Any ideas on making a plastic sled

Zhulkk

Seaman Apprentice
I have a project in mind, but this project would require a sled almost like a jet sled. Although a jet sled might work it would be almost too short. Does anyone know how I would go about forming my own sled?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
We may need a little more info to give and answer. Type of plastic, size of sled, the exact use, your experience, etc.

Zhulkk

Seaman Apprentice
Whatever would work best, I believe most jet sleds and otter sleds are made from polyethylene. It will be used for goose and duck hunting, to haul decoys but for me to lay in when I'm in the field. Live on a farm so if I'm not sure what I'm doing someone in the family should.

Attachments

• shappell_jet_sled_419526_1.jpg
    shappell_jet_sled_419526_1.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 0

muskyfins

Chief Petty Officer
polyethylene is a pain to form without the proper equipment. Molded jet sled will be far and away the least expensive route.

My recommendation if you really insist on building something custom, is to build from some other material (like wood or aluminum) and line the bottom with 1/8 polyethylene.

You could always buy sheet polyethylene and fabricate, but it will be much more expensive in the long run.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I would just find an old broke down jet ski, pop the top off it, plug the jet hole and put an eye bolt on it, you can find them on Craigslist for free quite often.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Whatever would work best, I believe most jet sleds and otter sleds are made from polyethylene. It will be used for goose and duck hunting, to haul decoys but for me to lay in when I'm in the field. Live on a farm so if I'm not sure what I'm doing someone in the family should.

I just did a search based on the picture you posted, on google, for the cost of one, they were all less than $60 bucks, I would just buy one, you are looking at a lot of work to make one?

One other thing, if you have a local good will, salvation army, second hand store, look for an old car top carrier, the old wider clamshell type, then pop the hinge and you have two sleds that can be hooked together and carry even more decoys.

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
If this is intended to float, why not just buy a small used row boat? A cheapo one from craigslist maybe.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
FWIW, when I worked at a company that made a lot of plastic guards and guides, a bunch of us got together and made a lexan and teflon toboggan. we used 1/4" lexan that was heat formed, and to that we used 4" wide, 1/2" thick teflon runners. we used an aluminum frame. I swear it went 70-80 mph down the hill

besides scaring the crap out of me, and one of the other guys breaking a leg by hitting a car in traffic, the cost was about $80 in materials back in the early 90's. the lexan didnt survive the impact in the cold.

buying a jet sled for your needs at about $35 plus $8 shipping is the way to go.

here is the google search with pricing https://www.google.com/search?q=jet...led&safe=off&tbm=shop&spd=8251774231901192702

Zhulkk

Seaman Apprentice
Well I am looking for one that will fit me laying down I'm 6ft tall. For me to find on that long they are looking at about $200 and they are way too wide at that point. Maybe fiberglass would be my best bet. I plan on making modifications to the sled for laying in almost like a layout blind.

Last edited:

muskyfins

Chief Petty Officer
Well I am looking for one that will fit me laying down I'm 6ft tall. For me to find on that long they are looking at about $200 and they are way too wide at that point. Maybe fiberglass would be my best bet. I plan on making modifications to the sled for laying in almost like a layout blind.

You anywhere near Chicago? Buy 2 short units, bring them here-we'll weld each half together for you.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
You could always build a mockup using 1/8" luan ply and then apply CSM and polyester resin over it. It would hold up very well, be waterproof and you can custom the size anyway you like. JMHO

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Find a damaged clam shell shelter for ice fishing on craigslist and throw away the fabric portuon

Zhulkk

Seaman Apprentice
You could always build a mockup using 1/8" luan ply and then apply CSM and polyester resin over it. It would hold up very well, be waterproof and you can custom the size anyway you like. JMHO
That sounds like a great idea!