Another compressor thread

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral
I've got an older Emglo compressor with a 30 gallon tank that's leaking. The unit has sat for a long time but still generates air at a great rate. After pricing replacement tanks I've decided to by a harbor frieght type unit with a comparable size tank and switch all the running gear. A complete compressor can be had for less than $200.00 where as the replacement tanks are double that. Any thoughts on possible issues?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Okay LT, I have to ask, why buy a new compressor and swap the parts over? Why not just use the new compressor like it is? You could sell off the old compressor off as parts and buy a little larger new compressor. JMHO

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I have never had any problems with HF compressors, I have a couple of them around here and they get used as much as my large shop compressor, last time I heard the HF compressors are being made by Ingersol as is Campbell Hausfield, Home Depot and Lowers, they private label a lot of compressors in this country..

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral
The Emglo unit is an industrial grade compressor. Cast iron cylinders and a Beldon motor. The thing is just about bullet proof. Plus the CFM rating is higher on the Emglo than the HF. That said I may run the HF till it pukes then do the change over.

lckstckn2smknbrls

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Look for a compressor with a multi year warranty. The last 2 new compressors I bought were from Menards and both have 2 year warranties. HF only warranties their compressors for 90 days.
CL is a good place to find bad compressors with good tanks or bare tanks.