Cleaning/sealing RV Roof........

WIMUSKY

Staff member
I was told I need to seal the rubber roof on my 5th wheel every year? I had it cleaned and sealed last year. Although, I thought it could have been cleaned better. It was a huge improvement, but not completely cleaned. Can mildew leach back out of the roof? I see it has mildew again, especially the back half. It's been stored out in the open too. Should I clean it this fall, or, wait until spring? I suppose both never hurts..... Any cleaner work better than another?

Thanks,
Musky

StarTed

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I'll tag along since I have a leak to seal and can also use some advice.

I'd think that all the mildew should be removed in order to get the best seal job. Maybe some kind of mildew prevention sealer would be the best in your case.

In my case I have some delaminating plywood to address as well.

Good luck.

wrvond

Chief Petty Officer
I was told I need to seal the rubber roof on my 5th wheel every year? I had it cleaned and sealed last year. Although, I thought it could have been cleaned better. It was a huge improvement, but not completely cleaned. Can mildew leach back out of the roof? I see it has mildew again, especially the back half. It's been stored out in the open too. Should I clean it this fall, or, wait until spring? I suppose both never hurts..... Any cleaner work better than another?

Thanks,
Musky

No, you don't need to seal your roof every year. In fact, rubber roof sealing is simply a way to separate you from your money, really. Rubber roofs are designed to last 20 years (or more).

Mildew on a rubber roof is pretty much the same as a boat's vinyl. It can keep coming back, but if the area is kept clean and dry, it's not likely.
If you aren't going to cover your unit, then I recommend cleaning in the spring.
The best care you can provide for your roof is to clean it each year with a soft bristle brush and mild detergent.

If you have a hole in your rubber roof, seal it up with Eternabond tape. The RV world's equivalent of 5200.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
I have a '04 travel trailer. It stays at a seasonal site partially under trees. The roof material was starting to get cracks in it last year. This year it was starting to actually get kinda gummy and fragile mostly in the half that's constantly stained with tree junk. Power washing didn't touch it. For holes and seams, the Eternabond tape is the BEST. For my overall deteriorating roof, I ended up coating it with this stuff: http://www.epdmcoatings.com/liquid-roof.php It was absolutely miserable to work with (really thick) but it's some darn good stuff. It's very pricey but of course much cheaper than a new roof.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
No, you don't have to seal it every year, I would recommend that you scrub it down with cleaner in the spring, they make specific cleaners for rubber roofs. I use eternabond on my RV's and that stuff is amazing. In the spring, spray it down with rubber roof cleaner, then broom, soft broom and then rinse and let air dry.. The rubber roof cleaner has a UV protector in it.

I would recommend tarping it, or getting a RV cover, they are actually not all that expensive, look on Ebay and you can pick up for your unit for less than a couple of hundred dollars.

Last edited:

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Tell me about it, Bruce........

Thanks for all the info. The game plan:

Use soapy water and a soft brush which we use on the awning. If it doesn't come as clean as I feel it should I'll spray and area with Camco's Rubber Roof Cleaner and Conditioner just to see if it helps. If so, I'll spray down the back half which is the dirtiest. And scrub it again.

We do have a fitted cover for it that I use. I took it off last spring since I didn't feel it should stay on with all the rain. Figured mildew would set in. Correct thinking? Or, should the cover stay on until the trailer is ready to use.....

mjf55

Chief Petty Officer
Wimusky, while up there check all seams, vents, pipes, etc to make sure they are water tight.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Tell me about it, Bruce........

Thanks for all the info. The game plan:

Use soapy water and a soft brush which we use on the awning. If it doesn't come as clean as I feel it should I'll spray and area with Camco's Rubber Roof Cleaner and Conditioner just to see if it helps. If so, I'll spray down the back half which is the dirtiest. And scrub it again.

We do have a fitted cover for it that I use. I took it off last spring since I didn't feel it should stay on with all the rain. Figured mildew would set in. Correct thinking? Or, should the cover stay on until the trailer is ready to use.....

If you have a cover that fits it, put it back on for winter storage, they breath and they protect.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
I plan on using it over winter. I guess my ? was, how long to leave it on over spring/summer since it won't be used right away?

wrvond

Chief Petty Officer
I plan on using it over winter. I guess my ? was, how long to leave it on over spring/summer since it won't be used right away?

Assuming it's an actual RV cover, you can leave it on indefinitely. The cover breathes and dries out easily. Good covers protect from dirt and uv, they aren't water proof. These covers are also rather fragile and can cut or tear easily, so be sure to check it often. Awning repair tape works well for small repairs.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
It appears to be a good cover. No doubt it's an RV cover. Form fitting.... Even matches the graphics on the trailer... Clothy/breatheable...... Even has a small cover for the trailer hitch...

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Cleaned all sides. Looks good. Need to try the top. Yeah, I should have done it first, but, I guess I'll just respray the sides, no biggy......

Bugs didn't come off very good. Am I'm going to have to use a bug remover and do it by hand?

Say, what's up with this? The one side is worse than the other......... It's been there for a year. Not sure I noticed b/4 or after I bought it....... Is it common occurrence from the hitch?

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Cleaned all sides. Looks good. Need to try the top. Yeah, I should have done it first, but, I guess I'll just respray the sides, no biggy......

Bugs didn't come off very good. Am I'm going to have to use a bug remover and do it by hand?

Say, what's up with this? The one side is worse than the other......... It's been there for a year. Not sure I noticed b/4 or after I bought it....... Is it common occurrence from the hitch?

You see that on a lot of hard sided RV's, either they didn't get a full coat of glue on the underside of the filon, or there is a small leak somewhere that is letting a bit of moisture under the skin. There is really nothing you can do about it, you would have to peel the skin and start over. Double check the roof to wall seam up above to make sure it is not leaking and double check the window above that area to make sure it is not leaking.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
That window above the bad side is leaking.....

Oh no! That is a few year old RV? That window needs to come out and have a new seal put under the lips of the window flange.

Park it and put the cover over it, then in the spring pull the window, clean everything up and put what we used to call par tape under the lip, trim it and seal the top 1/3rd of the window with a sealer designed for RV's!

Unfortunately, that window has been leaking since the day they put it is at the factory, I suspect they forgot the par tape when they installed.

But not a big worried, now that you have caught it.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
I ended up pulling the seam apart to see what was going on back there.. It's still under warranty. They're going to get a call tomorrow...... It's a 2011..... Thankfully the warranty transferred..... We're going to extend it out again once it expires this spring.....

We've had a lot of rain this year including 10" while we were camping. I'm sure that escalated the problem....

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I ended up pulling the seam apart to see what was going on back there.. It's still under warranty. They're going to get a call tomorrow...... It's a 2011..... Thankfully the warranty transferred..... We're going to extend it out again once it expires this spring.....

We've had a lot of rain this year including 10" while we were camping. I'm sure that escalated the problem....

Glad to hear that, they should be able to get it fixed up so it is sealed, I would be interested in seeing if they did seal that window at the factory, I know in helping my buddy as his shop, I have seen quite a few of them that they forgot to seal!

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Hopefully, the window will be covered too when that started flopping in the breeze going thru Crashville........