Time to learn to weld...

gm280

Supreme Mariner
JASinIL2006, Glad you bought a MIG welder now. I think you will love welding, even while learning. It is addictive. But I also bet that well over 90% of the time you will never need the extra welding capabilities of the 220 volt unit. But at least you have that capability if needed. If I were you, I would either buy or make a very good extension cord for the 220 volt setup so you can take the welder to different places to weld things. Because some times you can't get the things you need to weld to the welder.That was one reason I went with a 120 volt MIG welder. Because the everyday welding that most of us do, is not always able to be moved to the welder. So make a good extension cord with large gauge wire to handle the current. You will not regret it. JMHO

StarTed

Senior Chief Petty Officer
gm280 you brought up an important piece of equipment. I have a 50' extension cord plugged in all the time and just roll it up when it's not all needed. It's around 3/4" outside diameter 3 conductor cable and it doesn't present any problems. I never run my machine all the way up because I have a 400 amp AC/DC Lincoln for stick welding to take care of the heavier work. It's all hobbies to me.

I got addicted to welding as a teenager when we didn't have any electricity in the house but a six cylinder Chevy engine ran a big GE welding generator. Been melting metal ever since.

Have fun and protect your eyes and breathing.

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral
JASinIL2006, Glad you bought a MIG welder now. I think you will love welding, even while learning. It is addictive. But I also bet that well over 90% of the time you will never need the extra welding capabilities of the 220 volt unit. But at least you have that capability if needed. If I were you, I would either buy or make a very good extension cord for the 220 volt setup so you can take the welder to different places to weld things. Because some times you can't get the things you need to weld to the welder.That was one reason I went with a 120 volt MIG welder. Because the everyday welding that most of us do, is not always able to be moved to the welder. So make a good extension cord with large gauge wire to handle the current. You will not regret it. JMHO

Great advice. Here is a link to a 220 extension cord that's the bomb. It comes with full length custom printing included. And you cannot make it for the price they are charging.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral

I actually haven't bought it yet, but I have pretty much decided on the ProMig 180. I will need to either run a 220v line to the garage, or for the short term I may just get a long extension cord. I have to figure out exactly how long the run will be before I decide.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Great advice. Here is a link to a 220 extension cord that's the bomb. It comes with full length custom printing included. And you cannot make it for the price they are charging.

Ha Limited-Time, that is a very nice 220 extension cord indeed. I made one for an air conditioner unit I was using in the shop years ago. But I made mine out of house wiring with 220 ends. It was stiff but worked well. That air conditioner was on casters so you could move it around and so I needed a long extension cord for it. Good cord though. :thumb:

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral
I actually haven't bought it yet, but I have pretty much decided on the ProMig 180. I will need to either run a 220v line to the garage, or for the short term I may just get a long extension cord. I have to figure out exactly how long the run will be before I decide.

For around a hundred bucks more you can get a Hobart Handler 190. Its a 220 machine that's spool gun ready should you need or want to weld aluminum.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
For around a hundred bucks more you can get a Hobart Handler 190. Its a 220 machine that's spool gun ready should you need or want to weld aluminum.

Aaaack!!! I don't need help being tempted to spend more money! :joyous: Actually, for about the same amount, I can get a sppol gun for the ProMig/WeldPak 180, too.

I'm in no hurry to start trying my hand with aluminum, though. I probably ought to figure out what I'm doing by working with steel first...

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral
I did not realize the ProMig/WeldPak 180 was spool gun ready.................looks like you are good to go.:joyous::joyous:

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Well, a minor wrinkle... I haven't had an opportunity to pick up a welder yet, and while I've been waiting for a chance, I occasionally check Craiglist for used units. Just the other day, I saw a new listing for a Hobart Handler 210 MVP. This unit dual voltage, which means I could run it off 110v or 220v power, which would be handy. Even better, the seller is strapped for cash and is asking about half of the price of a new unit. I haven't seen it yet (it's a couple of hours away) but he claims it was lightly used.

I've looked online and I haven't seen any warnings against this model, so I'm considering going to see it. Driving 2 hours plus is a bit of a risk, but I haven't seen anything used that is priced like this unit. Thoughts? (Other than the usual CL warnings...)

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Well, a minor wrinkle... I haven't had an opportunity to pick up a welder yet, and while I've been waiting for a chance, I occasionally check Craiglist for used units. Just the other day, I saw a new listing for a Hobart Handler 210 MVP. This unit dual voltage, which means I could run it off 110v or 220v power, which would be handy. Even better, the seller is strapped for cash and is asking about half of the price of a new unit. I haven't seen it yet (it's a couple of hours away) but he claims it was lightly used.

I've looked online and I haven't seen any warnings against this model, so I'm considering going to see it. Driving 2 hours plus is a bit of a risk, but I haven't seen anything used that is priced like this unit. Thoughts? (Other than the usual CL warnings...)

