cozy wall furnace problems

82rude

Rear Admiral
I have a cozy counter flow wall furnace that up until now has been fine.Pilot light is on but I cant get her to fire up.I suspect maybe a faulty thermostat,so I bought another one but no joy.Checked all house fuses ,ok there.How do you test the wiring ,may be a mouse or other rodent has cut my wire in the wall somewhere to the thermostat?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
use a multi-meter to check continuity between the thermostat end of the wire and the valve end of the wire. the valve could be bad too

82rude

Rear Admiral
Thanks.sorry but you lost me as I'm not and elct .I do have a multi meter .On the back of the t stat theres 2 wires one red one white ,test for con there?or are talking about at the furnace?

Scott Danforth

Staff member
use the ohm scale, your multi meter should also have an alarm button that will beep when you touch the two leads together. go from the end of the white wire at the thermostat to the white wire at the furnace. if it beeps the white wire is good. then do the red. Beep would indicate the wire is good, no beep would indicate the wire is bad

however if you have only a red and white wire, jumping the two together at the furnace should fire the furnace.

sometimes the solenoid sticks. my grandfather (5 years in the business) would turn the thermostat up, then tap on the valve with the handle of his screwdriver. many times that was enough to get the furnace working again.

82rude

Rear Admiral
Scott, found the problem.Jumped the t stat at the furnace and she fired up.Blasted rodent must of ate through the wiring.Will redo.Thanks for the help..

Scott Danforth

Staff member
no problem. one of the settings, either the little arrow setting or the zig-zag at the 5:00 and 5:30 position should beep when you touch the two leads together

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Is your T stat mechanical, if so, you should hear a click when you turn it, double check the contact points in it, often times they will get dirty enough to impede current through the T stat.

82rude

Rear Admiral
Is your T stat mechanical, if so, you should hear a click when you turn it, double check the contact points in it, often times they will get dirty enough to impede current through the T stat.
No it was digital and I actually got another one and same thing its a rodent that most likely decied to cut me off,lol.Scott, didn't beep so I thought it wasn't right ,I would assume for future reference the digital would show some sort of reading?ive bookmarked a couple of youtube vids that were excellent on showing how to use the meter for different apps so I can reference in the future.All,s ok now.

82rude

Rear Admiral
With a house with no basement its an ongoing battle .I'm just assuming as I havnt seen any sign but that means squat.Will have a chat with the head of the neighborhood cat union and see why their not doing their job.Was thinking maybe one our Florida iboaters could send me up a 6 foot python!Will get one of the girls to knit him or her a fur body sock for the winter.:joyous:

Scott Danforth

Staff member
I dont have any pythons, however i can send you our cat

82rude

Rear Admiral
Jeez, don't you guys down there have about a hundred thousand Burmese pythons now?

Scott Danforth

Staff member
The glades maybe. A few juvenile ones around here, some now missing their heads. I do have a few rat snakes and black racers in the yard