I want to tell DirectTV to jump in the lake!

Volphin

Lieutenant
I'm pretty sick of spending $130/mo for millions of channels I don't watch. I'd like to cut these guys off altogether,
but am worried I won't be able to see the shows I watch. Being a gear head, I watch the Velocity channel, Discovery channels, History, AHC (formerly the Military Channel), Fox News, and Sports Channels. I could give two diddly squats about children's programming and HGTV type channels.

What is the best way to go about this? Forgive me if it's pretty simple? I grew up with 3 channels in B&W. LOL

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Look at the packages D-TV offers and scale back to what you want to watch. They do have the worst site with no details on what is included in the packages.

bigdee

Commander
Antenna,Internet,firestick will give lots of options. Local news on antenna and many free channels to stream. Add Netflix or similar for a few dollars.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Antenna,Internet,firestick will give lots of options. Local news on antenna and many free channels to stream. Add Netflix or similar for a few dollars.

I wish, can't get TV reception where I live, can't stream TV anylonger as our internet connection is way to slow these days for what you need, so my brand new Fire TV box won't work correctly, the smart section of one of my blu rays won't stream correctly and even with all those options I would not be able to watch NASCAR.

But I would be right there with you and turn my Dish Network satellite dish into a snow sliding dish if I could!

:eek:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I actually built a very simple TV antenna and I get 19 HDTV channels without any cable or sat. I dropped Dish years ago now. But that doesn't stop them from emailing me near daily to come back. But that isn't ever going to happen. I will say it is amazing how quickly you an adjust to mere over the air channels and find things to watch once you make that break from Dish Or Direct TV. But then again usually our TV is merely background noise when we are in the great room on the computers.JMHO

mbhoag

Petty Officer 2nd Class
We went off the grid 6 or 7 years ago, now we only use Antenna for about 13 local HD stations (4 of which we actually watch), and then we have Roku, Amazon Prime and Netflix... we never get bored and can always find something to watch... even in the winter when we have to stay inside alot!

And with the money we saved not spending it on Cable or Satellite, I added a new Lowrance HD to my boat, and a couple nice Musky rods, and two onboard battery chargers (for 5 batteries), and new bumpers, and some glides on the trailer, and new LED interior lights (working on what I want), and on and on and on......:fish2:

Last edited:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I agree with you guys, it would be great to save the money, but some of us live in places that we don't have to put up with people as a trade off we have to pay the satellite beast for their service.

southkogs

Staff member
Volphin - where you are, I'd look at some streaming options. I pay for cable internet and then stream via computer or Apple TV. Some of the programs you mentioned I think are additional subscription charges, so you'd need to look at those individual subscriptions. We only pay for a couple (Netflix and Hulu right now), plus catching stuff from our Amazon Prime account.

I was hearing what some people were paying for cable just this weekend, and I think I beat it by half even considering the subscriptions that I have.

dwco5051

Commander
I agree with you guys, it would be great to save the money, but some of us live in places that we don't have to put up with people as a trade off we have to pay the satellite beast for their service.

I am with you on that MT. I am the last person hooked up on 7/10th of mile of electric line. Half my neighbors below me are not even hooked up to power. I go days at a time and the only other human I see is my wife. I am glad we have Direct TV for us to watch because we have just about ran out of things to talk about.

64osby

Admiral
Switched back to cable a while back. Got tired of the rain making the satellite signal drop. That and the price increases were crazy after the "intro" special expired. Cable will be dropped for antenna and streaming service when the 2 year deal expires.

See if I can figure out a way to use the phone plan to augment viewing opportunities.

rogerwa

Commander
Look at SlingTV as a streaming service. You get 25+channels for $20 and can add addtional services as you want. You can add HBO for however long you want for $15/month. I wait until there are enough episodes of the shows I like and subscribe to HBO for a month and binge watch them.