Time to learn to weld...

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I've decided it's time for me to learn how to weld. I have some light welding on the boat trailer step, and I often have other little projects that would be much easier if I could weld.

Can anyone recommend good resources for a beginner to learn? I imagine I'd be looking at MIG welding. Also, I'd be thinking about picking up a welding machine, either new or used. Any recommendations/pointers?

Thanks!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I've decided it's time for me to learn how to weld. I have some light welding on the boat trailer step, and I often have other little projects that would be much easier if I could weld.

Can anyone recommend good resources for a beginner to learn? I imagine I'd be looking at MIG welding. Also, I'd be thinking about picking up a welding machine, either new or used. Any recommendations/pointers?

Thanks!

Seems welding thread are popular these days. I use a MIG setup, but there are so many out there to buy, it is hard to buy a bad setup. I would suggest to a welding supply store near you and ask about their recommendations for a simple MIG home shop setup and even possible even someone that can help you out with learning to weld. My son was a certified welder and I got my education via him. MIG welding is really the easiest method going now and you should have no problems picking it up quickly. JMHO

oldjeep

Admiral
I had a guy from one of the local jeep clubs teach me how to MIG weld, Whatever size welder you initially think about buying, go one step up. Its like functional 2 foot itis

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I learned to weld with stick when I was 10.

Bought my current mig about 18 years ago. Next purchas is a TIG and plasma cutter

I have a Lincoln SP175. Miller has some really nice rigs.

Local tech colleges often have a welding class

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I learned to gas weld at the local community college. Since then, I bought a 110V Lincoln MIG welder when they first came out, a 220V ThermalArc TIG and a 220V HyperTherm Plasma cutter.

If you are going to do work on your trailer, get a 220V MIG and buy a Lincoln or a Miller. There are a lot of Chinese welders out there that claim they are as good but I have friends that thrown them in the trash after awhile. Make sure you buy one that has variable feed and voltage...not tap settings.

Some people will say you can use 110V MIGS on a trailer...don't believe them. You will get ****ty low penetration welds that will fail eventually.

If I was buying a new MIG welder, I would buy one that you can operate on both 110V and 220V like the Miller 211 or Lincoln power MIG 180 Dual MIG Welder . That way all heavy duty stuff you can do on 220V and 110V if you go somewhere and only have 110V available.

Good website is WeldingWeb.com

Last edited:

mla2ofus

Chief Petty Officer
Agree w/ Bruce, If you can't afford a dual voltage and you have 220v in your shop get a 220v machine. IMO a 110v mig strains to make a strong weld on 1/8" iron and it will make a beautiful weld and there's a good chance it will break on one side or the other unless you "vee" both sides of the parent metals and make multiple passes. I own a Millermatic 175 that's about 13 yrs old and so far doesn't owe me a dime and it's on it's 4th or 5th 10 lb roll of wire.
Mike

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I guess if I'm going to get a 220v welder, I'll either need to get lucky and find a decent used one on Craigslist or wait a year or two and save up for a new one. I don't have $800-1000 to drop on a welder right now. I was hoping one of the decent 110v units from Lincoln or Miller might be up to the task.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I guess if I'm going to get a 220v welder, I'll either need to get lucky and find a decent used one on Craigslist or wait a year or two and save up for a new one. I don't have $800-1000 to drop on a welder right now. I was hoping one of the decent 110v units from Lincoln or Miller might be up to the task.

Before giving up, see if there is a welding school near you in a Technical College or something like that. And they will show you how to weld and you will then have a better idea what YOU need. Recommendations are all well and good, but only you know what you will be using the welder for. JMHO

82rude

Rear Admiral
Learned in school.220V would be ideal.Though ive never had a trailer repair break with a 110 either.Would love to pick up a big diesel rig.They come up for sale used and cheap once in a blue moon but ive not been lucky or fast enough.In my town welders are a dime a dozen because of the heavy industry around here.Heck we give away welders as prizes at stags for petes sake!

