). I used this on my 1996 Ford Taurus 'years ago' when I had it. The left side headlight lens would always look hazed. I used this and it would look "great", for almost 2 months". :( When and if my lens on my old truck start messing up, I will buy "New" headlight lens when the time comes :)

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I did the lens polish game with my Lexus for awhile. I just broke down and bought new OEM headlights at the tune of over $500. At least in the Lexus forums, the aftermarket ones are junk and last around a year before they start yellowing.

David Young

Chief Petty Officer
In most cases don't you have to buy a whole housing? I wonder if aftermarket replacements use any better plastic?

​Depends on the vehicle. I would be willing to bet aftermarket lens wouldn't be as good as the factory ones. I know replacement lens on my old truck are less than $60 for both. I would hope the replacement lens will last for several years before they 'cloud up', better than using the lens restorer every 2 months :)

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Another thing with aftermarket lenses is that their light patterns can be really screwed up depend on what manufacturer in China they came from.

southkogs

Staff member
I bought cheap replacement lenses for my 04 Dodge Ram - they've been fine for almost three years now. For the cost - if I have to replace them again in another year or so, it's still not bad. Under $100 for both of 'em.

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Just like JoLin said. Got the 2007 ready to sell :). I used this on my 1996 Ford Taurus 'years ago' when I had it. The left side headlight lens would always look hazed. I used this and it would look "great", for almost 2 months". :( When and if my lens on my old truck start messing up, I will buy "New" headlight lens when the time comes :)

Might make sense for me to use the Rain-X 'final step' polish every couple of months? It only takes a few minutes to apply it, and maybe it'll keep them from getting etched again? I dunno. This car is going away, but I'm picking up a 2015 Equinox on Monday. Be nice if there's a way to keep the deterioration from starting.

Last edited:

bigdee

Commander
old car dealer slick trick....wipe down with Dextron transmission fluid. Lasts a couple of weeks. I used to do mine every time I washed car. Finally bought some after-market lights for <$100 for the pair.....held up fine.

Brandon5778

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I did the lens polish game with my Lexus for awhile. I just broke down and bought new OEM headlights at the tune of over $500. At least in the Lexus forums, the aftermarket ones are junk and last around a year before they start yellowing.

I've got a 97 ES300 that had the headlights fogging pretty badly and someone told me to spray a paper towel in off deep woods 40% deet bug spray and wipe them all down. It actually worked like a charm and has lasted a LONG time. Try it! Just be careful not to get it on the car's paint, have another rag handy to wipe it down if anything runs because it'll damage the paint if left on it.

David Young

Chief Petty Officer
Might make sense for me to use the Rain-X 'final step' polish every couple of months? It only takes a few minutes to apply it, and maybe it'll keep them from getting etched again? I dunno. This car is going away, but I'm picking up a 2015 Equinox on Monday. Be nice if there's a way to keep the deterioration from starting.

​I wouldn't do anything to your 2015. Times have changed and things have gotten better. I've 'never' seen a newer vehicle with the hazed headlight lens for the last 5-7 years. Must have been improvements in plastic used for the lens. The lens on my 2011 Mustang still look like new and I've never done anything to them other than normal washing along with the car :)

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
I bought cheap replacement lenses for my 04 Dodge Ram - they've been fine for almost three years now. For the cost - if I have to replace them again in another year or so, it's still not bad. Under $100 for both of 'em.
Me too, brother still has the truck and they look fine. I cleaned them up twice, never did look great

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I keep a tube or two of Colgate tooth paste and a foam drill pad, a few minutes with that and a bucket of water, looks like new. Make sure and get the tooth paste with pumice in it and it will polish anything in a few minutes.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
​I wouldn't do anything to your 2015. Times have changed and things have gotten better. I've 'never' seen a newer vehicle with the hazed headlight lens for the last 5-7 years. Must have been improvements in plastic used for the lens. The lens on my 2011 Mustang still look like new and I've never done anything to them other than normal washing along with the car :)
Does your Mustang sit outside all day? I have a friend with a 2012 Camry and its all fogged up. Of course his car sits outside and is also in California.

jkust

Rear Admiral
The HID oem lenses can be extremely expensive to replace and like Bruce mentioned above, if the lighting pattern is off, you will have trouble.
I always assumed the fogging was rock chips/sandblasting.

bigdee

Commander

Although polycarbonate is a very hard plastic, it is very porous. While there are many advantages to using polycarbonate, one major drawback is that over time oxidation can change the physical properties of the headlight lens surface. The lenses have a factory applied UV resistant .03 mil thick silicone coating to help protect and preserve the porous plastic from the environment. Once this protective barrier weakens and wears, the lenses are exposed to many elements. Daily exposure to the sun's harsh UV rays is the biggest contributor to the deterioration (oxidation) and discoloring of the polycarbonate lens surface. However, UV rays and heat from the sun isn't the only culprit; intense heat from the halogen bulb also has a negative effect over time...as does acid rain, humidity, insects, road debris, chemicals, vehicle exhaust, and car wash brushes.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
I just hit them with the buffer every now and then, takes about 2 minutes and may last 6 months or so.

bigdee

Commander
One tip to prolonging life of lenses: Program lights to remove the on delay when ignition is turned off and turn off daytime running light option. The lenses are cooled by air movement and heat is one cause of degradation.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
We used that Rain-X stuff and the headlights looked good right after we did it, but it didn't last long. The haze came back.

We also found they were a bit stingy on some of the materials provided in the kit.

Perfect for sprucing up a vehicle for selling, but not a good long-term solution, IMO.