Fixing the Dishwasher

JoLin

Vice Admiral
It's a GE going on 10 years old. For the past year the cleaning's gotten progressively worse- cloudy glasses and dishes not always getting clean. After pricing a new one (ouch!) I hit the web and did some research. After tossing out all the water too hard/too soft, too much/too little detergent, dishes not stacked correctly reasons for poor cleaning, I zeroed in on the mechanical causes. Dirty filter, plugged lower washer arm and the electro-mechanical inlet valve seem to be the most common troublemakers.

Well, the GE fllter is non-serviceable, but had some junk in it. Pulled the lower washer arm, held it to the sink faucet and found a couple of the holes were only dribbling water. Tried to clear it but didn't have much luck. I also read that the inlet valve can suffer a partial failure if it gets clogged. With a little looking around I found instructions for replacing the valve (easy job), so I ordered all 3 parts for $100. and replaced them a couple days ago. It worked. The dishes are coming out clean again. I could have left the inlet valve alone until I knew if it was a problem, but it was cheap and only took 20 minutes to swap out.

Just wanted to share. A decent dishwasher goes for $600-$1000 bucks. I'd rather spend that money on the boat.

My .02

Tnstratofam

Commander
It's always a good feeling when I fix something that seems unrepairable to the average person. We've got a washing machine and dryer that are easily 15 years old. The dryer has had a new rear drum bearing and element, while the washer has had its pump replaced. Cleaning them is an every 3 month routine for me to keep them in tip top shape.

Appliances may be designed by the manufacturers to have a 10 year life span, but that doesn't mean they can't be repaired in most cases.

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Good to know if mine ever starts doing it.

Honestly, appliance repair is the kind of thing I try to avoid. Don't know anything about them and don't want to get involved in a situation where I can't get it back to where it was before I started. The web is an amazing resource for this stuff- there was even a youtube video on the GE water inlet valve, where it's located and how to swap it out.

alldodge

Staff member
I've been fixing things since I started by taking my new toys apart on Christmas day. Just like working on things.

Many years ago our washer started leaving spots on the dishes and tried different detergents and some did better then others, but none were great. Then found out the EPA had phosphates removed from cleaners (clothes and dish). Went to the hardware store and picked up some TSP and started adding a bit to each load, all is good again

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Doesn't everybody disassembly and dig into things to fix them? I thought that was the usual way of the world. I have to admit, in my very young days, I tore up more things then I fixed. But slowly that all changed as I gained more knowledge and experience. Rarely now am I not able to fix things. But that too comes with a price. Once the neighbors and friends figure out you can repair most anything, guess what? My mindset is this, it is already not working correctly or at all, so what can you possible do but fix it. If you break it further, it wasn't working right in the first place and basically nothing lost. And that is how I approach everything. Works very well for me. JMHO

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Thanks for the info.

I went through a 4 month period where every appliance needed a repair, Washer, Dryer, Dishwasher, fridge, microwave, stove top, and oven. Even the Insta-Hot in the sink went bad. Kitchen appliances were all GE and new about 6-7 years earlier in a remodel. The only ones I didn't fix were the microwave and Insta-Hot. I don?t like fixing appliances, but in a prior life did quite a bite of equipment repair and have the stuff to do it. It is nice to turn a $1,000.00 replacement into a $30.00 or less repair though.

82rude

Rear Admiral
Fridge,stove,washer,and dryer all bought 20 years ago.Still working as new so far. All are Crosley.Dryer and stove are gas.

KJM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
i didn't know dishwashers had a filter in them....what exactly does it filter? wouldn't the dirty water clog it up every time its used?

DECK SWABBER 58

Lieutenant Commander
No Title

Doesn't everybody disassembly and dig into things to fix them? I thought that was the usual way of the world. I have to admit, in my very young days, I tore up more things then I fixed. But slowly that all changed as I gained more knowledge and experience. Rarely now am I not able to fix things. But that too comes with a price. Once the neighbors and friends figure out you can repair most anything, guess what? My mindset is this, it is already not working correctly or at all, so what can you possible do but fix it. If you break it further, it wasn't working right in the first place and basically nothing lost. And that is how I approach everything. Works very well for me. JMHO
I do, I love fixing old stuff that is far better then anything new.