Last edited:

bigdee

Commander

If you first learn to stick weld you will have learned the basics and the other types will come easy. As for 120 volt welders I bought this little guy 6 years ago and it is what I now use 90% of the time http://www.harborfreight.com/welding/arc-welders/80-amp-dc-120-volt-inverter-stick-welder-61749.html. It is a great welder to learn with, it is DC with a high duty cycle and has a anti electrode stick feature which is a big plus for first timers. I have been welding for almost 50 years with high dollar welders but for around the house 80 amp DC will handle most of my needs. I have built trailers, installed exhaust systems, repaired thin gauge metal like lawn mower handles,etc. Before I retired from industry we often used miller 120 volt units for field repairs....this little HF is very similar in function. Check out you-tube videos to see more.

StarTed

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I learned by practice as a teenager on a gasoline powered machine. (We didn't have electricity from outside). Stick welding was it for me for many years.

Then I got a "buzz box" and used it for many years along with an Oxy-acetylene unit primarily for cutting and bending.

Finally got a Hobart Handler 175 that I run up against the duty cycle frequently. It's burned up at least a dozen 10# rolls of steel wire and still going strong.

Now I also have a 400 amp Lincoln Ideal Arc for when I need heavy duty welding an Avortec multi-function unit that I use for plasma cutting and TIG welding. I'm a beginner on the Avortec but so far I does what I need to do.

All that leads me to say, get the highest duty cycle you can afford.

Don't forget to hold out for duty cycle when talking to salesmen.

Remember, salesmen want to sell you something they have, not necessarily what is best for you.

dwco5051

Commander
Practice, Practice, Practice

Just like playing a musical instrument it takes practice to become good. Yes, there are good books, internet videos and vo-tech classes on welding and you have learn the theory too to become a proficient welder.

I first learned to weld on an old 140 amp AC welder of my Dads using coat hanger wire for rods as he said coated rods were too expensive for me to play with. I learned quite a bit about controlling the arc and after a while I could lay about 4 inches or so of decent looking bead. Soon after he gave me a handful of 6013 rods and left be join pieces of steel from the scrap pile.

It takes practice and I will never forget him always telling me ?watch the puddle not the arc.?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I have soldered for well over 4 decades and welded for maybe one decade or a little more now. And I have to say, I like welding more then soldering. But that could be that soldering has gotten second hand with me and not even a challenge. Welding does offer a totally different ability to most any shop. The things you can fix and make, opens up a huge field of new ideas. JMHO

oldjeep

Admiral
A vote for Hobart here - typically just a Miller with some more plastic parts. I've run a couple hundred lbs of wire through my Hobart 180 with no complaints.

bigdee

Commander
OP said he doesn't want to spend alot of $$ right now. You can learn just as well on a budget 120 volt DC stick welder and step up later. My cheap HF welder does just fine for projects/repairs around the farm/home.

Harritwo

Chief Petty Officer
When i teach MIG to students, the first thing is to watch the Youtube videos on how to hold the nozzle. For me, if i were to buy a new machine, i would buy a Dual Shield capable machine. I personally prefer the LN-25 but that is out of a lot of folks home budgets. Just get a name brand machine, lots of tips and nozzles to begin and practice. I have a Lincoln and a Miller Machine. Both good machines. I dont know enough about a Harbor Freight machine but I might look at one if the price was right.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
My neighbor has a Harbor Freight machine. The wire feed is junk on it. He spends more time trying to get the machine to feed wire right than he does welding.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I have a Craftsman as well as a HF wirefeed and they both work just fine, I also have a 250 amp ancient Airco stick welder and a couple of 110v buzz boxes, as long as you use them for what they were designed for, you can learn on all of them.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I did all the gate and fencing in this picture with my 110V Lincoln MIG. Wish I had a 220V when I did it though.

front_gate.jpg

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I did all the gate and fencing in this picture with my 110V Lincoln MIG. Wish I had a 220V when I did it though.

front_gate.jpg

Nice work there bruceb58. Looks very good.

I realize folks that weld a lot will recommend others buy a dual voltage setup or even just a straight 220 volt setup. However, most folks, unless there are going into welding as a profession, will probably never need more then a standard 115 AC setup for around the shop issues. I bought a Hobart, well it was actually given to me as a great Christmas present one year, and I use it a lot. But I have yet to need anything more for what I do, and the fact that it uses 115 voltage mean I can take it places if the need be. I do have a lot of 220 outlets in my shop, but I have not needed a more powerful MIG welder for my general usage. JMHO