Weird happenings on Amazon

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Thats an option. I wonder if its foot pedal ready.
The link I sent you was for the one with the foot pedal. You can buy it either way and add the foot pedal later. I think the foot pedal is $190 or so for the one from Thermal Arc.

I only use foot pedal although a finger tip control would be nice for when I am not working at my welding table.

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral
bruce, thanks for the info. ThermalArc never came up on any of the top ten reviews I researched. But seeing its from Victor gives me more confidence than the Everlast. I may go that route when I'm ready to buy.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I have owned mine for over 8 years. Mine is made in Japan. Not sure where the newer ones are made.

At the time, it was the "go to" TIG welder for members on WeldingWeb. I was also looking at the Lincoln at that time too. Good thing I didn't buy it. It was made in Italy and people had many issues with it.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
bruce, thanks for the info. ThermalArc never came up on any of the top ten reviews I researched. But seeing its from Victor gives me more confidence than the Everlast. I may go that route when I'm ready to buy.

Howdy,

I may have missed it, but what kind of welding are you going to do?

That Thermal Arc unit is similar to my Miller Synchrowave 180 in power and operation. It appears to be similar in price too.
(The Synchrowave 180 was replaced by the Syn200) I wish I had held out for the 200.......For aluminum, I frequently run mine "flat-out"

I have never heard anything bad about Thermal Arc equipment either, If it was cheaper, I would get it.

Now having said that, a stick/GTAW welder might not be the best choice depending on what you're wanting to weld on a regular basis.

If I had it to do over again, I would get a Miller Autoset 211 (or something similar) because it will allow MUCH quicker all around steel/SS welding and for low amp jobs, you can run it on 120VAC. for higher power, you just connect it to 240AC

I do not do a lot of aluminium welding but the 211 works well with a spool gun.

If you're going to do a LOT of fab welding, or automotive sheet metal a wirefeed is much quicker and easier than GTAW. ( formerly known as TIG)

Bruce, My Harborfreight plasma cutter still works!!! (fingers crossed!!!)

Regards,

Rick

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral
Howdy,

I may have missed it, but what kind of welding are you going to do?

That Thermal Arc unit is similar to my Miller Synchrowave 180 in power and operation. It appears to be similar in price too.
(The Synchrowave 180 was replaced by the Syn200) I wish I had held out for the 200.......For aluminum, I frequently run mine "flat-out"

I have never heard anything bad about Thermal Arc equipment either, If it was cheaper, I would get it.

Now having said that, a stick/GTAW welder might not be the best choice depending on what you're wanting to weld on a regular basis.

If I had it to do over again, I would get a Miller Autoset 211 (or something similar) because it will allow MUCH quicker all around steel/SS welding and for low amp jobs, you can run it on 120VAC. for higher power, you just connect it to 240AC

I do not do a lot of aluminium welding but the 211 works well with a spool gun.

If you're going to do a LOT of fab welding, or automotive sheet metal a wirefeed is much quicker and easier than GTAW. ( formerly known as TIG)

Bruce, My Harborfreight plasma cutter still works!!! (fingers crossed!!!)

Regards,

Rick

I've had a Harris 2 stage oxy/acy outfit and a Lincoln 225 for 30 plus years. I recently picked up a Hobart 210 MVP and a spool gun for gas shielded MIG. I don't do enough welding to justify owning any of the equipment. I'm more of a hobbyist and collector.............. lol. I?m thinking of the TIG machine to round out my collection, plus it will give me another skill to work on. There is always someone with a project or piece of equipment that needs to be welded. Plus come on what?s cooler than going out into your garage and fusing metal with fire or electricity:D:D:D.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
I've had a Harris 2 stage oxy/acy outfit and a Lincoln 225 for 30 plus years. I recently picked up a Hobart 210 MVP and a spool gun for gas shielded MIG. I don't do enough welding to justify owning any of the equipment. I'm more of a hobbyist and collector.............. lol.
Well............that's completely different!!

If I had gotten a wirefeed welder first, I probably would be doing the same thing!!! I am STILL going to get something like the Miller Autoset 211 or maybe even a 215!

Can't have enough toys!!!:thumb:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I am going to be replacing my 110V Lincoln MIG with a Miller 211.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
BTW, from what I read the ThermalArcs are now manufactured in China........
Really? That sucks.

I would still probably pick it over the Everlast though. At least they were likely designed in the US...kinda like an iPhone. Call them and ask them where they are made.

EDIT: Yep looks like China. That would definitely make me think twice about buying it. At least you would have a US company behind it. Glad I have my TA 185.

Last edited:

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander
sometimes they put things on there for lower price but it is only one item. first guy to press check out now gets it I believe. I could be wrong.