I'm on my second vintage Maytag washer, very easy to repair and they go forever.
The only reason I'm on my second is that the first one at the age of forty needed a second pump replacement. When I went to the used appliance/parts store to buy the new pump and belt one of the guys said hey come look at this washer we just got in. 25 year old Maytag that looks like brand new for $140.00 v/s new pump and belt $90.00.

Attachments

• photo256601.jpg
    photo256601.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 0

boatman37

Lieutenant
we remodeled our kitchen in 2007 and bought all stainless Maytag appliances. the stove quit almost immediately so they replaced it with a new one and it has still never worked right. in 2008 we bought new Maytag washer (front loader) and dryer. the washer bearing went about 1 year later and was fixed under warranty. the fridge quit right after the warranty expired. i contacted Maytag to complain about all the issues we had and asked them to send me the $70 part. they refused and said too bad. i bought the part and replaced it myself. the washer broke a 2nd time right after the warranty expired and the dryer also broke. i will never buy Maytag again but alas, i have gotten a little better at appliance repair (still don't like it...lol). but yes, my dishwasher seems to be a little cloudy lately too. may have to look into this.

DECK SWABBER 58

Lieutenant Commander
we remodeled our kitchen in 2007 and bought all stainless Maytag appliances. the stove quit almost immediately so they replaced it with a new one and it has still never worked right. in 2008 we bought new Maytag washer (front loader) and dryer. the washer bearing went about 1 year later and was fixed under warranty. the fridge quit right after the warranty expired. i contacted Maytag to complain about all the issues we had and asked them to send me the $70 part. they refused and said too bad. i bought the part and replaced it myself. the washer broke a 2nd time right after the warranty expired and the dryer also broke. i will never buy Maytag again but alas, i have gotten a little better at appliance repair (still don't like it...lol). but yes, my dishwasher seems to be a little cloudy lately too. may have to look into this.
The new one's are junk. My antique Maytag washers were made in Newton Iowa by the original Maytag company. That company no longer exists, just the name. Frankly, I don't really think it matters what brand you buy these days. The days of single reputable brand companies are long gone. :grumpy:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I used to own a couple laundromats so I am used to tearing apart washing machines. The best were the old Maytags. I never had to work on them. For quite a few years before Whirlpool bought Maytag, their quality started going down hill. The Maytag front loaders that were made before the buy out are actually Samsungs.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
All my kitchen appliances were GE Profile, 6-7 years old, and failed within a couple of months of each other.

Fridge had the circuit board fail, many had the same issue, although it was well out of warranty they sell the updated board at a signifacant discount to homeowners doing a repair if you ask.

Dishwasher, touch pad on door, no discount.

Stove top, burner control.

Oven, top oven light, still won't work, fails in about two weeks.

Microwave, fried the guts, bought a new one (different brand).

Insta-Hot, plastic parts broke, replaced the whole unit.

Dryer, High limit and door switch.

Washing Machine, coupler.

At about the same time a pipe broke in the wall and flooded several rooms, house was gutted for about 3 months for repairs.

Volphin

Lieutenant
I have a Maytag Neptune W/D I bought in ATL used for 200 bucks. Neat little set with touch screens. The washer just needed a belt, the dryer a display board PCB. Got both for 50 bucks online. Been running flawlessly for a decade.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
My dishwasher is still working after 37 years...... She likes a little help now and then though.....OK_OK I'm just kidding......:D

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Just replaced our dishwasher ... I think when my well went bad a few years ago it did a number on it ... Also all the painted on lettering rubbed off so I couldn't operate the thing if I wanted to ..Got the new one at black Friday sale at H/D ..

dolluper

Captain
That's funny my dish waser quit years ago and she hardly cooks or cleans anymore ..suck it up that's life they all quit even the ones you don't plug in