Zero turn mowers .

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Yeah I usually just mow em but they get so thick I do think it stunts the grass growth some .. It is mostly live and water oak leaves and I have heard they are kinda acidic . I also put them in flower beds sometimes it seems to help keep the weeds down a little .. Or at least covers them up for a while .. :lol: :facepalm:
My thought on running the zt slow was if the motor wasn't pumping the hydro as fast that it may do harm to the transmission somehow ...idk ..Overheat maybe ..

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Sam, my old tractor style mower is hydrostatic drive using a transmission like in the zero turn machines. And my transmission has an external fan on it that blows air across it. So even slow speed still has air going by it. I don't about yours, but I would think it would have the same type setup for cooling. :noidea:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Little follow up ..
Got a little over 7 hrs on the Gravely now ... Probably mow 1 or 2 more times before the first oil change ...
Observations
Pro's ....
Fast with plenty of power , cuts mowing time in half . Seat is comfortable with with foot rest in a good spot for me ..Now that I have got some time on it the maneuverability is awesome !!! The foot pedal deck height quick change is great ... I'm able to lift the deck to clear high oak roots on the fly then right back to mowing height . Which I run at 3.5 inches .. Time will tell on dependability ..
Cons...
Biggest one more of an annoyance is the extra large discharge really kicks the dirt and leaves up in a cloud that ends up covering me from head to toe ..
But at the same time it doesn't get clogged up ..The exhaust which dumps out the back at the bottom gets hot but only a problem when I'm pulling the leaf sweeper or a wagon unhooking it ... The pin gets pretty dang hot ...With the deck kind of in the middle of the mower sometimes I can't get as close as I would like to obstacles but that happens on a regular lawn tractor also .. Going sideways on hills at steep inclines seems a bit tipsy at times ... Need more practice I guess ..
Can't drink a cold one while mowing unless I mow in circles ... Gotta stop to get refreshed ..:cold:
Regrets ???
None really other than I wish I had gotten the 52 instead of the 42 .. Not because I would get done faster but with the added width of the deck sticking out the side it would make it better for cutting down the fence line without getting grabbed by the limbs and briars that I need to cut back .. :lol:
But the 42 does take up less space in the garage ...
All in all I'm very pleased so far ! :)