How to connect a generator to the transfer box on the house

Begester

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi Everyone - I'm trying to do some prep for Hurricane Matthew and am looking for a little insight into how to connect my generator to my house. I've got a transfer switch and the transfer switch is wired through my circuit breaker (see attached photos). I thought all I had to do was connect the generator to the plug near the transfer switch but upon further inspection, the outlet isnt wired through the transfer switch. The outlet also works without the generator hooked up. Is there something on the transfer box I need to wire the generator to?

Attachments

• photo253460.jpg
    photo253460.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 0

Begester

Petty Officer 1st Class
No Title

Here's a photo of the transfer box

Attachments

• photo253462.jpg
    photo253462.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 0

alldodge

Staff member
The house gen should turn things on designated circuits when power fails on the main line. Who installed the generator?

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I know our local electric company just put out a note that we are not suppose to work one the switch over systems anymore unless you are an electrician, seems they were getting to many feedback problems here in the wild west.

rbh

Fleet Admiral
YUP, don' fry your local lineman- binderfeltit bzzzzz

KD4UPL

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Your transfer switch has no generator input. The outlet beside it has nothing to do with it (I hope).
The big black object inside the box with the big red and black wires hooked to it is the transfer mechanism. It should have 2 more screws that aren't being used. These would be the place where the 2 hot wires from your generator (L1 and L2) connect. The white wire from your generator connects to the bar with the other white wires and the ground from the generator connects to where the other bare ground wires are. You'll need to make a 4 wire cord to plug into your generator and then connect to the switch. If your generator is so small that it doesn't have a 4 wire 240v/120v output then you would have to combine both the legs onto the one hot wire. This will allow 120v things to work in the house but not 240v things like a well pump.
That switch is made to be used with an automatic Generac generator. There should be a little yellow handle somewhere that fits into the little yellow hole beside the transfer mechanism. This will allow you to manually transfer. The mechanism will "fight" you if you try to do it with grid power applied as it is trying to maintain service.

Baylinerchuck

Commander
Atleast you asked👍🏼. Many people injure themselves, wreck the generator, or their houses trying to hook these up. I used the transfer switch that northern tool sells to hook mine up. It's a bit more simplistic but safe. I really like the automatic transfer switch you have though. That thing would be awesome if hooked up to the right generator.

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
If your asking these questions, it might be best to break open the wallet and get professional help with this. This is not a simple task. Just because it may work one way, doesn't mean it's done correctly. There's just too much to explain. Grounding, bonding, amperage ratings, wire sizes, proper connections, proper hardware etc...etc.There is so much that can be done "wrong" here. Anything from just "not right" to very dangerous for you, your family and any electrical service workers out in the field.
Glad your asking though. Some people think they can figure it out and get themselves in trouble.