Mass Air Flow Sensor preventive maintenance?

alldodge

Staff member
Robert said he is having no problems, so this is throwing parts at something that may fail later. If it does fail later, its still drivable and will not leave you on the side of the road. Replace it when it fails, otherwise pick something else while your at it because another part may fail to

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I agree with AllDodge. When a Mass Air Flow sensor starts to get dirty or go bad, it doesn't stop you on the side of the road. The engine just starts acting finicky and you will know there is a problem the way the engine idles, accelerates and does odd things like that.

I had those symptoms and even using carb cleaners on the MAF sensor didn't fix anything. It is only when I took the MAF sensor out and totally disassembled it did that I finally see the dirt accumulated on the small resistive elements. But that was only with a 10 power monocular as well.It looked okay to the naked eye. But after using some alcohol and a cut down acid brush, I could see the dirt coming off. It runs perfect now. But you really have to go easy with a brush cleaning them because they are so very small and can break if harsh cleaning.

I too have a K & N lightly oiled air filter and am thinking that really contributed to the problem. I guess I need to change back to regular filters and that oil will not coat the MAF again.

Trying to be proactive with a supposed to be great air filter (and expensive too) can lead to other problems not seen at the time. :eek:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I had those symptoms and even using carb cleaners on the MAF sensor didn't fix anything.
That's because using carb cleaner will actually foul the MAF since it leaves a deposit on it.

BTW...a MAF sensor as it ages will affect MPG as well as the drivability of the car.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Did you ever replace the Distributor, or the Distributor Cap and Rotor on your LT1? That can be a pain, and not cheap. Actually, just about anything on those engines is a pain. I have 4 LT1s. 94 Buick Roadmaster, 95 Buick Roadmaster with a 96 LT1 in it, 95 Cadillac Fleetwood, and a 95 LT1(from the 95 Roadmaster) gathering dust in the garage.