Sewing machine suggestions

Jmunk

Petty Officer 1st Class
I picked up a new to me pontoon boat today and the interior needs aome areas reupholstered. Can anyone reccomend a budget sewing machine that is capable of doing marine vinyl? I checked my local craigslist for a used industrial machine without much luck.

I found one, Yamata CM500. It appears to only do blind stitches if I read everything correctly. Not sure if a blind stitch is the best style for upholstery ?

Someone also mentioned to pick up an older Singer model 66 or 99 ?

Last edited:

bajaunderground

Lieutenant
...And walking foot if you can manage it. Non-walking foots tend to bunch up a little with vinyl, not un-doable, just requires a little more management.

If you can swing "new" the Sailrite LS-1 is a decent budgetary machine (relatively speaking) and it has a walking foot LINK

Consew, Juki and commercial Singers are great machines as well. Needle-feed is not a desirable as a walking foot (I have a Juki with Needle-feed, not walking foot...it was given to me, so I don't have any complaints but wish it was a walking foot).

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
the last one I picked up was at the local Salvation Army store, make sure that you know what you are looking for, but often times you can find heavy duty upholster machines for $10-15 bucks and they last for ever if not being used in a commercial environment.

Jmunk

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks for the advice. My local craigslist has a lot of machines but hard for me to tell if the "heavy duty" ones are up to the task. Maybe I'll try the local Goodwill. There is a used Saikrite LS1 locally but they want close to new prices. There isn't any industrial machines on the local Craigslist.

Jmunk

Petty Officer 1st Class
In the event anyone in the future has this question I bought a Singer model 99K made in 1954. I have tested the machine with up to four layers of marine grade vinyl and it showed it just as good as two layers. I picked up the machine locally off craigslist for $50 and what appears to be excellent condition. If anyone is looking to do some upholstery work I would highly recommend this machine currently I'm using a number 16 needle and number 92 bonded thread.