For you Harbor Freighters.........

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
But have you checked it against another gauge to verify they read the same?

I have nothing to substantiate this statement, but I find it hard to believe the el cheapo gauges are just as good as the more expensive ones.... I could very well be wrong.....
I remember awhile ago, you were going to buy a good one. Which one did you get?

I always wanted to buy a better one to replace my HF one and never got around to it

WIMUSKY

Staff member
I did some research on it and decided it was probably a decent unit...

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
But have you checked it against another gauge to verify they read the same?

I have nothing to substantiate this statement, but I find it hard to believe the el cheapo gauges are just as good as the more expensive ones.... I could very well be wrong.....

Of course I have, it works exactly the same as my Mac and my Snap on, I have 3 of the dumb things.

When reading a compression gauge, absolute readings is not the most important thing, you are basically checking the cylinders to see how close they are to each other, if you have a cylinder that is reading really low compared to others, that is what you are looking for.

Last edited:

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Of course I have, it works exactly the same as my Mac and my Snap on, I have 3 of the dumb things.

When reading a compression gauge, absolute readings is not the most important thing, you are basically checking the cylinders to see how close they are to each other, if you have a cylinder that is reading really low compared to others, that is what you are looking for.

True that testing is looking for a cylinder or two that is out of line with the others. But if the compression is too low on all of them, it may be time for a rebuild....... 3 testers?

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
True that testing is looking for a cylinder or two that is out of line with the others. But if the compression is too low on all of them, it may be time for a rebuild....... 3 testers?

Yup, three testers, I purchased the Snap on and the HF and the Mac was in my Dad's tool box when he passed away, hell you would be amazed at how many vacuum testers I have ended up with, it is time to have a Garage Sale!

When Dad passed away, he had 8 different tool boxes and a roll around with a top box!

:faint2:

bigdee

Commander
A gauge is a gauge is a gauge, the HF gauge works just as well as any of the rest of them, I have one and never had a problem with it.

Pretty much true for +/- 5 % tolerance. For checking compression that is more than adequate.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Regardless what type compression gauge I use, I know up front it is merely to check all the cylinders as equal and I know the actual readings are suspect at best. So I use my gauge for merely seeing if everything looks equal. Unless you have a stuck needle, most any compression gauge will let you know if you have a real problem or not. If it is on the edge, then you check with another unknown gauge to see if they are close. But never take any reading as fact.

And that holds true for most every type gauge, voltage, pressure, vacuum, amperage, resistance and so on. Unless you have absolutely daily checked and calibrated verification, all gauges are merely close readings. But for everyday usage, that is really all we really need. Again J M H O!

JustJason

Vice Admiral
That's the same one WIMUSKY bought.

​It's actually slightly different. The one WIMUSKY has is the basic kit. The one in my link is a deluxe version, with a few more adaptors plus a bunch of replacement orings and Schrader valves. The deluxe kit is worth the extra few bucks IMHO.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
​It's actually slightly different. The one WIMUSKY has is the basic kit. The one in my link is a deluxe version, with a few more adaptors plus a bunch of replacement orings and Schrader valves. The deluxe kit is worth the extra few bucks IMHO.
you are correct. I saw the same part number at first.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Yupperz I do have valves, o-rings and 3 adapters.... So far it's fit all my "stuff", even the 10mm(I believe) that fits my small snowmobile plug...

http://www.tooltopia.com/otc-tools-5...FYO4wAodfT8JJQ

I see the 5605 does have a couple different connectors?
I see it has a Ford Triton engine adapter(16mm), if you drive a ford
And an 18mm adapter......

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I never do the tool loaner thing at the auto parts store anymore. After screwing around with a puller that was bent one time, it soured me on how much those tools get abused and I wasted more time than if I plan ahead and buy the tools I need and have them for the future.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I never do the tool loaner thing at the auto parts store anymore. After screwing around with a puller that was bent one time, it soured me on how much those tools get abused and I wasted more time than if I plan ahead and buy the tools I need and have them for the future.

Neither do I anymore, I just bought the tools I need, it is to damn far to be running back and forth to town when I am in the middle of doing something, It is 40+ miles round trip to get to my closest parts store!

:rolleyes:

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Neither do I anymore, I just bought the tools I need, it is to damn far to be running back and forth to town when I am in the middle of doing something, It is 40+ miles round trip to get to my closest parts store!

:rolleyes:

Ha! Got you beat. 50 miles for me...... :)

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I am 5 minutes from either an Autozone or an O'Reillys and I still won't do it.