SSD Harddrive for laptops?

southkogs

Staff member
Even the tablets are worth exploring. Email and web surfing don't really require much. If you most of your document work in Google Docs, you can do quite a bit just from a tablet. Make sure you understand printing options vs. your need to print though ... some do okay, others don't.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Using SSD for continuous data logging is not what they are intended for. Blasting the same area of the drive over and over is a sure fire way of ruining the flash memory that an SSD drive is made of. SSDs are good for storing info and reading it but really bad if you are writing and over writing the same area of the drive.
Long story short, due to past history in the industry, platter drives mounted on the shop floor are frowned upon for environmental issues (heavy shock and vibration). What type of disk drive is utilized in your system is one of the first questions customers ask. A platter drive is the wrong answer.

Keep in mind we’re not using your typical home PC disks. We use Enterprise SSDs which were developed for heavy read/write server applications. I am told our drives are endurance rated of up to 400TB utilizing compression / write technologies to maximize the life of the drive.

That’s more than enough to meet the one (1) year of day to day error logs and complied data reports demanded by customers.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Long story short, due to past history in the industry, platter drives mounted on the shop floor are frowned upon for environmental issues (heavy shock and vibration). What type of disk drive is utilized in your system is one of the first questions customers ask. A platter drive is the wrong answer.

Keep in mind we’re not using your typical home PC disks. We use Enterprise SSDs which were developed for heavy read/write server applications. I am told our drives are endurance rated of up to 400TB utilizing compression / write technologies to maximize the life of the drive.

That’s more than enough to meet the one (1) year of day to day error logs and complied data reports demanded by customers.

Yeah what maximizes NAND memory drives is wear leveling capability. Not all have it in their controllers either.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Might be worth looking into. I mostly use this Toshiba (which is acting very well this morning) for surfing. It looks like you could get into a Chromebook for not much more than the cost of an SSD and RAM upgrade.

I changed the hard drive on this HP Pavilion a couple of years ago. It had Win7 on a 7200RPM SATA HD. Now it has WIN10 on that same 7200 RPM HD. Every now and then I swap the HD in and do an update.

With the SSD, I installed OpenSUSE 42.2 Linux. It works perfect and boots in seconds (instead of minutes)

If you only want to use the computer for "surfing", you might consider Linux (Mint, Ubuntu, Fedora etc.............. Chrome is Linux by the way.....)
You also don't have to call MS and ask Bill Gates if it's ok install on a different HD.(or different computer for that matter)

http://www.linlap.com/toshiba_satellite_c655d

For surfing and email, it's flawless. You can buy a 256gb SSD from Newegg and many others for around $100.

Cheers,

Rick

Oh, forgot to also say, it's FREE (like free beer)

Last edited:

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
my 1.3 GHz AMD E-300.
According to CNET that could be an Intel Celeron dual core 1.6mhz x64 processor.

Just did a little more hardware compatibility searching. It appears that particular model has some issues.....

I would still try it but I have WAY too much time on my hands!

If it worked ok before, an SSD will help but only with boot time and application loading......

fishrdan

Admiral
Boomyal;n10342550 its balkyness only seems to be intermittant said:
So, exactly what's acting lethargic, how is it acting slow and how long had it been acting up?

I agree with that those that say an SSD isn't the cure-all, and if you have other issues (hardware, software, malware) an SSD might not resolve them. Though, I haven't regretted putting an SSD in computers I've upgraded.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
So, exactly what's acting lethargic, how is it acting slow and how long had it been acting up?

As mentioned, super slow page loads. Some times I get a message that "a web page is slowing......", lagging text typing. sometimes I can type several words before the first letter shows up (like now) and videos that are slow to load and then stop and start along the way. Also with vids (like YouTube, etc., the audio will continue on but the video will completely stall out and keep showing the same frame.

I have run anti virus searches and nothing shows up. I repeatedly run malware programs and end up having few to no issues. Seems like it has just been doing this for the last 6-8 months or so. The computer is 3-4 years old, running Win 7.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
An SSD will not help that. You have other issues that are causing those.

