Updating Adobe Flash Player?

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
When AFP needs updating in Firefox, Firefox blocks it. You have to give permission to 'allow' it every time it is needed. The 'update now' links that are provided have never worked. I have, numerous times before, found another link to update it but this time I cannot find it. When you use the link provided in Firefox addons, you have to de-select install McAfee, then download the update file. When you run it it goes to 50% then fails.

Somewhere before I ran across a link that did not have the McAfee program and it would complete the install.

Any ideas?

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I just go directly to the firefox website and try from there, I won't let it live update, I always save the update on my desktop then double click to open the update program up.

Tnstratofam

Commander
I usually go directly to Adobe's website and update from there. I've had less issues that way versus following the links from Firefox. Also unless you use it or need it I always disable / uncheck the McAfee ad on before downloading the update.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Everywhere I go it brings up the same download page. Even after adding GA Boater's McAfee opt out app, all the pages have that option on them. The download page for AFP, that I used successfully before does not look like this.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Everywhere I go it brings up the same download page. Even after adding GA Boater's McAfee opt out app, all the pages have that option on them. The download page for AFP, that I used successfully before does not look like this.

Looks like the standard update screen I always see, which computer are you trying to update, this is not your XP machine is it? I have not been able to update my XP machine for about a year now.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Looks like the standard update screen I always see, which computer are you trying to update, this is not your XP machine is it? I have not been able to update my XP machine for about a year now.

Yep! but I have been able to update AFP much more recently than a year.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
I normally don't even worry about it, until I run into something that won't run.

That is happening more and more. FF says AFP is incompatible with it. That is because I am deluged by FF updates. No wonder AFP can't keep up.
btw, seems we missed out on a meeting this summer, huh?

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
That is happening more and more. FF says AFP is incompatible with it. That is because I am deluged by FF updates. No wonder AFP can't keep up.
btw, seems we missed out on a meeting this summer, huh?

I was in town for exactly 27 hours and then headed back to Montana, I am hoping to get back this coming spring or summer and spend about a week where I don't have to do anything, it has been a longer road than I want to travel again and even through I miss Dad, I am glad it is finally calming down and I can get back to living a bit. Dad, Mom and My Sister are finally at rest and I hope I can now start living again.

Sorry I should have sent you a note, but things have been nuts.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you cant update AFP on XP anymore. and firefox updates crash too. Im running a backdated version of firefox (39) to keep my xp machine running.

Tnstratofam

Commander
you cant update AFP on XP anymore. and firefox updates crash too. Im running a backdated version of firefox (39) to keep my xp machine running.

This is good to know. I'll have to be careful with my XP machine and any updates. I have the automatic updates turned off so I can control what updates go through. I'm only using this machine for a few older games and most of my music is still on it. I'm running Win8 on the laptops we use.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Why isn't that information available when you google the subject?

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Microsoft is not updating anything to do with XP and the search engines are not indexing anything to do with XP anylonger, as far as they are concerned it is a dead OS.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Why isn't that information available when you google the subject?

it was in the little notice you got on your computer that stopped comming around April of 2015 when it stated that XP is no longer supported.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
I know that Microsoft no longer supports XP. My point was if Adobe Flash Player no longer works with XP, why do I not find any statements to that effect?

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Boom, you are going to have to update to at least Windows 7, and then run your program in compatibility mode, it will run under 7, you just need to set it up correctly.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Boom, you are going to have to update to at least Windows 7, and then run your program in compatibility mode, it will run under 7, you just need to set it up correctly.

I could go for Win 7 but I would have to get a new machine. That'd p*** me off as this old Dell would probably keep working for the next 5 years. In addition to that, Win 7 will not run my old HP 2100 printer.