Security for vacant house

alldodge

Staff member
We're buying a house and will later fix up and sell. Current quote from the insurance company wants as much for this place as our home. So I'm debating between getting it, reducing the amount to be insured, and maybe setup some cameras. I know if something happens and camera's catch it, it will be a very good chance I have someone prosecuted but they will not have any funds to pay it back.

I need to get liability just incase someone gets hurt trespassing. The house has been vacant for about two years and nothing has ever happened to the house.

jbcurt00

Staff member
You roll the dice w out it, IMO. As you improve/fix the house it becomes more of an interesting target for vandelism as well as theft.

What does a 5K+ theft or 10K+ vandelism do to your insurance rate? Or more then 1 claim.

Vacant IN a residential area w close neighbors, or remote lake house w few fulltime residents?

In Las Vegas, the repairs to fix damage caused getting into a house was usually about the same as (or more then once MORE then) the cost to replace the stolen appliances. In a development w fulltime residents, large multi-camera securty pole in the street, an overnight guard on site, randomly a few times a week, it was still a regular problem, 350 lots in 3 to 5 phases, w 15 houses finished every 30days.

They even pulled down drywall to take copper condensate lines....

Good luck w the rehab and flip. Where?

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
Thanks, its not far from the house but still farm type area

Last edited:

tpenfield

Staff member
AD, I think the insurance on our summer house is about double of our primary residence. With vacant or seasonal occupancy that seems to be the way it is.

You will obviously want to cover liability and fire/weather losses, but maybe trim off as much as you can.

Also, depending on how much work is being done to the house, and if done by contractors, etc. be aware of the insurance needs of a home under renovation and make sure that anyone working on the home is insured, provides certificates of insurance, etc.

bigdee

Commander
I let the insurance take the worry out of break-ins. Knock on wood my lake house is 13 years old and never been hit by thieves. My insurance company does not charge extra for it being vacant. It is in a gated community so maybe that is why.

alldodge

Staff member
Will discuss a bit more after the closing, maybe scale it back in value. Getting real insurance poor these days with all the stuff we keep getting. Could be much worst, we might not have the toys/stuff :( but we do so I should be happy :)

gm280

Supreme Mariner
AD, I certainly can understand your situation. I would have to survey the area and understand what can happen with such a house. So many criminal will empty a house is no time for the copper wire, and any fixtures to sell for money, even security cameras could be stolen. I hate to say it but criminals just don't care who's property they attack. When we were building our house and finally moved in, other contractors building other homes in our area asked us to keep a watch out for their materials being stolen. So even building material not yet installed is possible theft items. Good luck with whatever you decide and post some before and after pictures of your house. I'd like to see it.

alldodge

Staff member
Well done deal, closed and insured
Photo1113.jpg

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
nice new acquisition. so when is the house warming party?

Garage is no where big enough for toys :)

jbcurt00

Staff member
Nce spread, congrats. Be hard.to flip when you get it done.

Good luck

alldodge

Staff member
nice new acquisition. so when is the house warming party?

Garage is no where big enough for toys :)

The bar is always open and you can never have a big enough storage building. Hey there is plenty of room to build a pole barn

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Dodge, are your cameras going to be wireless that transmit to your home? If so make sure each camera has a view of the other cameras or at least one other camera. That way they can't cut the feed so you can detect them. You will see them cut the feed on one from another. JMHO

Oh, nice setup. Plenty of room is seems.

alldodge

Staff member
Thanks, if I out any in, I'm starting to lean toward trail cameras. I could put in wifi but then I need other stuff installed. Appreciate the input, have some things to think over

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you could just find a handy-man contractor that needs a roof over his head. have him watch the place and give you free labor as rent.

bigdee

Commander
Keep an eye/camera on that outdoor HVAC.....popular item for thieves in my area. They back a pickup close to the unit and snatch it loose with a rope and throw it in the truck.....less than 2 minutes! IMO I would build something to hide it from view..

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Thanks, if I out any in, I'm starting to lean toward trail cameras. I could put in wifi but then I need other stuff installed. Appreciate the input, have some things to think over

AllDOdge, Don't let us make you scared about your home going missing one day. We just are offering sound ideas from what we learned over the years. You could ask the local police department about how much theft takes place in that area and go from there. There may not be any huge theft going on and therefore any security system will work. The trail camera(s) are a great idea and not be easily seen and/or compermised. Think battery supplies. They last a long time and even if you have no electricity, you still have coverage. I think you will be okay. :thumb:

alldodge

Staff member
The handy man would be good for the protection side, but really would not want to get into that one. Have someone move in and 2 to 3 months later say thanks I'm going to sell it. the other side is just finding someone around here which actually "will" work is an issue.

Not a bit scared about the issue, just wanting ideas. Stuff happens and if it does would just like to be able to press charges instead of fixing and wonder who did it.