Smoke Detectors, which one?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I am sure everybody has heard about changing your smoke detector batteries when you changed your clocks in the areas dealing with Daylight Saving Time. Well I see now that new versions are hitting the market with the Lithium Ion 10 year batteries. And since I have a hosh posh of different types in the house, I thought about buying all new ones.

However, there are loads of different types to chose from. I have narrowed it down to Kidde i9010. Seems those are good smoke detectors without extreme cost and are listed as one of the best top ten types. Now comes the interesting question. Why is their cost so varied? I have found them from ~$10 dollars each to ~$70 dollars each for the exact same model number. What gives? How can one place sell them for 10 dollars and others sell them for near 70 dollars, and everything in between?

Even on Evil Bay there are listings for ~20 dollars and then ~35 dollars for the exact same thing. Usually the prices run pretty close to each other. When I see such varied prices literally all over the place, I start to wonder if you are buying true Kidde and not some China knock-offs in Kidde packaging. While the same part number is listed, the packaging looks totally different from one to the others. IDK.

Any suggestion and ideas?

82rude

Rear Admiral
Kiddie,garrison all good ones.Ive see the same on amazon for certain products 35 dollars one seller 125 dollars another,go figure.

82rude

Rear Admiral
Me ,I have separates ,mixture of kiddie and garrison.I know exactly when I bought mine and I replaced them actually a bit early.Good to know about that model though bruceb58,thanks .I have more than required ,now if id only learn not to burn food.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
I am sure everybody has heard about changing your smoke detector batteries when you changed your clocks in the areas dealing with Daylight Saving Time. Well I see now that new versions are hitting the market with the Lithium Ion 10 year batteries. And since I have a hosh posh of different types in the house, I thought about buying all new ones.

However, there are loads of different types to chose from. I have narrowed it down to Kidde i9010. Seems those are good smoke detectors without extreme cost and are listed as one of the best top ten types. Now comes the interesting question. Why is their cost so varied? I have found them from ~$10 dollars each to ~$70 dollars each for the exact same model number. What gives? How can one place sell them for 10 dollars and others sell them for near 70 dollars, and everything in between?

Even on Evil Bay there are listings for ~20 dollars and then ~35 dollars for the exact same thing. Usually the prices run pretty close to each other. When I see such varied prices literally all over the place, I start to wonder if you are buying true Kidde and not some China knock-offs in Kidde packaging. While the same part number is listed, the packaging looks totally different from one to the others. IDK.

Any suggestion and ideas?

i really dont think it matters all that much as long as it has the stfu im cooking buttion

wrvond

Chief Petty Officer
Me ,I have separates ,mixture of kiddie and garrison.I know exactly when I bought mine and I replaced them actually a bit early.Good to know about that model though bruceb58,thanks .I have more than required ,now if id only learn not to burn food.

In our house, it's how we know dinner is ready! 😀

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Some funny replies indeed. :laugh:

I would love to have wired in units with battery back up. But I am not going to rewire the house to accommodate them now. So battery types will be used. I have five smoke and/or CO detectors now in place. But since they are all of different brands and types, I was merely wanting to go with everything the same. I guess I will do a little more research. Thanks all for the replies.

sangerwaker

Commander
There are 2 types of sensing in smoke detectors...ionization and photoelectric. Photoelectric is a little more expensive, but a more accurate type of sensing. It is less likely to nuisance trip from steam and/or cooking smoke. I would recommend using a photoelectric type of smoke detector in areas near bathrooms and cooking areas. CO detectors all sense the same.