I would do a fresh OS install.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
As mentioned, super slow page loads. Some times I get a message that "a web page is slowing......", lagging text typing. sometimes I can type several words before the first letter shows up (like now) and videos that are slow to load and then stop and start along the way. Also with vids (like YouTube, etc., the audio will continue on but the video will completely stall out and keep showing the same frame.

I have run anti virus searches and nothing shows up. I repeatedly run malware programs and end up having few to no issues. Seems like it has just been doing this for the last 6-8 months or so. The computer is 3-4 years old, running Win 7.

An SSD wouldn't fix this problem. have you run a disk cleanup? do you have the latest versions of Flash Player, have you done a disk defrag, and what browser are you using? If you have a fast internet connection (Cable or DSL) go into your browser settings and reduce the size of the "CACHE" to zero. Erase your browser history

Are you using Chrome or Firefox? Are you using Adblock Plus? Windows can really grow temp files. Do a search on how to remove "tmp" files (they can be huge)

The other "fix" would be to do a clean install. Windows requires that sometimes. If you do that, be prepared for literally 24hrs of updates and reboots. Some reboots require you to be there to click "OK".......although WIn7 is better in that it can actually do most reboots on it's own....

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral

Are you sure this isn't a network/Internet connection problem? We had a connector on a signal amplifier go bad in our house (we have Xfinity TV-Cable-Phone service). The connector was introducing enough noise into the system that it was slowing our connectivity as well as that of several of our neighbors. We were having the same issues as you - on multiple machines - and the new connector fixed things up.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
I am running off a wireless router. My wife's HP runs off the same router and does not have these problems. One thing that I have been meaning to do was to take this Toshiba over to a wired connection and see how it works. I am using FireFox. I run CC Cleaner regularly. I have run Defrag but my HD is only about 1/4-1/3 full.

Our service is CenturyLink Fiber Optic DSL. I just ran a speed test and it showed 15.43 on the download, 4.98 on the upload with a latency of 21 ms.

I do use Adblock Plus. According to Firefox my Flash Player is up to date and my browser history is turned off. What are the effects of reducing my cache to zero?

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
my current cache use is 3.2 mb. My Cache limit is set to 350 mb.

Last edited:

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
my current cache use is 3.2 mb. My Cache limit is set to 350 mb.

Your cache is probably not a problem at all. With a fast internet connection, you don't really need to "store" (cache) files. It was more helpful when we were all using 2400 baud modems!

If you're running wireless, you might try changing the wifi "channel" you're using. Sometimes if you have close neighbors and they're all using wifi, same channel, you can get packet crashes (causing multiple retries and slow-downs). determining which channel has the lowest use (or no use) and switching to that one can speed up your throughput.

Switching to wired ethernet will speed it up too if that's the problem.

fishrdan

Admiral
How does a different browser act, like IE10(or 11) or Google Chrome?

Seems like it has just been doing this for the last 6-8 months or so.

Interesting... Microsoft released a broken "Windows Updater" update back in that time frame. It would cause Win updates to stop working properly and also cause high processor usage, and with the slow processor you have it could be taxing the processor to the point of being very noticeable.

Go into Windows Updates, click on "View update history" and let us know what's listed in the updates. Did they stopped at a certain date, updates failing, updates installing successfully. There are a couple Windows "KB"s that can be downloaded and installed to resolve the problem, if your laptop has the broken updater problem.

I should also ask, do you have your laptop set to update Windows automatically?

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
It is set for automatic updates and it appears, in view history, to be doing so.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Does it do the same thing on different browsers? Have you tried Chrome?

Try turning off all your anti virus program and see what happens.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Does it do the same thing on different browsers? Have you tried Chrome?

Try turning off all your anti virus program and see what happens.

I have not tried Chrome. I will download it and try it. The only realtime protection I have is Microsoft Essentials.