Truck battery died, almost new, 99 Yukon

ezbtr

Commander
Had it maybe a year, don't drive it much but start it up for 5-10 mins every week or so, usually just fires up - was totally dead few days ago. jumped it, drove maybe 3 miles, shut down at home, woouldnt start, just clicks at starter, threw charger on in on low for a few hours, running/idling now 30 mins, volts are 14 at battery via my external hand held voltage meter,while running, sounds like a bad cell maybe? Will let idle for an hour, that shou;d totally charge it? No dimming of lights when I hit the pedal.
P.S. I THINK I may have left dome light switch on???? It IS off now and volt guage in dash shows 14 volts as well

Last edited:

ezbtr

Commander
Let it idle an hour, started right up twice in 3 mins , hope it stays that way!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
If you let the battery go dead, it may never come back. Do a load test on it.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I have gone thru 3 batteries purchased from Sams club in the blazer. they would be discharged if the truck wasnt run for a week and hard to start after a day. last battery appears to be ok. the batteries would also self discharge (indicating an internal issue)

load test shown that the batteries were toast (internal issues). get a load test done on the battery.

Volphin

Lieutenant
A good field test for a battery is to turn the high beams on for 2 minutes with a volt meter attached to the battery. Your voltage should not drop below 12.5v.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Nothing beats the official load test and......... I would get a cheap trickle charger/maintainer and use that. They are about $20 and work the investment to save batteries.