Yup, it is that time of year again, Snow Plows!

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I was just wondering from the other guys out there running snow plows, I have a Meyer, with an E60 pump on it, I rebuilt it a year and a half ago, but I need to flush and put new fluid in it, and was wondering because I can't seem to find any flushing fluid locally, would it hurt anything to flush with Kerosene? Any of you guys out there using Kerosene to flush your pumps? Or should I just order Hydra fluid and wait a week and do this. I really hate to order it, they always want an extra fee because it is a chemical.

Thanks.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
I'd be worried about the effect of kerosene on any seals and hoses....and I suppose there is always a very remote issue with flammability and electric solenoids.

It should still be warm enough to just use a bulk jug of no-name summer hydraulic fluid to flush the system well, then drain and refill with your higher-end (and $$$$ ) winter fluid.

(my experience consists of sharing an older Fisher unit to keep a cottage road open in winter for 4-5 years. there are now enough people using the road that we contact out. The one year we did not drain and flush in the fall we battled freeze-ups until we flushed and drained in January....September is way better timing. :) . The years we did D&F we tried a few different methods and fluids....they all seemed to work fine. )