Cast Iron Grill Cleaning......

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Not looking to spit shine it. Just looking to clean it at temp right b/4 I toss on the grub. I've used a brass bristle brush and have noticed some strands on the grill. Maybe I exceeded it's lifespan, it's getting tossed. What's the best tool out there? We all have heard horror stories of people who ingested metal strands and had them lodged in their throats and/or digestive tracts.... Doesn't sound fun.

Looked at this, stainless. Still has strands and I assume any brush with strands can be dislodged.
https://www.amazon.com/Barbecue-Stai...ct_top?ie=UTF8

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00V954W6S/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

So what's out there that's better?

Thanks,
WIMUSKY

Last edited:

fhhuber

Lieutenant
If the grate and grill are really good... just get it very hot then scrape over it with a spatula or stainless wire brush to knock the ash off. If you got it hot enough the stuff just about falls off.

Extreme cleaning of cast iron... put it in the self clean oven for a clean cycle, but make sure you have good ventilation because it'll put out a lot of smoke.

Lower quality grills can't take the heat and the grate will deform or possibly an aluminum grill will melt.

Yes, eventually the wires come loose from any wire brush. The less "aggressive" you have to get with the brush the longer before it sheds.

If the grate is clean, you'll be able to see any strands from the brush.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Propane or wood grill? Bring the temp up to 500 and burn off or simply leave the flavor on the grates

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
If they really need cleaning and not just a wipe off, I use Easy Off Oven Cleaner, then hose of with the garden hose, let air dry and start over making a mess.

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander
Put it in a black plastic garbage bag. Then put in a cup or 2 of ammonia. Throw it out in the sun for a day or two, or a week Then wash it off with hose. Works great. Be careful though, ammonia can burn you, use gloves.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
If the grate and grill are really good... just get it very hot then scrape over it with a spatula or stainless wire brush to knock the ash off. If you got it hot enough the stuff just about falls off.

It's a good grill with heavy duty cast iron grates.....

Propane or wood grill? Bring the temp up to 500 and burn off or simply leave the flavor on the grates

Propane. Not cleaning will leave chunks of ash that end up on the food. Bleh...:) I usually bring it up to temp, then easily brush it off.....

If they really need cleaning and not just a wipe off, I use Easy Off Oven Cleaner, then hose of with the garden hose, let air dry and start over making a mess.

It's probably time for that too....

Put it in a black plastic garbage bag. Then put in a cup or 2 of ammonia. Throw it out in the sun for a day or two, or a week Then wash it off with hose. Works great. Be careful though, ammonia can burn you, use gloves.

Thanks.....

I like the grill gadget grill cleaner. It works good and eliminates the chance of leaving behind any wire bristles.
https://www.grillgadget.com/

Now that's different........... I forgot to look at the price.....

fhhuber

Lieutenant
If its a really good grill and needs corrective cleaning..
Light the grill, run it at max burner for an hour. You want to try to peg the thermometer. (most gas grill thermometers got to 700 or 750 F) Note that this will melt down an aluminum grill so stop at 500 to 550 F for those and add 30 min.
550 F might deform lower quality grill grates.

turn down temp and when its about 350 F or lower ( but not cold) open up and the ash should just brush off with little effort.

After this... just heat the grill to 500 F after you take the food off and then brush the ash off.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
There's no melting down these grates. I've heard of people using tin foil too to scrape a grill...

Temp goes to 800...

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Normally, I just turn up the heat, 'n let it bake to ash, then brush it off with a ssteel painters brush, that lives under the grill,.....

If it's really, Really Bad,....
I'll bake it, 'n hit it with my 4" angle grinder, 'n wire wheel,.... ;)

bigdee

Commander
Mine gets rusty which really freaks out my wife! I heat it up and brush with cooking oil to hide it.

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Maybe try the old "onion on a long fork" trick... Supposed to work good.

David Young

Chief Petty Officer

I also use easy off oven cleaner. After a good scrub i spray it with a coat of Pam to keep the grill from rusting :)

JaCrispy

Petty Officer 1st Class
What type of grill? I had an offset smoker/grill I used to just build a small fire in to clean up everything. My main gas grill has large stainless rod grates that get funky. I make a fire in the fire pit and toss them in for a bit.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Here's the grill. I didn't notice the loose "strand" until I looked at the pic on my computer. I was checking for uneven wear. On the right side of the grill I used the metal scrapers on the brush, which also allows me to get into the sides of the grates. Worked pretty good. May just do that for now and a deep cleaning..

Last edited: