Anybody have a good way to fix....

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Well I need to repair the intake boot on my ATV so I can get the damn thing sold, I bought a new Carb and Intake boot for it, put it together and had it running great, went to start up for the guy I am selling it to, it ran out of gas and then backfired and split the new intake boot, and the company I bought it from, is out of stock right now, so I was figuring, I could figure a way to fix it so the bike would at least run!

Anybody have a way to bandage these things?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
MT, what about some RTV? It does cure flexible and can easily withstand chemicals as well. JMHO

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
I'd be concerned about why it backfired. And the boot should be fine if it's not backfiring. It's another problem that needs to be fixed before you can sell it anyway.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I'd be concerned about why it backfired. And the boot should be fine if it's not backfiring. It's another problem that needs to be fixed before you can sell it anyway.

I don't believe it was a true backfire, Yamaha ATV are known to pop when they run out of fuel, but when I took it off, it looked more like it was pulled apart, which might have happened when I was mounting the air intake tube to the carb. I ended up using Seal All in the crack, then put a rubber patch over top the area that I repaired and now I am going to wrap it with heat resistant rubber tape.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
If you can, put a few tie wraps on to keep it from splitting and hold the tape on.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
That should do it. Do quick black spray job on it.

82rude

Rear Admiral
If and I mean if it continues to backfire you need to do a valve lash adjustment which is quite simple.Kawasaki atv,s particularly were known for that issue.Just fixed my brothers 360 .He figured it was time for a new motor ,I had it running like new in no time.Takes way longer to get to the motor than it actually takes to adjust.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Well just an update, got her purring like a kitten again, fixing the intake boot was not as bad as I thought, First I put seal all automobile gasket contact cement in the crack and held it together until it cured, then cut a piece of Max 600V rubber tape and contact cemented a patch over that, let it cure, then wrapped with two layers overlapping of the Max 600V rubber tape. Once that all cured, I took black RTV and went around the inside of the joint just to make sure there were no leaks and let it cure, put it back on, hit the go button and she started purring like a kitten again!

That all said and done, talk about a poorly designed system, the boot consists of two pot metal flanges what have been molded inside rubber, so if you put any stress on it when trying to put the air tube back in, you split the boot at the engine. The problem is they made the air intake tube out of hard, none flexible plastic, so you have to push down on the carb to get the darn air tube on it!

Thanks for the help guys!