Email Client?

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
I am still using Outlook Express on my XP PC. It works just fine but it was not available to use on my Win 7 laptop so I used Mozilla Thunderbird on my Win 7 laptop. It has worked fine for some time but now there are issues. I understand that Mozilla has cast it off and there does not seem to be any support available.

I then thought I would try Windows Live Mail client. Googling the subject shows that Microsoft is abandoning that.

What to do? I want an email client that is resident on my computer. Any suggestions for one that is reliable and likely to be around for a while?

boatman37

Lieutenant
not sure if OpenOffice offers an email client or not but might be worth a shot. i haven't used it in several years and never for mail

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
What issues? I run Thunderbird with no problems.

This is the second Win 7 computer that I have had issues with. The first one was a friends computer. That happened several months ago. I switched him to LiveMail. But now I see that Microsoft will abandon that in 2017.

When I open the Thunderbird application it shows new emails being downloaded from my email service. But when I look in the Inbox, there is nothing new. The last new email shown in the Inbox was on 10/29. Also, there are no links for Thunderbird Tech help. They tell you that you have to register to ask questions on their forum but again there is no provision to register.

BruceB recommended Microsoft Outlook, but that is part of Office and I can't to spend the money for that.

bigdee

Commander
Thunderbird just released ver 45.4.0 on October 3,2016. I have automatic updates so I did not even know until I checked.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Thanks Bruce, a great help as always. I really feel stupid. Today, when I opened Thunderbird, as it was showing the emails that were downloading, I quickly clicked on one before the download preview disappeared. The email opened up. All of a sudden, all the emails that have been downloading since 10/30 appeared. Bottom line is that somehow the order of chronological email display in the inbox had gotten skewed. They were all there when I realigned the order.

But I will save your link for when I set up my new Win 10 Desktop. I am finally replacing my venerable old XP Dell.

EDIT: Just looked at the ebay link. It does not come with OUTLOOK. :blue:

Last edited:

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Thunderbird just released ver 45.4.0 on October 3,2016. I have automatic updates so I did not even know until I checked.

I checked. That is the version that I have. Thanks!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
EDIT: Just looked at the ebay link. It does not come with OUTLOOK. :blue:
Ahhh....bummer. I know others do though. When it comes time to get it, there will be others that have Outlook. That one I gave you awhile ago has Outlook. Can't remember what happened with that one.

My company still gives us office to use for home use. We have to install it through a special portal that gives you a certain number of downloads.

Here is one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Microsoft-O...023809?hash=item28237c0b81:g:904AAOSwPCVX8~5x

Last edited:

WIMUSKY

Staff member
We use MS Office Professional Plus 2010, which has Outlook. I see they have 2013 and now 2016.......

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
....... That one I gave you awhile ago has Outlook. Can't remember what happened with that one........

I still have that on my XP desktop that is in the process of getting replaced by a new Solid state drive, dual core Win 10 machine. I still have the download and key information but as you may recall, that was the last user for the program. Once I take the XP DT out of service and wipe it clean, I will have to figure out how do load that Office program to the new computer. I guess I might have to call Microsoft as it would probably tell me that there are no remaining uses

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
used Mozilla Thunderbird on my Win 7 laptop. It has worked fine for some time but now there are issues.

Not sure what you mean by "issues".

I used Thunderbird for many years om my winblows PC and have used it on my Linux PC for many years also.

My wife used is for many years on her windows (7) PC and last year, I transferred it directly to her new MACbook PRO. Now it's all she uses on her MAC.

Just went to https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/ I don't see where they've "cast it off"....... It's still being updated.

What's the "problem"?

BruceB recommended Microsoft Outlook, but that is part of Office and I can't to spend the money for that.
Yeah. I wouldn't waste money on Office. Most people don't need it at all. Libre Office will do just about everything you'll ever need to do (for home use) for zero dollars. http://www.libreoffice.org/ (I put that on my wifes MAC too!)

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
.....Not sure what you mean by "issues"........

The issues were inadvertently of my own making. Somehow the Date Header, in the inbox, got tickled so that the last emails received remained to show as Oct 27. Several days went by and that remained the case. All the while, every time I opened Thunderbird it would show that new emails were being downloaded but they never showed up at the top of the inbox list. Finally I tried clicking on one of the emails as was it being received. The email opened. When I closed it and reviewed the inbox, all those days of 'missing' email showed up in chronological order. That's when I figured out what had happened. All is well now BUT access to any Thundebird Help appears to be non-existant. In addition to all their canned help, they suggest the Thunderbird Community but to access it you need to register. There is a link to 'sign in' but there is absolutely no link to 'register. I have seen evidence of this dilemma on a google search.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
The issues were inadvertently of my own making. Somehow the Date Header, in the inbox, got tickled so that the last emails received remained to show as Oct 27.
by "tickled" I take that to mean you accidentally clicked on "DATE" above the actual date in an email in the inbox list.

That is a "toggle switch" Click it once and emails will be oldest first. Click it again and they'll be newest first. Standard "thing" in all email clients. (including outlook)

Ya gotta be careful where you click! (it's particularly bad if you click someplace and you don't know where you clicked!!)

You can tell what it does by just "hovering" your mouse arrow over each "button" [don't click!!"] after a second or two, a discription will pop up where your mouse cursor is telling what the button does. (also standard in most software)

In T-bird, hovering over all the "buttons" above your "list" of messages : Subject, Correspondents, Date, and the other buttons when clicked, will sort messages according to those parameters.

Here's the instruction describing this stuff! https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/qu...#answer-903129

It's pretty easy to find this stuff. I am not sure you could call someone on the phone even at Microshaft and get a decent explanation of this. The above instructions are really standard Windows interface functions. (same for Linux too by the way.....)

Hope that helps!

I am "Telephone Tech Support for my entire family!!"

I learned all this stuff by trial and error!!