Zero turn mowers .

alldodge

Staff member
Don't see where the Courage model is being used, there showing Command Pro 7000 series

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I guess all motors can have problems . You can google kohlers and kawa's and find all sorts of problems ..
The smart choke on the kohlers seem to be a trouble spot quite often ...

Last edited:

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Have you checked the home owner grade Kubota mowers? I have no idea on the price. I know at least some have Kohler motors. I swear by Kohler. I've had a couple and have put then thru heck and back. Very strong, reliable motor.

I have a Cub garden tractor non ZT mower with 1300hrs + on the Kohler motor, 2005. Paid $3500 back then. Same price whether I bought it at an Implement store or Home Depot. MTD set the price and that's what it cost no matter where you bought it... Only have changed oil. It has a stamped deck which has seemed to be holding up well. Thicker than the older riders in which the sand country I live in eventually blasted a few small holes in the deck...... Cub has been made by MTD for a while. MTD makes a bunch of the mowers out there. Including low-end JDs...

My ZT is a ZD331 Kubota 72" fabricated deck. 1800#s dry. 31hp 3 cylinder diesel. It's a beast and full on commercial. But, you probably don't need that.......

Last edited:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Ya know I had not considered a Kubota .. I'll give them a call tomorrow and see if they have something in my price range ..
http://www.kubota.com/product/ZD1000/ZD1000.aspx
I've never owned a diesel anything .. :lol:
Just a quick search doesn't look promising for my p/r though ...

Last edited by a moderator:

WIMUSKY

Staff member
I did a ton of research before buying a Kubota. I personally looked at a bunch of different higher end stuff. Kubota was built the best, at least at that time......

Here's mine if you click on the ZD331.........
http://www.kubota.com/product/Z300/Z300.aspx

Probably want to stay away from diesels, that will jack the price up. Plenty of gas models tho.....

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Dang ! That's one heck of a mower ! It's got a 12 gal fuel tank ! You must have a pretty large area to take care of ...

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Ya, one place is the local school. I'm kinda in the lawn biz......

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
The deal is done !

Took an hour to almost cut the whole yard ... Once I learn the controls a little better my time should get better ... I did almost take out a canopy support pole when I first started .. :facepalm:
Got it tucked into it's new storage spot waiting on grass to grow .. ;) I can't believe how much easier it is to navigate around stuff compared to tractor mower !
Hopefully it last a good while ... Thanks guys for all the responses!

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Congrats, phelps! ZTs are way different than the standard rider. Faster cutting fer sure...... I was all over the lawn when I bought mine, it was a hoot...... Enjoy!

alldodge

Staff member
Congrats, it is fun compared to a tractor and more then twice as fast. Mine came with the side discharge shoot but I never put it on, its still in bubble rap. Just need to watch more closely were forks are. I'll spin around are go backwards if I don't want to wait.

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
You will fall in love with that seat! Put one her Cub; it is comfortable! Mr. WIMusky; the salesman talked me out of buying that mower. He said it was too much mower for my needs. So far he is right. Do you realize your grandkids kids will still be using it?

jimbo_jwc

Ship Happens
The deal is done !

Took an hour to almost cut the whole yard ... Once I learn the controls a little better my time should get better ... I did almost take out a canopy support pole when I first started .. :facepalm:
Got it tucked into it's new storage spot waiting on grass to grow .. ;) I can't believe how much easier it is to navigate around stuff compared to tractor mower !
Hopefully it last a good while ... Thanks guys for all the responses!

Will cut trimming time ,you must have to mow around a lot its small deck , with blower side attch 3 bags w/front weight clean yard twice a year but it makes 54" realy wide .

WIMUSKY

Staff member
You will fall in love with that seat! Put one her Cub; it is comfortable! Mr. WIMusky; the salesman talked me out of buying that mower. He said it was too much mower for my needs. So far he is right. Do you realize your grandkids kids will still be using it?

No doubt. It's very heavy duty and the diesel should last virtually forever. But for my needs it's perfect. As I mentioned, one of my accounts is a school. Part of the area I mow is 15 acres. So that 72" deck is handy. And I wanted a rig that would last so I wouldn't have to replace it...... My Kubota fits the bill.....

aspeck

Staff member
Congrats on your ZT ... they are fun! I personally have a Cub ZT with the fabricated deck ... love it. Also have 3 eXmarks (54, 60, and 72 inch), and a Woods ZT's. Hate the Woods, love the others!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Thanks guys ! Ok I have a question ... I hate raking leaves so I bought a cheap lawn sweeper from H/D ... Looking at the reviews the manufacturer advises to not pull over 3 mph and try not to make real sharp turns because it has some plastic gears that will wear down quickly if you do ...My plan is to do a little work on an old yard machine I have .. It runs fine just needs a little work . Use it to pull the sweeper and maybe a cart ... In the meantime I am using the Gravely to pull it ... My question . Is it ok to run the zt at say 3/4 throttle and just putt around going slow with it til I get the other mower usable ?
Other than having to empty the sweeper quite often is does work fairly well ...

alldodge

Staff member
Is it ok to run the zt at say 3/4 throttle and just putt around going slow with it til I get the other mower usable ?

Should not be a problem, you can run it as slow as you want to. Check manual, if there was an issue it should be listed.

Mine just turns a hydraulic pump, so running slower just turns the pump slower

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I don't know abut everybody else, but I never rake leaves. I simply mow them over into small chips and let them decompose back into the yard as nutrients. And I have been doing that for decades. And people tell me that I have one of the best looking yards in the neighborhood. The first mow after fall as things start to grow again closer to spring time, I just take the time to mow over all the leaves. Yes it takes a long time to get them all ground up, but there are no leaves remaining afterwards and they make the grass grow really well.

I do like your new zero turn. If I could only convince myself to spend the money. My present mower is about 18 years old now. And every year I fix things that otherwise would make it obsolete. But I have a hard time justifying spending the money for a new mower. And it would have to be a zero turn as well. :facepalm:

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Yup, leaves are free fertilizer. Just mulch 'em good until they're fine pieces.

You can run the mower as slow or fast as you want..... Speed of the mower is controlled by how far you push the levers forward. Speed of the motor is controlled by the throttle lever. I wouldn't dog the motor, but 3/4 setting is fine.