Harbor Freight Predator Engine Parts

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant
I've got a HF chipper/shredder with the 6.5 HP Predator engine, which I really like. However, when I try to do a simple, basic service, changing the air cleaner element - can't find a replacement. I'd read that the Predator 6.5 is a clone of the Honda 6.5, so tried the AC from Honda. It is identical except for being about 3/8" too tall - so won't fit in the enclosure.

​Naturally HF doesn't sell something that one would logically think would be a staple of their inventory.

I've looked at the go-cart suppliers. But, they only seem to sell the high performance go-cart stuff that doesn't look like a good fit for the dusty, bang around environment of my chipper/shredder.

Anybody know a source for OEM or OEM equivalent air filter elements for the HF 6.5 HP engine?

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
When dealing with HF stuff, there is no OEM stuff, but normally you can find who actually made the engine and find something to replace it. I like their prices, but I had their parts support, often times, I take my part off and spend some time matching, also don't forget to look through the auto parts stores, my last gas engine I had from HF, I found an automobile filter that fit perfect. A lot of the HF stuff actually uses Briggs and Straton engines. I have also cut the paper element out and replaced it with a foam oil bath that will fit the frame diameter.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
May want to check with LCT motors as well. That are probably the best China Honda clone motors out there. There are also carb adapters and small K&N filters that you could look into

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant
Took a nap and then a fresh look at it. The Honda unit actually is a close enough fit (I think). The original HF filter was clamped down on the housing base with a 6 mm wing nut. Then the housing cover goes on top and is secured with a second 6 mm wing nut. If I install the Honda unit without the first wing nut, the cover clamps the filter down and just about contacts the base (1/16" off at most).

​Still irks me that HF does not carry some of the basic consumable parts for the engines that they sell.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Lots of time when you buy HF items, they look near identical to name brand products. But they use really cheap internal parts that are not even close to the name brand items. Cheap spec bearings and who knows what they really use to build things. It really boils down to you get what you pay for. Now I am not saying that I don't or haven't bought some HF junk, but for items I really don't care how long they last. If I am looking for something serious to last a long time, HF doesn't even make the list of places to check. And I think most guys do similar thinking as well. JMHO

mla2ofus

Chief Petty Officer
I picked up a HF 3 HP air compressor pump for $40 off because the plastic air filter housing was broke.Contacted HF parts and was told it was NLA, more likely NWA(never was available). Since it had std pipe threads into the head I just built a metal housing to fit the filter.
Mike

tpenfield

Staff member
I put the HF 6.5 (Hemi version) on my old Toro snow blower. When I was doing some research on engines, maintenance parts (lack thereof) was the talk of the Internet. So, my understanding is that you have to improvise in many cases.

I guess the good thing about HF engines is that if they fail, you are not heavily invested . . . I got my 6.5 HP for $99 :)

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Lots of time when you buy HF items, they look near identical to name brand products. But they use really cheap internal parts that are not even close to the name brand items. Cheap spec bearings and who knows what they really use to build things. It really boils down to you get what you pay for. Now I am not saying that I don't or haven't bought some HF junk, but for items I really don't care how long they last. If I am looking for something serious to last a long time, HF doesn't even make the list of places to check. And I think most guys do similar thinking as well. JMHO

Yep....... And they lack the power to do the job, at least in my experience. I'm done going to HF............... I'll stick to name brand and pay the price......

gm280

Supreme Mariner
WIMUSKY, I recently bought a HF die grinder for the occasional cut off disk usage. I like to have three or four setting around with different attachments ready to go like that. However, when you spin the HF unit over, it sounds like a tin can with marbles rolling around inside. My Ingersoll Rand and Dotco die grinders are totally silky smooth and powerful. Can't say that about the cheapo HF unit. Of course the cheapo HF unit cost a mere very small fraction of the other units too. I wouldn't even consider buying a HF unit for serious usage. JMHO

waterinthefuel

Commander
HF has some really good stuff, but they have some junk too. I mean their free set of screwdrivers is as good as any set you'll buy in the store. A screwdriver is a screwdriver. Same with their hammers. I have tons and tons of stuff from HF. I have their toolbox, 1/2" impact wrench (that thing is a beast, I'll put it against any ingorsol-rand of the same size), socket sets, wrenches, pliers (rusted out junk now) I even got their 8' trailer and put a box on it. My dad has bought lots of stuff too, most recently their 3 foot long LED magnetic work light. He complained that it wasn't bright enough...until I showed him it had two brightness settings, he had it on low. On high it's perfectly fine LOL

I got their red 4" die grinder. It's a very nice unit and I use it regularly. The above poster talked about the noise it makes when he flips it over. Mine does that too, it's the mandrel that doesn't fit the die wheels right. It has nothing to do with the grinder itself. For 15 bucks it can't be beat.

For the impact wrench it was like 59.99. Same one from ingorsol-rand is like 250. I guarantee that IR unit isn't 5 times better. I used my HF one to remove some old rusted out lug nuts from a backhoe. My dad was using a breaker bar and hanging on it and couldn't get them to budge. He called me and said "bring your impact wrench, lets see if its any good." I get over there he's like you're not going to get them off with that thing. I said ok. One squeeze of the trigger and I was holding lug nuts asking him where he wanted me to put them. Yes, it's THAT good. For 60 bucks, you can't beat it.