Balky Laptop?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
keyboard buffer issues can pop up from a unresponsive data request.
My laptop does it when my network connection with work times out.
Hard to believe a keyboard buffer would be an issue since the buffer is around 35 characters.

As a test, I turned off my WiFi in the middle of this edit. Not a problem typing at all, at least in this web page. I hit the edit button....typed my entire response...then turned wifi back on. No problem.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Hard to believe a keyboard buffer would be an issue since the buffer is around 35 characters.

As a test, I turned off my WiFi in the middle of this edit. Not a problem typing at all, at least in this web page. I hit the edit button....typed my entire response...then turned wifi back on. No problem.
i assume you using a somewhat modern computer with adequate memory and hard drive space? Did you get a connection lost message?

I just got rid of a 2002 vintage Dell XPS that would start that $rap when the hard drive was getting full. Too much data to handle w/o writes. CPU usage spike. Dog mode would set in.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
No connection lost message. No more modern than what OP is using.

Judging from the processor he has, his computer is around 4 years old.

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I just got rid of a 2002 vintage Dell XPS that would start that $rap when the hard drive was getting full. Too much data to handle w/o writes. CPU usage spike. Dog mode would set in.
Add to the fact that most people never defragment their hard drives, I don't doubt it.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Out of curiosity, what is your internet speed? Do a test here:
http://www.speedtest.net/

Tell us what your download speed is.

latency @ 234 ms, Download @ 25.29 mbps, Upload @ 3.54 mbps

I have had other tests with other services that showed lower.

My HD is 282 gb with 222 gb available. I did just run defrrag.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
No connection lost message. No more modern than what OP is using.

Judging from the processor he has, his computer is around 4 years old.

maybe 5. time flies. Until recently this laptop has been seldom used and as you can see in my earlier post, does not have a lot on it.

82rude

Rear Admiral
I had lots of issues with my lt a little while ago .I installed driver booster free and ran it and found pretty well every driver was badly out of date.Once drivers were installed the laptop was a new machine .I also had the typing issues and the new driver fixed that.Glary utilities works good for tune up.

bassman284

Commander
latency @ 234 ms, Download @ 25.29 mbps, Upload @ 3.54 mbps

I have had other tests with other services that showed lower.

My HD is 282 gb with 222 gb available. I did just run defrrag.
Wow. Latency @ 234 ms is absolutely brutal. Download isn't bad, upload is quite good. I've never heard of latency that slow except for people usng satellite which a lot of times is even slower than that. If you're not using a satellite connection I'm not sure what to tell you except that your computer is NOT causing the slow latency.

My latency is usually 8 to 10 ms. I have seen times when it ran as high as 40 or 50 ms and I dealt with it by rebooting my wireless router. Just unplug it for a minute or so then plug it back in and wait for it to restart. I usually shut down my computers while doing that.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
That latency could also have been caused by which server was selected for the test. Could have been one very far away. It's not the cause of the typing issue.