Purging a new LP Tank......

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Hey fellas.......

Say, I just purchased a Worthington pro grade 11# propane tank. It didn't come pre-purged like the 20#ers seem to be. It sez I must have it purged b/4 filling it for the 1st time. I brought it to my local bait shop and they had no clue how to purge it. I googled how to do it and it sounds a little involved.

On the side of the main valve is an orifice that can be screwed out, not all the way, see pic. If I were to back that screw out would the air in the tank purge itself out that hole when filling? Or, what needs to be done? It is my understanding if you don't purge it the appliance being connected, Big Buddy Heater, may not perform properly..

Thanks!
Musky

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Go to your local ACE. Most can purge. It is a bit involved

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Crack that screw and let the propane going into the tank to push the air out, it is not difficult to purge a tank of air, which you want to do as it adds to the life span of the tank, but you need to a find a tech that knows what he is doing.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
30 + years ago I filled tanks all the time, up to 100#s and RVs. Rvs you just opened up the bleeder and filled the tank until she really kick out gas. It turned white and sometimes a few drops of liquid. Then you shut her down. Not sure any of those older tanks had to be purged. But, that was a long time ago.....

82rude

Rear Admiral
Theres lots of new regs compared to 30 ago.Any competent lp shop should be able to do it with the operative word being competent.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Yeah, the local bait shop doesn't qualify.......

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I use to refill those typical blow torch bottle because I used so many of them at that time. So I made a transfer adapter and turned the 20# tanks upside down and connected the little bottles to that adapter. But I also had to take a needle nose pliers to pull up in the schrader valve for the propane to go into the bottle. And when propane started to come out of the schrader valve, I stopped. I filled a lot of such bottles without any issues. So I am assuming that side brass valve looking part does basically the same thing. There is only one other way I could see it working, and that is if you pulled a vacuum on the tank and then filled it. Like you do with air conditioner system refills. JMHO

WIMUSKY

Staff member
I'm going to bring the tank to one of the local gas co.s(local being relative, about 25 miles away), Como, and let them do it....

WIMUSKY

Staff member
It's done. They hooked a 20# to mine. Transferred gas to my tank 5 times. Released the gas out of my tank between fills. Didn't charge me a thing. Now I can put it out at my ground blind either during rain/wind, or, snow/wind tomorrow so I'm ready Sat....

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
It's done. They hooked a 20# to mine. Transferred gas to my tank 5 times. Released the gas out of my tank between fills. Didn't charge me a thing. Now I can put it out at my ground blind either during rain/wind, or, snow/wind tomorrow so I'm ready Sat....

All that work for a heater in the ground blind? My goodness man up and shiver like the rest of us!

:D

WIMUSKY

Staff member
That's what I told the guy... Now I'm going to crank it up and stay toasty!

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Well, it quit raining, still blowing and just started snowing. Now I'll head out with the heater and LP tank to my ground blind and set up. Hope the blind hasn't blown away. 30+ mph winds all day..... N Mn has 14" of snow, so far.....

gm280

Supreme Mariner
WIMUSKY, I take it you are hunting big game, like deer or elk? I certainly can't say for up that way because I've never hunting up north for big game. But down here in Georgia, if it is windy, I've never ever seen any game out and about. I seen game in light rain, but never wind or heavy rain. And believe me I hunted in every type weather one could imagine. Yea I was stupid sitting in a deer stand with rain pouring down hoping something would come by just to keep it exciting. The hours I've spent doing that never paid off. But I was most successful year in and year out when the weather was more pleasant. I always got a few deer every year, even wild boar as well.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Yep, deer. Although, not too far from here there are elk. I don't know if they have special hunts for them or not to keep the herd at a certain manageable number.

Inclement weather usually isn't the best hunting weather. I did shoot an 8pt one year when it was raining, then snowing, then raining etc and I could hear trees falling from the wind. The deer was headed from a swamp to high ground. This fall mid day I saw deer traveling in very high winds.

Tomorrow they're still talking 30mph gusts. But, it's opening morning. So, I'll go sit in the "heated hut" and hope to see something. Providing I'm not plowing. The biggest problem I'll have is, I'll be watching a medium size opening and won't be in the the thick woods. Deer don't like to cross open areas in the wind......

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Well, I wish you great luck. I do remember tons of opening days in my past hunting times. You just had to be there on opening day. Our opening day was a month ago. Longer if you bow or primitive weapon hunted.