AC compressor

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
last week while on a 3 day mini vacation while getting the truck hooked up my AC compressor failed this makes 3 in 2 years the original lasted 11 years, the replacement was new NAPA that failed in 10 mouths it was under warranty and that failed last week. the thing is is this normal, i know the component is often related to price, and its getting expensive i am about 1000 in repairs not counting the new one tomorrow

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
find out what is taking out your compressor. generally either the orifice in the h-block is partially plugged and your pressures are high, or the oil in the compressor was low.

alldodge

Staff member
My thought with a compressor is get the same one that came with it new. Getting something from NAPA use to mean quality, not so much anymore.

What part of the compressor failed?

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
to me it seams like its a bearing, it locks up and smokes the belt, and even though its not in use it makes nose in the heat cycle
and yes i have used NAPA part for 30 years

gm280

Supreme Mariner
A few questions. Are you changing the AC compressors or are you having it done at a AC shop? I ask because once you open up the system, you have to evacuate the entire system before refilling. And I would absolutely replace the expansion valve each time regardless how it looks. BUT, I would also re-oil the system with fresh Pag oil that your compressor calls for and evacuate and refill with the Freon. But doing all that while monitoring both the low and high pressure sides of the compressor. It depends on the ambient air temperature to know the correct pressures to fill to. So if you are doing the work your self, you can still do those things with a good gauge set and a vacuum pump you could get from an auto parts store on loan. JMHO

alldodge

Staff member
Being the bearing went ou twice then I would stay clear of the napa ones. I would suggest finding what brand came with it new, and use it. You don't have to by it from a dealer, my truck came with a Doosan and after 125K miles the clutch plate broke off. Bought one on line and had it installed, all is good

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
My thought with a compressor is get the same one that came with it new. Getting something from NAPA use to mean quality, not so much anymore.

What part of the compressor failed?

These days, somethings from NAPA are good quality items, A/C not so much, it is best to make sure and completely rebuild the system, you can't just replace the compressor or you are just asking for a short term solution that is going to go out again when you start using it daily during the heat.

It is always best to spend the money to do it right, or you are just asking for failure.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
locking up and smoking the belt is the compressor itself locking up. could be bearings, could be low oil.

I had a local shop evacuate and charge the system in the daily driver after I spent 2 days changing the evaporator coil and the drier/expansion block. I had even given the shop the PAG oil. 2 days later the compressor locked up and smoked the belt while heading down the highway at 75.

pulled the compressor to find not a drop of oil. last time I will ever use that shop.

A good friend of mine has a vacuum pump and gauges so I decided to evac and fill myself after I filled the compressor with 4.8 oz of PAG and installed, I changed the drier and expansion block, did an evac and fill.... that was a year ago

will be replacing the condenser and drier/expansion block again in a few weeks as the system leaked down recently (crack in condensor/port joint).

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
ok a bit more info, no i have it changed at a shop, the place i have been using uses only NAPA parts and thats a big plus for me and he has been doing my work for the last 10 plus years, he dose very good work and their is rarely any problems and i am not upset by it but right now i an in for a lot of money and i have having it done again how ever its real short life spans and their is some reason, and i have it done at shops, my days of work is small stuff these days, and if it goes out again i will replace it with a delco

i have no idea about what they do to recharge the system, i am supplying the parts this time so at least that should help, new compressor, dryer, orifice, drive belt and oil

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Quick question. Is your AC compressor being driven off a serpentine belt setup? If so is the auto tensioner good? Because if there is too much side load on the bearing in the compressor, it could cause a premature failure. Just a thought. JMHO

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
i got it out of the shop yesterday and its working fine again, i will just have to wait and see if its fixed this time

gm280

Supreme Mariner
AC systems always seem to work great in the winter.:facepalm:

Harritwo

Chief Petty Officer
When the original compressor failed, was the system flushed and cleaned? How about on the subsequent failures?