Zero turn mowers .

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Been checking out c/l for maybe a used ZT mower . But the Admiral has given the green light to maybe getting a new one . I can't afford a commercial grade so will be looking at residential / entry level mowers . Had thought about a Hustler or a Gravely . These are pretty close to the same warranty with similar parts .. Are the box store mowers built as well as these entry level mowers ? I would like a fabricated deck vs a stamped one . Not sure if the Gravely offers that in the 3000$ range .
The Hustler does ..
Any thoughts ?

charleso

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hustler makes a good mower, which engine is on the one you are looking at?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
The gravely is the commercial line of Ariens. Having been in charge of product development for Ariens and some of the Gravely models, I would pick Gravely over the Hustler

The stamped decks from Gravely and Ariens perform better than the fabricated decks as they have better air flow.

Thousands of hours of CFD analysis have gone into the stamped decks.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Hustler has the Kohler motors at that level .
Scott I have heard that the stamped decks have a better air flow which I would guess means less clogging . Just concerned with durability . You know how our environment down here has it's way with anything metal .. I wouldn't be totally against a stamped deck if I knew it would last ...

alldodge

Staff member
Bought a Hustler fastrack about 18 years ago, still going strong, no repairs just maintenance stuff. Oh and I'm still using the original belt. When I bought the mower I asked about getting a spare, he said it will be a long time

I have the Honda, but could also have the Kohler. The deck never gets clogged up

alldodge

Staff member
I would think I would be better off buying one from a dealer rather than the box store.

Agree, you will get a better deal and each dealer can give you a different price. The price is tightly controlled but they can reduce the price for a trade in, and a trade doesn't have to be a lawn mower if you catch my drift.

Are the JD's and Cub Cadets of the world equal in quality ? Toro's ect ...

IMO not in the same class. JD's use to be top notch machines, the new ones not so much. As an example, mother in law gave her 20 some year old tractor to son in law and bought a new larger one about 7 years ago, the old one is still running strong, the new one has had problems, and the deck is real thin

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Hustler has the Kohler motors at that level .
Scott I have heard that the stamped decks have a better air flow which I would guess means less clogging . Just concerned with durability . You know how our environment down here has it's way with anything metal .. I wouldn't be totally against a stamped deck if I knew it would last ...

Drive out to serbring, talk to the lawn care crew. Sebring race track is one of the long-term test sites. Fabricated decks dont last any longer than stamped. Decks. All of the Ariens and Gravely produsts must pass thousands of hours on the bump track and all of them are stress coated and strain gauged.

The residential gravely is the exact same as the ariens except paint color. The Ariens would have a slightly lower price

As far as motors, Kawasaki, Kohler, Briggs, Honda, and Subaru all make motors....they all break down. I would take the Subaru over the Kawasaki over the Kohler and last of all the Briggs. The carbs on the Biggs come from china and suck, they come from the same place Toro gets their whole motor.

John Deere lawn tractors are currently made by Husqvarna just like the Ariens Lawn Tractors (we couldnt build them for as low as we could buy them). Same goes for most of the small 21" mowers coming from Husqvarna. (they private label most of the lawn tractors and push mowers)

JD snow blowers used to be Ariens Pro units, then a while back JD switched to Husqvarna

All 2-stroke and most of the 4-stroke weed eaters come from the same MTI facility in china. Brand is a decal and change in color of plastic parts.

jimbo_jwc

Ship Happens
Found 2013 54" Gravely ZTR $1600. they sold knowing under powered w/bagger .I didn't know till I started pushing it hard . You can find deals like this of others .All I had to do to the big Kawasaki engine was remove valve cover replace bent pushrod and tighten up rocker assy . Its got fabricated deck 500 hrs and it only cost $ 13 to fix and Im sure they knew about as he had since new .When I asked about using professionally said no and he only mowed 10 lawns hence the hours as I only put between 50 to 100 per year mowing . really like as ifs fast mows nice on not to hilly yard .

Scott Danforth

Staff member
So would it be worth the extra few 100 to go with Gravely for Dealer support ?

Most Ariens and Gravely dealers are the same. However there are some Gravely only dealers. The dealer channel is fantastic when it comes to service and support.

If its a gravely only dealer, use the knowledge of Ariens and Gravely, negotiate a slightly lower cost on the Gravely

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Just went and looked at both mowers .. I can get this mower ZTX out the door for 3200 https://www.gravely.com/en-us/zero-turn-mowers/gravely-zt-x#pr-header-back-to-top-link It is a little step up from the ZT model ...About 300 bucks less for the ZT ..
The Raptor SD out the door 3800 https://www.hustlerturf.com/products/raptor-sd 22hp with the zt2800 trans.
The reg Raptor out the door 2750 .. 22hp EZT sealed trans..

I like both mowers really .
I wish the Gravely ZTX had zt 2800 trans but it does have the bigger 24 hp motor ... The ZT XL does have the zt 2800 trans and is about the same price as the Raptor SD ... Those are getting out of my price range though ...
Tough choice !

alldodge

Staff member
Just for reference, mine is a 20hp 52 inch cut, and will cut the grass as fast as you can push it. My buddy bought a farm and was cutting about 5 acres with it and it was tall, it didn't slow down and kept cutting. He had a Arians Z motor and he said mine was far better then his and he was cutting short areas.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Saw this and thought it was kinda funny ..
I thought the DC ers where the fastest . :lol:
Probably not the comp.mower ...

charleso

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have one of the green colored mowers. They do farm out manufacturing to other companies. I will probably never purchase another. It has a Briggs motor on it. Never again!!! As far as stamped vs fabricated deck, go with the stamped, it will hold up way better than the average residential grade fab deck. Just my two cents worth.

jimbo_jwc

Ship Happens
Just went and looked at both mowers .. I can get this mower ZTX out the door for 3200 https://www.gravely.com/en-us/zero-turn-mowers/gravely-zt-x#pr-header-back-to-top-link It is a little step up from the ZT model ...About 300 bucks less for the ZT ..
The Raptor SD out the door 3800 https://www.hustlerturf.com/products/raptor-sd 22hp with the zt2800 trans.
The reg Raptor out the door 2750 .. 22hp EZT sealed trans..

I like both mowers really .
I wish the Gravely ZTX had zt 2800 trans but it does have the bigger 24 hp motor ... The ZT XL does have the zt 2800 trans and is about the same price as the Raptor SD ... Those are getting out of my price range though ...
Tough choice !

The one I bought was the ZT XL Kawasaki manual suggested a valve adjustment at I think 200 hrs and IT has the good Trans .

alldodge

Staff member
Have never seen anyone try to dispute that the DC were the fastest

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
The Admiral cuts our grass; '12 Cub Cadet RZT50. Has been a awesome machine. Just blades; belts. a 50 hr.oil changes on a 22hp Kawasaki. It has the stamped deck and still in great shape. I think the reason why people are (were) against stamped decks is they would rust out mainly because they left wet crud on top of the deck.Also a lot of them are left outside to wither away beside the boat.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Still going over things in my head .. I am leaning towards the GRAVELY ZTX .. It's pretty much at the top end of my budget . I really wish it had the zt 2800 trans but it does have some other features that I was wanting . I'm just using it for my lawn which at the moment is about 1.5 acre but I may clear the rest which would be 3 acre's all together .. Flat with one slightly sloped septic hill .. I guess the ezt trans should last a long time and if it went out would be cheaper to replace than the 2800 idk ..
Really like the Raptor SD and the Gravely ZT XL .. Just hate pulling the extra cash out of my back pocket .. :twitch:

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral
Before you make your final choice for power google kohler courage engine problems. It may effect your decission.