For anyone who owns or has owned a 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
I have a passenger side front roof console map light out. Can't see how to access the bulb. The internet abounds with information on other years, other models and makes but nothing I have found relates to the 2006-2010 Explorer., I have even posted on two different Explorer forums, to no avail.

Any experience here?

Last edited:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I have a passenger side front roof console map light out. Can't see how to access the bulb. The internet abounds with information on other years, other models and makes but nothing I have found relates to the 2006-2010 Explorer., I have even posted on two different Explorer forums, to no avail.

Any experience here?

Boom, you have to take the console down, then you can access the bulbs from the rear, In my explorer, it just snaps in, then you pop it out and it will drop down.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Roof...w=1200&bih=537

Look at the link I provided, then pick the one that is like yours, most of them are the same in that year, but they did have a couple of variations that used a couple of screws as well as the clips.

dolluper

Captain
Where did you lose your screw driver Boom ...most of the the new ones you pull apart ...just pull clips cheap plastic junk...screws weight too much

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Boom, you have to take the console down, then you can access the bulbs from the rear, In my explorer, it just snaps in, then you pop it out and it will drop down.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Roof...w=1200&bih=537

Look at the link I provided, then pick the one that is like yours, most of them are the same in that year, but they did have a couple of variations that used a couple of screws as well as the clips.

Couldn't identify my console amongst the lot. I have seen a bit about some 2002-2005 Explorers but not 2006. I see no screws in my console. I see that a lot of different ones are held up by clips but I hate to just start tugging at the console. There is no where to grasp it and I do not want to bugger up the headliner.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you wont bugger the headliner. you will break a clip or two (since its cheap plastic and they break), however you wont bugger the headliner

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Run out to HF and pick up a set of trim clip tools, they are plastic and won't damage the headliner, on these newer cars with everything clipped together, they are a life saver. They have them on sale right now for $8.99 and like I said, they are a life saver on these rigs when you have to pop things off.

http://www.harborfreight.com/5-piece-auto-trim-and-molding-tool-set-67021.html

I have what I assume to be an earlier version of that collection. The kit in your link has some different shaped pieces that look very effective