Grease Guidance.-

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Need to lube a 5 ton crane cable located on a pier with a proper lube that will hold moisture, work at around 20C? temp, something that will stick firmly onto cable threads, won't dry or fall over boats shortly after applied when crane is working. Which grease compound, lithium, teflon whichever should I look for to count with ?

Happy Boating

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Wire rope lubricants are specialized by use with a wide range. Elevators, trams, ski lifts and cranes all use a lube on their cables but I don't think it's grease types like you mentioned. A google search for wire rope lubricants should yield some guidance.

82rude

Rear Admiral
I worked as a crane op for years in heavy industry and unless the cables were pre lubed from the supplier there was no lube applied .500 ton crane .

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Thanks folks..

The cable is one you can buy by feet lenght for overhead cranes, is plain, doesn't have any plastic sleeve on top. If the cable isn't oiled, greased whatever will oxide very fast as it works right by the sea that's why the inquiry. Hope Google is your best friend. LOL!!

Happy Boating

Last edited:

Baylinerchuck

Commander
CRC makes a chain and wire rope lubricant that is in aerosol form. Never used it on a crane, but used it plenty on exterior overhead door cables and wire rope hoists. I've also used it on roller chain for overhead truss gates with good results. It clings very well and feels like a waxy consistency when dry.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Interesting info, learned that wire cable besides exterior lubrication needs internal one from time to time to last longer, was one to know. Will check if any of those mentioned lubrication products can be found locally. Muchas Gracias !!

Happy Boating

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
The larger brand names have tech support divisions who can answer this for you.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
SR are you actually replacing and/or servicing such cables? I mean it would seem that whoever your are working for would certainly know those things. Sounds like you seriously need to contact people in that industry for the proper answer. I don't think such a serious question is up to iboaters to debate and answer with certainty. People's life could be in question with this issue. JMHO

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
http://www.iqboatlifts.com/boat-lift-maintenance/

Lift Cables – Make sure to inspect your lift cables regularly for any signs of wear and to see if they are winding properly. Rust spots, broken strands, fraying, kinks and abnormalities are all signs that you may need to replace your cables. If you notice any signs of wear, contact a professional marine contractor ASAP and have an expert inspect them to see if you need a cable replacement.
Every time you use the lift, it is important to make sure you wash the cables with fresh water after you have finished using the lift. Saltwater will corrode the cables and dramatically reduce their lifespan if they are not rinsed off properly.

You may choose to lubricate your lift cables with a penetrating oil like Lubriplate’s Chain and Cable Fluid Penetrating Oil (Part No. L0135-063). Individual strands inside the cable move and rub against one another during normal operation which causes abrasive wear on the inside and outside of the cable. Penetrating chain and cable lubricants provide corrosion protection and lubrication to the core inside strands, the exterior surfaces and also wash off the external surfaces to remove contaminants and dirt. Proper lubrication can greatly increase cable life.

Manufacturers of stainless steel cables recommend cable replacement after two years of normal use, even without signs of wear. Failure to properly maintain your lift cables may cause a catastrophic failure resulting in damage to your lift and dock, damage to your boat and / or severe injury. Please do not take chances over-extending the life of your cables.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I build yacht lifting equipment (cranes and davits for tenders, submarines, etc)

for marine cranes, stainless wire rope is recommended over normal off-highway rigging. we use stainless elevator cable as it works best with our linear winches.

we do not lubricate the wire ropes as most yacht owners dont want to chance the teak getting oil on it.

However, depending on the type of winch you have, I would almost go with dynema synthetic rope. either Sampson Am-Steel Blue or Hampidjan Dynex Dux. about 4 times stronger than steel rope and about 1/4 the weight.

however on a drum winch, you need a special rig (custom strap) to keep a minimum of 4 wraps on the drum. that is also made of dynema webbing

http://www.samsonrope.com/Pages/Product.aspx?ProductID=872

http://irbpty.com/products?page=sho...flypage-ask.tpl&product_id=100&category_id=35

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Nice new tech info, the only drawback is that we don't count with those mentioned superb products, will need to be imported. Just servicing one year old wire rope, there's an idiotic guy at our boating marina that thinks that the cable can be exterior greased with generic bearing grease, only possible for short term periods as it dries really bad and falls in small portions all over the boats being put to the ocean and viceverse.. Thanks again folks.

Happy Boating