win 10 issues.

82rude

Rear Admiral
LOL. I like my comp fast and crash free so no win10 for this particular laptop.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
MS fudged updating for W8.1 and down in their efforts to push W10. Keep checking for updates. You will be getting updates for days.

You don't need to worry about MS putting W10 on because you need to pay first.

82rude

Rear Admiral
Seems to be working great,much better than when I had 10 on it.

82rude

Rear Admiral
Well the win7 home premium is up and running.One issue I have is it refuses to update no matter what you do.Even Microsoft had a go at it last night for an hour to no avail.So microsoft india has upgraded me for a session tomorrow with the tech gurus higher up the food chain.All it does is look for updates for hours on end and that's it.

82rude

Rear Admiral
Took micro about an hour to fix the os.Stuff done way above my pay grade,lol.After he had fixed it he downloaded 157 updates!I drank tea and watched football as somebody half a world away fixed my computer,amazing!No more blue spinning circle of death like on win 10,horray!Now I just got to figure out how to transfer my files to my comp from my usb stick to the new system and actually make them work,lol.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
I just did a Win 7 Home Premium restore on the Wife's Dell 1764 64 bit laptop. She was taking it out of service and wanted it wiped clean of all her data. For some unknown reason, the restore partition was corrupted and would not work. Thinking that I owned the operating system, I thought that Dell should make something available to me to affect the restore. They told me that I should have made a 'restore' disc when we first bought the computer. However, for a mere $19.95 they would send me a Restore thumb drive. They did and it worked. Maybe this would be a least cost, least hassle option for you?

The Dell part number (at least for the Dell 1764) is 7HV83. The description on the packing slip is 'KIT. SW, W7HP64, USB, WW, MUI, ALL:

Along the way, during the restore, it looked as if all it wanted to do was to 'repair' the operating system. Near the end, it said no issues were found but gave the options to back up data on another thumb drive and then do a total restore. Give Dell a call.

EDIT: I see I missed Pg 2 before making this post. However I did not see how it was that you got back to Win 7?

Last edited:

82rude

Rear Admiral
I bought a new win 7,it wasn't on my comp anymore.Now wheres atall as far as I could see anyways.

boatman37

Lieutenant
doing a restore or even a fresh complete install does not remove old data (or at least ALL of it). you either need to physically destroy the old hard drive and replace it with a new one or to conduct a complete wipe using a wiping utility. a free one i have used is Active Killdisk. i have conducted forensic examinations on old hard drives that have been restored and there can be a ton of old files and remnants of files still showing. if you have a 500GB drive that is 50% full and you do a restore (that is maybe 15-20GB) that is over 200GB of untouched disk space. the pointers will be gone so the OS won't know how to find them but bad guys will. think of your OS as a book. when you delete a file it only removes the entry in the index that tells the OS where to find it but the actual page with the file is still there. using a wiping utility will 'erase' that page also. i think CCleaner also includes a wiping utility but i have never tried it to see how effective it is.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
doing a restore or even a fresh complete install does not remove old data (or at least ALL of it). you either need to physically destroy the old hard drive and replace it with a new one or to conduct a complete wipe using a wiping utility.
A new complete reformat would do the same thing right? I am not talking a quick format but a full format.

boatman37

Lieutenant
no. a full format still leaves data remnants, mostly in slack space. slack space is the remainder of a cluster that was unused by the new data write.and your old data that was written over is still there in the file slack. picture a 64 bit block that was full but your new data is only 58 bits. there is extra unused space at the end of the block that wasn't written over. your OS has no way of finding or reading that but it is still there. i know EnCase had a script that would search for number strings that would likely be SSN's or credit card numbers. i haven't done any forensic work in about 5 years but i do know there were free programs out there that could recover that (knoppix, test disk, and a few more that i can't remember now).

SSD's are a different story. i'm not up to speed on those but do know they are affected differently by formatting and deleting.

http://www.infotransec.com/blog/2013/06/18/erasing-all-data-your-hard-drive-format-vs-disk-wipe

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
OK..good to know. Whenever I get rid of a computer, the disk goes to my drill press first because it is faster than doing a wipe on the drive.

boatman37

Lieutenant
that may be Bruce. i have not done any forensic exams on Vista or newer. but i still would rather wipe or destroy it. there are several tools out there to view the data on the drive (Active Killdisk and FTK Imager are 2 off the top of my head). You can see what is written on the disk and see if a full format actually cleared it

82rude

Rear Admiral
Ran ccleaner just a few ago.COMP seems much faster now.Wiped out lots,

dolluper

Captain
Humm role the clock back before the 10 install ..then do an update on the works..old school