It could be a good deal or a bad unit. I would certainly smell the transformer area, with it unplugged of course, to see if you can smell anything burnt. If if doesn't have an aroma of being heated up or a little burnt, then make sure it runs and maybe even see a little demonstration with it. Also check for any original paperwork and manuals. Always a good to have them. But remember, it is not going to have any warranty with it. JMHO

G_Hipster

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Lots of great info. I bought the wire and ends and built my own cord. One thing I'll add if it hasn't been mentioned is to put the welder on a dedicated cuircut breaker/ line. Most condemn the machine when it's a supply issue.. I've used a lot of different equipment over the years and my favorite machine is a Millermatic 140. My experience is that 110 units have better adjustability down low and with proper prep and welding can get it done on some thicker stuff. I made the mistake of overbuying a Snap-On MM250, it's been a flawless machine, but I'm not building bridges, and it's not so good for less than 16g(ie auto body work) same with the 220v Hobarts and Lincolns I've used. Can't comment on dual voltage machines or if they handle it better. Some machines will push aluminum wire with a liner and gas change. Buy the one that fits the usage.

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
If I am not mistaken, which I probably am, I think you can adapt most any MIG welder to use an aluminum gun close to the end of the cable. BUT, I also think you have to swap the polarity as well....I think. I would love to have the capability to weld aluminum, but why, I don't know. I really don't have much of anything that is aluminum to weld. But then it is another toy, I mean tool.

G-Hipster, you are very correct about being able to dial it down to weld very light weight metal. If you've ever tried to stitch weld panels on vehicles, you know you have to spot and move. And the lower settings are very welcomed doing that type welding. I have a mere 120 volt Hobart MIG welder and have yet to need anything else. But then I don't build bridges either. But as usual, the "bigger is better" syndrome is so prevalent and folks really don't know that 95% or even more of all the things they want to weld and will weld arond their shop and homes, won't ever need anything more. It is like someone wanting to solder some surface mount parts on a circuit boarnd and buys an oxygen acetylene torch set up to solder. Yes it can solder (in some remote issues), but not really needed or should be used for such soldering. But you live and learn. JMHO

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

JAS,i have that exact welder ant it works great on 220V. Since I have a dedicated circuit for my welders I have never tried it on 110 v. However in all of the reviews I've read there has not been one neg comment. I believe it would be well worth the 2 plus hour drive................especially at that pricing level.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
The problem with buying a 110V welder is that some people use it on material that is too thick for it. You may get what you think is a good weld but the reality of the situation is that the weld looks good but you have lousy penetration. The most you can weld with a 110V welder is 1/8" and that is with a dedicated 25A 110V outlet that is close to the panel. Add an extension cord and the capacity drops further.

Solid core wire calculator
https://www.millerwelds.com/resource...ing-calculator

Flux cored wire calculator
https://www.millerwelds.com/resource...ing-calculator

Go for that dual voltage Hobart.

Last edited:

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
For what its worth....I sure like my little lincoln 210mp. Works excellent on 220, never tried 110.

As far as the Harbor freight helmets go...ive had two, they last about five times til you get flashed. I went and boight a real one, well worth the dollars.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
My experience is that 110 units have better adjustability down low
Both the Miller 140(110V) and the Miller 211 which is a combo voltage machine both weld down to 24 gauge so that is not really an issue. This is lighter than any automotive sheet metal.

Personally, if I am doing auto sheet metal, TIG is the way to go on that.

Last edited:

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
That's an excellent welder. Too bad it doesn't do AC TIG though for aluminum.

Have you any experience with their square wave 200? Thinking that will be my next. Maybe this winter as i have a number of old toons that could become swim rafts with some work. I think they may sell well. Just need to be able to cut a toon in half and weld new end caps on, then deck and trim. Am thinking tig is the way to go.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Have you any experience with their square wave 200? Thinking that will be my next. Maybe this winter as i have a number of old toons that could become swim rafts with some work. I think they may sell well. Just need to be able to cut a toon in half and weld new end caps on, then deck and trim. Am thinking tig is the way to go.
No experience with all purpose machines. I personally own a ThermalArc 180A TIG inverter machine and a Lincoln 110V MIG which I am going to upgrade to a dual voltage Miller.

If I was welding on caps to pontoons, I would be using AC TIG.

StarTed

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I have a multi-function machine. It works fine but has one flaw. It draws a little current to the ground wire. (A code no no) and was a problem for me and now a concern.

My shop is wired with neutral and ground separated and only connected together at the main panel. A single point ground connection prevents ground loops. So the machine's ground current presents a potential for ground loops, therefore noise..I disconnected the 120 volt load temporarily. Now the welder/plasma cutter works fine. I like the unit and it is easy to change from one mode to another.

It's the only machine I've used for TIG welding so I cannot comment on how it works compared to others.

I have a Hobart 175 Handler that I use for wire feed and it works OK for me. When it comes to arc welding I prefer the old 400 amp Lincoln AC/DC machine.

For cuts an inch or more thick I prefer the acetylene cutting torch.

Hope this gives you some ideas. You probably need more than one machine but I think a machine that can connect either 120 or 240 volts like you're considering should be a good choice.