Smart Phone Calender?

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
I am just getting into using my bundled smart phone calendar app. So far it is pretty nifty. You can load in an appointment date and set it to notify with a chosen amount of time in advance. So if you have a doctor's appointment on a Friday, you can have it give you a heads up two days in advance.

Some of the things that I will load in will be for years in advance, ie, things such as various permit renewals that do not give you any reminders.

My question is, what happens if you loose your phone. Even if you just changed phones, it would be a PIA to go thru your calendar and find entries some years in advance as well as even transfer more current appointments.

southkogs

Staff member
There's typically cloud backup available for most of those. I use the iCalendar that's native in the Apple stuff, and all of mine is associated with my iCloud. You can probably tie into Google Calendar and just update that way. Then you can access it across platforms.

jbcurt00

Staff member
IIRC, you can tie your android phone to a google (or other) acct. And setup up calendars that backup to that acct. So I can also load my phone calendar on a pc via gmail and google calendar. Adding appts/dates there will auto-update to the phone.

I just checked and my droid calendar is tied to a gmail acct.

So as long as I have access to that gmail acct, reloading that to a different/new phone, populates the phones calendar.

I think MSN/Hotmail/Outlook can also be used similarly to gmail.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
If your phone is sync'd with your email account and calendar ( I'm sync'd with 3 email accounts and calendars), re-syncing the new phone , you would be good to go.

I use my backup pro and once a month, completely back up my phone.

For work reasons, I don't use cloud backup

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
If your phone is sync'd with your email account and calendar ( I'm sync'd with 3 email accounts and calendars), re-syncing the new phone , you would be good to go.

I use my backup pro and once a month, completely back up my phone.

For work reasons, I don't use cloud backup

Where do you back up to, Scott. I don't think that I would have a problem backing my calendar up to the cloud. I did download the Google Calendar App. Interesting that it captured all the dates that I had loaded on to the native calendar app.

How do I affect a back up? The calendar does appear to be 'synched' to my Gmail Acct. I do not often use it though.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Try logging into your Google account via a computer and then look at the calendar. If you can enter an appointment in your smartphone app and it appears in your online Google calendar, you're already backing up your calendar data.

southkogs

Staff member
Where do you back up to, Scott.
Not to answer for Scott, but to add a voice - I don't "back up" to the cloud either. But that's with some things. Things like my calendar are fine to put on the cloud for me (there's nothing earth shattering in my calendar).

My real working files that I don't put on the web live mainly on an external hard drive - that I back up on another. And then archive on (for the moment) DVD.

How do I affect a back up? The calendar does appear to be 'synched' to my Gmail Acct. I do not often use it though.
You don't really have to backup a Google calendar. Effectively, Google does that for you. The only hitch is that you have to be able to synch up with Google for any updated events.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Google calendar on your phone will backup to the cloud. I use Google calendar and sync it with my Microsoft Exchange servers as well.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I backup my phone onto my 64GB sim card on my phone, which is then copied to my work station at home. the workstation gets backed up to an external USB drive for archiving. The backup to the sim card works great as I then just need to re-load my backup pro, and restore the phone. since I have had the phone replaced twice now, it worked almost flawlessly.

since we constantly have notes and files attached to calendar invites for work, I back up everything that way. for ITAR purposes, I do not use the cloud in the event the data crosses international lines.