Backing up Google calender on my 4.4.2 Android Samsung phone?

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
I have Verizon Cloud to back up my Contacts and my photos but they do not back up my Google Calendar. I would hate to lose all that data, both for future events and the record for past events. Try as I might, I cannot figure out how to engage Google Cloud to back up my Google Calendar. My phone is always logged into Google via my Gmail account but I see no way to engage the Google Cloud,

Any help here? I have spent untold hours, since Christmas, on tech support for various different devices, Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Buy mybackuppro from the Google store.

The cloud backup is a joke

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Google Calendar is already in the cloud. Not sure what the issue is.

southkogs

Staff member
^^^^ yup: it's a cloud based app. Effectively your device calendar is more displaying what's actually stored in the cloud.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I use both Google and Microsoft 365. Both are cloud based. Nothing is stored on your phone except for maybe some small amount of caching.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
I use both Google and Microsoft 365. Both are cloud based. Nothing is stored on your phone except for maybe some small amount of caching.

Well how do I see my calendar entries in the cloud? I open Google calendar on a computer and there are no entries. My phone is logged onto Google via my Gmail sign in.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Go onto the google calendar on your pc and create a fake appointment. It should show up on your calendar on your phone. It should also be the same color as all the other appointments if you view it at a month at a time.

Open up one of your existing appointments on you phone and scroll to the bottom. It should say events with the name of the account the appointment is associated with. Is it the same as the google account you logged into your PC with?

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Go onto the google calendar on your pc and create a fake appointment. It should show up on your calendar on your phone. It should also be the same color as all the other appointments if you view it at a month at a time.

Open up one of your existing appointments on you phone and scroll to the bottom. It should say events with the name of the account the appointment is associated with. Is it the same as the google account you logged into your PC with?

When I open the Calendar and go to an entry. It has 'event' at the bottom of the page and it says 'my calendar' in parenthesis. The line is not active.
I don't think that the calendar on my phone is syncing with Google in the cloud and I do not see anything to make it so.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Sounds like you don't have your google account set up on your phone properly.

Go into settings>accounts>google

see what the settings are.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
When I open the Calendar and go to an entry. It has 'event' at the bottom of the page and it says 'my calendar' in parenthesis. The line is not active.
I don't think that the calendar on my phone is syncing with Google in the cloud and I do not see anything to make it so.

I wonder if maybe you have two different Google accounts... one for your PC and one for your mobile device. If you use different usernames for each machine, you have two accounts. Getting both devices on the same account will solve the problems. Any calendar appointment you make from one device would then change the online calendar, which will be reflected in the other device.

southkogs

Staff member
What I did (one option of many) : I created a Google Calendar under my Google profile. I enter all of my events on that calendar (log in through my Safari Browser if I need to enter one on my phone).

I then set my iCalendar on my Mac (which syncs with my phone and iPad) to subscribe to that Google calendar. The calendar is always the same on all 4.

The reason I did it this way is so that other people (I have about 10) that need to can see my calendar.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Sounds like you don't have your google account set up on your phone properly.

Go into settings>accounts>google

see what the settings are.

I go into settings/accounts/google and it shows my gmail addy + last synced on 1/31/17 at 8:?? am.
I only have one Google account and that is via my gmail and password. When I log onto Google Calendar, on the computer, I use that gmail info to do so.

I don't see any setting options when I look at Google in the Settings/accounts folder. Maybe I should be looking at Google somewhere else?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I just did a test...Go onto your phone and click on the calendar as if you are going to add an appointment. You need to make sure that next to events, it says the gmail address. If it says "my calendar" it's not making a cloud appointment. The next question is how to convert all the old "my calendar" appointments into google appointments.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
I am already using the Google Calendar. It's the one with the icon that shows a blue calendar page with the 31 on it. I am not using the android or samsung calendar that has an icon of a white calendar page with a black 31 on it and a green header bar at the top.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I am already using the Google Calendar. It's the one with the icon that shows a blue calendar page with the 31 on it. I am not using the android or samsung calendar that has an icon of a white calendar page with a black 31 on it and a green header bar at the top.
I understand that. Unfortunately, there were two subjects going on in that link I posted but I think the info in there may be useful to you.

If I have some time, I will see if I can reproduce your issue and see how I can export it to all be on a google account.

In the meantime, you need to make sure you setup all your future appointments on your Google account. I actually use my Google calendar for 3 different accounts...Google(very few) and two Outlook 365 accounts. I want all my appointments to also show up on Outlook which is why I do that.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
I ..... I think the info in there may be useful to you......

If I have some time, I will see if I can reproduce your issue and see how I can export it to all be on a google account.....

on the link, no info that I could make sense of. Another example of something that should not be so difficult. Thanks for looking at it.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Well...I tried. If I made an appointment with "my calendar" could not figure out a way to change it so that it syncs to the google calendar assosciated with the count in the cloud.

My suggestion...make sure when you make future appointments, they are assosciated with the google account. I did a little research and you aren't the first person who has done this.