For you Harbor Freighters.........

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I actually buy certain items from HF. But only things that don't need to be supper tools or daily use tools. No ratchets and tools like that, for me anyway. But I am going to buy one of their Sand Blaster floor model cabinets and that is because you can't hardly screw up a simple metal cabinet. But there are lots of mods others have done to that cabinet to make it really nice. I have also bought their parts washers. Again, you can't hardly screw up a metal bin that merely hold part cleaner solution. JMHO

wrvond

Chief Petty Officer
I bought a 4" Chicago Electric angle grinder at HF in 2005 for $9.00 on sale for a particular project. It came with a side handle, spare brushes, and a key/wrench. I've used it for cutting all the cast iron, galvanized steel, and copper plumbing out of my house. I've used it for cutting frozen bolts off of vehicles. I've used it for cutting concrete and rebar. The thing just keeps going and going. I've even used it to cut stucco with the steel mesh - I figured the dust alone would kill it, but it's still going strong. Definitely have gotten my money's worth out of that item.
I got some really big solid rubber wheel chocks on sale for six bucks that are far and away better than those plastic yellow things you find for three times as much everywhere else.
As others have said, good deals can be had at yard sales and HF. Unfortunately I see the prices everywhere going up and the quality going down across the board. The saying used to be "you get what you pay for", these days it's more like "you pay for what you get".

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Best HF purchase I ever made is this toolbox. I may add another side piece to the left side once the one on the right is full.
http://www.harborfreight.com/44-in-1...net-68784.html
20170109_084036%20%28Small%29.jpg

If you go by the ratings, likely the highest rated item at HF.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
This is a 3 car garage with no cars in it. There is a Harley right behind the cabinet and 4 bicycles which are actually worth more than the cars I own.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Great tool bargain. I have used my a ton putting down laminate floors. Yes the head gets hot but the motor does not. I took mine apart to check if it had grease and it had plenty. 8 years and many blades later it is still going. BTW the blades can be brought back to life with a dremel tool....nothing precise,just a series of v notches.

yea bigdee, I as well re-cut the worn out blades for those multi-tools. It is easy and they work like new again. I also buy lots of them via EBay. I can buy many of them for the price of one locally. And if they wear smooth, I re-cut them again. Works for me. Amazing how well they can cut even 2 x 4's if need be.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
........ But I am going to buy one of their Sand Blaster floor model cabinets and that is because you can't hardly screw up a simple metal cabinet. .......

Oh how I wish I had one of those! Oh how I wish I had room for one! Oh how I wish I had a big enough compressor and the room for it, to run that blaster cabinet. But you are right, they need an effective exhaust system added to it. With the right medias, you make perfect parts for restoration and re-coating.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Never thought of that. They use a standard attach config?

bruceb58, I have a first iteration of the Dremel Multi-Tool and so far every blade I've purchased from EBay fits and works without any problem. I am certain they are China made blades to sell for so little. But they seem to work and wear the same as locally bought type. :noidea:

WIMUSKY

Staff member
I wasn't so much referring to the future of sears as I was in the hope of U.S. manufacturing.

Was wondering the same thing since Sears sold Craftsman to S B&D.......... Heck, I didn't know Stanley and B&D merged...... But, I digress.......

bigdee

Commander
Was wondering the same thing since Sears sold Craftsman to S B&D.......... Heck, I didn't know Stanley and B&D merged...... But, I digress.......

Yeah just because they sold to Stanley/BD does't mean they will be manufactured in USA. There is a Stanley tool factory near me that is hanging on by a thread since they have out sourced so much of their product line to China and Mexico. Look at Dewalt/BD power tools and I challenge anyone to find one made here.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
bruceb58, I have a first iteration of the Dremel Multi-Tool and so far every blade I've purchased from EBay fits and works without any problem. I am certain they are China made blades to sell for so little. But they seem to work and wear the same as locally bought type. :noidea:

You can pick up an adapter at HD that will fit any multi tool and allow you to use any multi tool manufactures blade, which I did for my HF multi tool, now I can mix and match brands and pick the least expensive blade up when I need them.

DECK SWABBER 58

Lieutenant Commander
Bought a bench top drill press, not something used that often, but so far I'm happy with it.

Pusher

Lieutenant
I think I have their drill press too. I got it off craigslist for $25. I do notice that it seems to oscillate a little at high speed but it works for my needs.

Pusher

Lieutenant
Has anyone used the HF compression tester? Or is there a better mouse trap I should be steered towards?

I have a replacement motor for my boat since the electrical went caput on my 1986 Mercury. It was cheaper to buy a running 50hp than it was to buy all new parts. Anyways, I'd like to compression test the merc and if it tests high, maybe winterize it and throw it on a stand in case I get MBS and find a tinny.

If it's low, I might just sell it as a parts motor. Might do that anyway... Not sure until I test the 50hp Evinrude.

Thanks in advance guys!

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
A gauge is a gauge is a gauge, the HF gauge works just as well as any of the rest of them, I have one and never had a problem with it.

Pusher

Lieutenant
A gauge is a gauge is a gauge, the HF gauge works just as well as any of the rest of them, I have one and never had a problem with it.

That's what I was looking for MT! Thanks for the feedback.

If I can kick this cold, I might got out of the house and buy one.

BTW, HF has their 12'x20' (think that was the dimensions) heavy duty tarps on sale for $21.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
One car forum member was complaining that his HF compression gauge read 25PSI less that 2 others he tried. Again, depends on if you really want it for an accurate PSI reading or to see if the cylinders are all within the same range.

If you look at the reviews on HF, you will see the same complaints.

I have a HF one but really don't care about the absolute reading I get.

Last edited:

WIMUSKY

Staff member

But have you checked it against another gauge to verify they read the same?

I have nothing to substantiate this statement, but I find it hard to believe the el cheapo gauges are just as good as the more expensive ones.... I could very well be wrong.....