Using copper anti-seize on spark plug threads

Chryslerman123

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks Fun Times good info to know.
I learned about the special metal plating shortly after I installed them, but I thought that NGK was the only brand that had it.
Thanks!

bigdee

Commander
I will continue to use anti seize. After having a plug seize in an aluminum head, I never want to have that happen again.

I do reduce the torque by 20% when I use it. I always use a torque wrench when putting plugs in, especially aluminum heads. Most of the warnings above are for people over or under torquing their spark plugs. Everyone uses a torque wrench when putting in plugs right?

I'm with you Bruce. Those with experience and feel will not over-torque anyway. Some plug brands don't recommend torque but rather tightening plug a percentage of a turn after seating gasket.....usually 1/6 of a turn. In that case anti-seize would not matter. You can never go wrong using anti-seize when dealing with dissimilar metals and heat.

bigdee

Commander
I must chirp in the voltages the ignition uses are very high for them to operate correctly the spark plug in the head acts as a ground in the head so use nothing and torque properly if not used to installing spark plugs

A non issue....help me bruce.

Fun Times

Staff member
Post #11 should be a sticky. :)
Thanks Tim ( and all)!

While I just added a few more from some other manufacturers for possible preparation of a sticky, I'm thinking this subject is a bit to controversially to place it somewhere because honestly we "could" (< but not going to) probably all get a bit to deep into a what about the torque spec value of using an low quality ratchet extension of 3 or 6 inches in length along with the use of Anti-Seize % torque values, etc. etc. etc. Specially since the use of any Anti-Seize is more of a personal preference which if used correctly doesn't really possess to many harmful issues all while inadvertently trying to prevent one possible bad situation.

Then the next question would be where/what sub-forum to place it as there are multiple engine sections.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Looked up my Honda Element factory service manual. What do you know! They say to use anti seize! Both NGK and Denso spark plugs are spec'd
antiseize.JPG

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
A non issue....help me bruce.
I would also say not an issue since even O2 sensors come with anti-seize. The only time you might have an issue is if that particular engine uses electronics that detect detonation using the spark characteristics. VERY few engines have this feature. When I worked for an auto electronics company we were starting to work on such a system but I left before we got to far into it.

I would be actually be more concerned about the heat transfer of the plug than the electrical characteristics. When I put anti-seize on, it should not be migrating to the shoulder of the plug anyway.

Fun Times

Staff member
The only time you might have an issue is if that particular engine uses electronics that detect detonation using the spark characteristics. VERY few engines have this feature. When I worked for an auto electronics company we were starting to work on such a system but I left before we got to far into it.
I was just reading on that system last night for the first time...Was the system called something such as Ion (ionization) sense ignition bias circuit. Kind of cool actually.:)
http://www.cycleworld.com/2015/07/23...ng-ionization/
http://www.google.com/patents/US6498490

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
Thanks Tim ( and all)!

While I just added a few more from some other manufacturers for possible preparation of a sticky, I'm thinking this subject is a bit to controversially to place it somewhere because honestly we "could" (< but not going to) probably all get a bit to deep into a what about the torque spec value of using an low quality ratchet extension of 3 or 6 inches in length along with the use of Anti-Seize % torque values, etc. etc. etc. Specially since the use of any Anti-Seize is more of a personal preference which if used correctly doesn't really possess to many harmful issues all while inadvertently trying to prevent one possible bad situation.

Then the next question would be where/what sub-forum to place it as there are multiple engine sections.

I was thinking more along the lines of just using the factory info from that specific post as the sticky....and close the sticky to responses.
If the debaters want to discuss further, they can open a thread just for that. :)

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
Depends on what you are putting on the threads. For example, 20% is what Loctite suggests when using their product. There are engineering handbooks out there that specify the torque reduction depending on what you put on the threads.

As with many of the hot-button issues that get tossed around in here, there are probably numerous approaches that work in practice as well as in theory.
It does seem that there are mild (in some cases major) conflicts in the info passed on by each manufacturer in the component supply chain.
e.g. ~ In a newer post you mentioned that for your Element, Honda specs both Denso and NGK plugs and also state that they should be installed WITH an anti-seize compound; both spark plug manufacturers are unequivocal that this material should NOT be used with their product.
That does present a bit of a dilemma to a home-maintenance type.

"Who do I believe AND who is responsible for damage if I follow their directions and something still goes amiss?"

Somehow i suspect that you'll be on your own either way.... :rolleyes::facepalm:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I was just reading on that system last night for the first time...Was the system called something such as Ion (ionization) sense ignition bias circuit. Kind of cool actually.:)
http://www.cycleworld.com/2015/07/23...ng-ionization/
http://www.google.com/patents/US6498490
Not sure what system they were using. In the beginning we were developing this cylinder pressure sensor and we would do signal processing on the frequency of the combustion to detect pre detonation.

Last edited: