RV 12v pump problems

Tony T.

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok my 12v Shurflo pump (newly replaced a couple years ago from the orginal) runs and pumps but is not working right. Here's whats happening fill up 1/2 full 40 gallon storage tank, turn on 12v pump and it continues to run which indicates a leak, found the leak, it's pumping water back outside through the "city" connection. Also if city water connection hose is hooked up, it's bypassing and filling up the 40 gallon storage tank. Does this mean the diaphragm in the 12v pump is bad, because I'm thinking that it has a one way flow check valve. This 12v pump is installed on a 28ft Prowler Travel Trailer.

Thanks for any information.

Tony

mjf55

Chief Petty Officer
My understanding ( at least on my Heartland TT ) is that the pump has a built in checkvalve to make sure that the water only flows one way thru it. Sounds like yours is bad. Not sure if it can be repaired.

mla2ofus

Chief Petty Officer
Sounds like the pump is installed backward letting city water flow thru it. City water connection check valves can go bad or get a foreign object lodged in the check valve.
mike

Tony T.

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My understanding ( at least on my Heartland TT ) is that the pump has a built in checkvalve to make sure that the water only flows one way thru it. Sounds like yours is bad. Not sure if it can be repaired.
I believe you are correct, after posting here I did a little more research and from what I gather the Shurflo pumps have a internal diaphragm check valve as you said only flows one way. If this is damaged the flow of water could flow either way. I installed this pump a couple years ago and everything at the time worked fine. I took the pump apart and it looks pretty simple design internally. From my little bit of research so far I have not found the correct diaphragm check valve for it yet and I'm seeing prices all over the place from $13.00 right up to around $40.00 bucks just for a replacement diaphragm/check valve. I can buy the same pump I have for $69.00 bucks free shipping off Amazon, I may just go that route and later on if I come across the for sure right diaphragm/check valve at a reasonable cost I'll repair this one that is broken.

mjf55

Chief Petty Officer
Tony, I think you have the right plan. Get the new one. Keep the old one for spare parts and or repair as you stated. Good luck. Let us know how you make out.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
It is pumping water out of the city water hook up? If so, your check valve at the city water hook up is bad, it is not an uncommon problem, when helping my buddy who owns an RV shop, we see it all of the time, the plastic check valve gets brittle and falls apart.

A lot of the units now a days fills the tank when the city water is hooked up, I know on my Winne if the tank is below full, it will fill the storage tank and then pressurize the system, that is pretty common these days as well

Tony T.

Petty Officer 2nd Class
It is pumping water out of the city water hook up? If so, your check valve at the city water hook up is bad, it is not an uncommon problem, when helping my buddy who owns an RV shop, we see it all of the time, the plastic check valve gets brittle and falls apart.

A lot of the units now a days fills the tank when the city water is hooked up, I know on my Winne if the tank is below full, it will fill the storage tank and then pressurize the system, that is pretty common these days as well
Ok thanks for that info,looks like I need to replace the city water hook up also, although the city water and 40 gallon storage fill are side by side as a joint unit even though I had planned to replace that anyway because this is like a 2000 year model trailer built in late 1999 and the plastic parts in places are looking a little shabby. Thanks for the info on the city water check valve.

Tony