Got an IR Camera . . .

tpenfield

Staff member
My Birthday is a couple days away, but we celebrated this weekend ( keep those card and well wishes coming :D ) I usually don't really ask for anything in particular, but this year I mentioned the FLIR ONE IR camera for IOS. . . and so it was. :thumb:

I figured that I could put it to good use around the house, for the cars, and even the boats.

I have been taking some 'pictures' to get the hang of using it. here are a few . . .

Car . . . about 1 hour after it was driven.
IMG_9123.jpg

Yard vac (after it had been run)
IMG_9122.jpg

Sailboat stern (boat is upside down on stands)
IMG_9118.jpg

Sailboat aft berth chamber (has/had moisture in it) the blue/purple area is where I sucked a fair amount of moisture out of the chambers, when I first got the boat.
IMG_9115.jpg

Sailboat aft berth chamber . . .
IMG_9114.jpg

Sailboat bows section . . . interesting that it has a cold spot (blue/purple area) . . . the bow is full of foam.
IMG_9102.jpg

I plan on taking some pictures of my Formula 330 over the next few weeks to see how the structure is doing, given the repairs that I made a couple of years ago. I'll probably read up a bit on how to best take and interpret this images. Since the boat has been in my garage for about 1 year, the temperature throughout is pretty consistent so not much of the structure is showing through for the IR camera to 'see'.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Nice present. FLIRs were very expensive last time I looked. I wanted one merely to play around with. But not after I seen the price. Congratulations on your upcoming birthday and a very nice present. :thumb:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Ted got a new toy. :D

Does the color spectrum have any temperature range, like purple is X to Y degrees? You have to read the instructions! LOL

tpenfield

Staff member
Thanks, guys . . . yea, still need to read the instructions. There is a way to measure the actual temperature at a certain point of the image. It is pretty sensitive. . . if I put my hand on the boat hull for about 1 second the hand print image lasted a couple of minutes.

tpenfield

Staff member
OK,I figured out how to display the temperature . . . there is a 'bulls eye' that you can activate. then the temperature within the cross hairs is shown

Here is the kitchen. . . oven is on. The counter top is at 70.7 F degrees.
IMG_9124.jpg

I put my hand of the cabinet for about 1 second. . . then took this picture
IMG_9125.jpg

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Cool.

It works as a IR thermometer, except you can see just where it's pointed.

So what is the temp of the port engine? :smile:

southkogs

Staff member
Ohhhhhh ... that's cool ... well, actually kinda' warm ... :D

Neat. I hadn't thought of one of those ...

Fun Times

Staff member
That's pretty darn cool....or should I say hot?:confused::D
Congrats Ted on the new toy and upcoming birthday.:tea:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
WOW, the things one can do with one of those. That is a very good tool for all types of things. And especially fun to play around with too. :thumb:

Why did those X-ray glass come to mind that they use to advertise on the back of magazine? :facepalm: :noidea:

Baylinerchuck

Commander
That is cool. So much more portable than the Fluke units. IR imaging is indispensable for predictive maintenance. Now.....to get my company to buy one.....hmmmm.

tpenfield

Staff member
I found an article on using IR cameras for marine surveying, which applies to the many uses for boat maintenance and repair. There are some interesting examples in the article about finding delamination, overloaded electrical wiring, moisture retention, mechanical part wear, etc.

Not sure it would have found the shell that was stuck in the port engine water intake though :rolleyes: Still waiting for a tech gadget to find that sort of thing. :D

Reading up a bit more in the User Guide, the camera actually takes an IR image and a regular visual image and 'overlays' them to give you the outline of things and results a decent quality of image.

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I wonder if this is the start of Ted's marine survey company?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
LOL....

the FLIR one is also on my x-mas wish list. already purchased a few of the micro boroscope cameras, one for me, a few for stocking stuffers.

StarTed

Senior Chief Petty Officer
From one "T" to another, congratulations on your new toy, er I mean tool. Also, are you beginning to count back down yet?

I just tell people that I'm 39 and some months. The months are getting fairly large however. ;)

tpenfield

Staff member
I've been itching for Spring to arrive so that the temps would start going up and I could do some decent 'testing/surveying' of my boat with the IR camera.

Well today was a pretty good day, cold over night and sunny in the morning to start to warm things up.

I went all through my boat looking for signs of trouble (moisture, etc.) and things looked pretty good. :)

Here are a few samples of what I took today.

The transom . . . looks OK . . . no really 'dark' (i.e. cold/wet) regions
IMG_7008.jpg

A close up of the transom near the drain plug . . . This looks pretty good to me. If the transom were wet, I'd see a dark colored region surrounding the drain.
IMG_7010.jpg

The deck . . . Looking for dark regions around the fittings
IMG_7012.jpg

My brother happens to be boat 'shopping' for a 12-14 year old Grady. I'm gonna have him use the IR camera . . .

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I realize that water would probably show up darker, but have you confirmed that yet? I ask because since you don't have any issue with yours, maybe you could look at someone else's boat that knows there is water intrusion to see exactly what that would look like. I'd like to see that as well. I always liked FLIR cameras. But the price is hard for me to justify. JMHO