Need a Google Cloud link

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
This business is enough to make one feel dumb. I would like a sign in link to see what has been backed up in the Google cloud from my phone. I have spent countless time on the phone with Verizon and Samsung and neither could help me identify and confirm what has been backed up or even if it is syncing, in particular, with my Google calendar.. They told me that I would have to contact Google. That seems it would be another nightmare trying to contact them.

I have been unable to find the link that would allow me to see what is backed up. I did find a link that verified my phone is registered with Google cloud but no link to verify that my calendar has been backed up as well as my contacts, photos, etc,

wrvond

Chief Petty Officer
calendar.google.com

There's a link for it in the upper right hand corner of the Google search window.

southkogs

Staff member
2 things for ya' Boomer: 1) this is kind of "Google Central" - https://www.google.com/drive/ - - it's probably the most "looks like a hard drive" approach to how your data is organized in the Google "cloud." BUT, there are really a few different ways to see data.

2) the data on your phone is only backed up to Google if you're using the Google apps. For example: I use an iPhone, and right now my calendar and some of the documents I want handy are all done through Google. But my contacts (phone numbers and such) are all still using Apple products, and I actually just back those up locally (on my hard drive) ... so that data isn't in Google's cloud. Each of your phone's apps backs data up differently.

If you're doing a backup of the phone (sort of like a clone of the whole thing in case you have something catastrophic happen), it may or may not be in Google's cloud. That depends on the software that backs up your particular phone. In the case of my iPhone, you back it up using iTunes and Apple's iCloud, so not much of my data is in Google.

Hope that helps.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I have no such things but I seriously have to ask, is such a "cloud" backup really safe? We read near daily about things being hacked and sending all your data from your computer to an off computer site for backup seems risky to me. Obviously I'm not a computer nerd at all. :noidea:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I use cloud back up. If my house ever burns down, I want offsite backup.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I have no such things but I seriously have to ask, is such a "cloud" backup really safe? We read near daily about things being hacked and sending all your data from your computer to an off computer site for backup seems risky to me. Obviously I'm not a computer nerd at all. :noidea:

Depends a lot on whose server your data resides. I worry less about stuff stored on Google's drives than stuff on my home computer. Google is more secure and they backup data regularly, unlike most of us with our home machines or mobile devices.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Spent time with google tech today. Found out where to view all of my contacts on google cloud. For some reason, google will not back up any calendar events, both bygone and future, that I had entered before today. They had me go to google in application mgr and, delete data, clear cache and force stop. Any events that I enter from now forward, sync with calendar.google.com. They had no idea why it wouldn't pick up previously entered events. All previously entered events were entered on the phone with wifi and data off. That should not make any difference as they should have synced once data or wifi was re-engaged.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
You didn't create you calendar events associated with your google account. That was the issue. In you other thread you said your events said this --> Events(My calendar)

They need to show up as Events(youraccount@gmail.com)

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
You didn't create you calendar events associated with your google account. That was the issue. In you other thread you said your events said this --> Events(My calendar)

They need to show up as Events(youraccount@gmail.com)

Hmmmm? I just went to create an event. Even before I typed a title, after 'events' on the page, it shows my Gmail addy. There was nothing I did to do that. It happened all by itself. All prior entries, both in the future and gone by, still show 'events' as 'my calendar'. Clearly, something was not working right. There was nothing that I overtly did that caused either description after 'events'. There also appears to be nothing I can do to go back and change those previous entries. Seems I would have to delete them and re-enter them, especially for the earlier entered events that will occur in the future.

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Yep..I added a calendar appointment that put the "my calendar" and I had to go in and purposely change it back to what I really wanted for the next one. At some point in time you didn't have the google account in there and all the rest after had the "my calendar".

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I use mybackuppro to backup my phone and the combined calendar entries, texts, apps, etc.

The backup is on my phones SD card and coppied to my home computer and a back up of that is off-site

My company does a few ITAR projects, and because of that, since cloud backup servers may or may not be in this country and have not provided the appropriate ITAR compliance information. I simply dont use cloud backup.

For off-site storage, i have an encrypted USB hard drive backup of my home computers.

Its a bit more cumbersome, however I have gotten to the point that if I loose the phone i can have a replacement up and running in about an hour and only loose any text messages from the period since last backup

southkogs

Staff member
Kinda' like Scott, since I deal in intellectual property (design/art) I tend to back up locally and offsite on computers/drives I know. Only some things that I don't worry about are backed up in "the cloud."