I DON'T have a WIN10 Issue!

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Howdy people,

Happy Holidays!

I have a NON Windows issue.......actually isn't not really an issue at all!

My older HP Pavilion dm4 laptop runs pretty well and I'm not using windows.....I was using OpenSUSE 13.2 (LINUX) running from a 500gb 7200rpm (laptop) drive. I also installed 8gb of ram and IMHO, it ran ok albeit booting what I thought was sort of slow. (about 1min 20 sec)

My wife;s MAC Book Pro boots in about 30 sec and I thought that was pretty good, my Dell XFR D630 (dual-core Intel 6gb ram) running Winblows10 boots in about 30 sec too.

Both have solid state internal drives. (The MAC came with it, I installed one in my Dell)

SO I thought it might be time to do the same with my HP dm4 laptop

I installed a Samsung 850 Pro (256gb) solid state drive https://www.cnet.com/products/samsung-ssd-850-pro/

and then upgraded to the latest OpenSuse distro. ("Leap 42.2") https://www.opensuse.org/

The difference with the new SSD was amazing! It now boots in 22 sec from a cold start to a full desktop!

I bought this drive several months ago so I paid a LOT more than the above price indicates but the difference in booting is phenomenal and launching any application takes FAR less time than it ever did using the old spinning disc drive! I'll also assume that it will probably use less power making the battery last much longer too!

SO if you want ta faster laptop and you don't want to buy a new one, you might be able to speed up the old one by replacing the internal hard-drive with an SSD.

Cheers,

Rick

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
SSD are a great way to go, I have a couple of laptops with them in them and have a brand new 500 gig sitting here that I have not even opened yet, they improve everything no matter what OS you are using, they are just faster and the prices have come way down on them the last couple of months.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
SSD are a great way to go, I have a couple of laptops with them in them and have a brand new 500 gig sitting here that I have not even opened yet, they improve everything no matter what OS you are using, they are just faster and the prices have come way down on them the last couple of months.
Yeah, I don't think I have had that thing more than about 6mo or so but I think I paid DOUBLE the MSRP in that link above!!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I use an SSD drive for the boot drive of my desktop. Would never use a normal drive for booting again.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
I use an SSD drive for the boot drive of my desktop. Would never use a normal drive for booting again.

I am going to build another desktop using a Core i7 or equivalent AMD with lots'a ram and an SSD

Spinning discs are a thing of the past!

boatman37

Lieutenant
Holy terabyte Batman! whodaheII needs 4 TB?

well i have 6TB in my Dell server and i am running out. this is my home network. but i have all PC's being backed up to it and about 250 movies stored on it. i also have a virtualbox VM farm on it but only have 2 or 3 VM's running at a time on it but they are mainly for monitoring and testing so i only have them set up with 40GB of disk space each.

i also have a Dell Poweredge 2950 that currently has a 1TB magnetic drive. i am running VMWare ESXi 5.5 on it and have thought about buying an SSD for it and using the magnetic drive for my storage

southkogs

Staff member
Holy terabyte Batman! whodaheII needs 4 TB?
I'm carry 6TB on a Mac server for my creative team. That's work, not home. Humorously - I keep a 1TB drive with me, and while I'm not too close to filling it up ... I'm a LOT closer than I expected to be anytime soon.

I've been impressed with W10, honestly. I'm running a MacBook Pro SSD with macOS on one side and W10 on the other. I only run one program on W10 outside the preloaded stuff, so that keeps it pretty easy ... but boot time on either is pretty impressive.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I have a Synology box I use for backup and storing movies and I currently have 2 2TB drives in it. Not sure I am ready to fork out the money for SSDs for it quite yet.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
I'm carry 6TB on a Mac server for my creative team. That's work, not home. Humorously

I've been impressed with W10, honestly. .........

Yup. I meant "home" use of course!

:thumb:I actually haven't had any real problems with WIN10.

I have not tried a "Surface" yet but if what I read is true, they have a winner there also. I use the desktop version of 10 on my "ruggedized" Dell laptop so the touchscreen stuff is not used at all. But so far, I have only used it to run Turbotax, Baumann Engineering (transmission control) http://www.becontrols.com/ and VagCom VCDS http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/ (although I have gotten BE controls TCS to run under WINE)

ALL my internet, email, Banking, Youtube "stuff" is done right here on my OpenSUSE "Leap" ("Linux") laptop using the K Desktop Environment. My wife seems to like her Macbook Pro and with the SSD it's as fast (no faster) than this 4-core I'm using.