Mass Air Flow Sensor preventive maintenance?

robert graham

Admiral
My Buick 350 LT-1 with 215,000 miles....runs great, but wondering if Mass Air Flow Sensor in the air intake requires preventive maintenance cleaning with the special spray solvents for this purpose?.....

muskyfins

Chief Petty Officer
What made you think about it in the first place?

My chevy truck (2500 avalance with 8.1L) would have reduce throttle response and reduced rpm the first few seconds after start up. About once every 6 months, I'd disassemble, spray with MAF cleaner and reassemble. Problem solved.I had and aftermarket oiled air filter which i believe contributed to the problem.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I use electric sensor and contact cleaner as well as the MAFS cleaner on the MAFS.

I have also used brake cleaner. Ford MOD motors are particularly susceptible to dirty MAFS.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
When my MAF started failing in my Lexus, it wasn't throwing codes yet. Just poor acceleration and stumbling when it was cold. I bought an OEM Denso MAF for $75 so I didn't even bother cleaning the old one.

I have a spare Delphi one for my 99 Silverado for when the time comes for it.

As someone else said earlier, A K&N type filter is death to a MAF. Besides them not filtering well, they are notorious for fouling MAFs.

robert graham

Admiral
I've heard about those K&N aftermarket filters screwing up MAF's.....my air filter is stock original equipment. What made me think about it was some cans of MAF cleaner at Autozone....I don't have any problems right now but my engine is a 1996 with 215,000 miles and just thought I should consider cleaning it???.....what do you think, just leave it alone???

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Out of curiosity, what year is your Buick? You sure you even have a MAF?

How come this sounds familiar? Did we talk about his car before a few years ago?

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Bruce, there was a discussion about cleaning MAFS about 2 months ago

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
The way I knew mine was bad on my 99 Silverado, was the way it was shifting, if you floored it, it took a dump and stumbled real bad and yes, it had a K&N million mile filter on it, that my Dad had installed, I got rid of that and have had no problems since.

U can use brake cleaner on them unplugged on the bench clean all the dust off the little wires let air dry do not use shop air and bam your done I would do that every time you replace your air filter

robert graham

Admiral
Out of curiosity, what year is your Buick? You sure you even have a MAF?

How come this sounds familiar? Did we talk about his car before a few years ago?

My Buick Roadmaster is a 1996 model and it does have a Mass Air Flow Sensor between the air filter and the throttle body....just wondering if I should clean/replace it or wait for symptoms/problems....We drive this car a lot, towing the boat to Florida several times a year and a would prefer to stay well ahead of any maintenance items that could give trouble out on the interstate somewhere.....

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
at 215K, I would definitely consider changing it. Buy a Delphi one and not an aftermarket part.

alldodge

Staff member
I wouldn't change anything unless your having trouble, so far there has been no codes. Believe in if aint broke thing

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I wouldn't change anything unless your having trouble, so far there has been no codes. Believe in if aint broke thing

Mine never threw a code when it went bad, the truck just simply started lugging down, with nothing in the computer.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
My MAF in my Lexus wasn't throwing codes either. Codes only occur when the voltage range exceeds the specs.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
most times they do not throw a code