Playing an MP4 file?

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
A buddy emailed me an MP4 file. When I try to open it I get a message that there is no program associated with that file type. Windows Media Player is supposed to play MP4 files and I have Windows Media Player on my XP PC. But never the twain do they meet up.

Any suggestions?

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Right click, select "open with", and use windows media player.

If that doesn't work, the file could be corrupted, or a different file type that has had a .mp4 suffix attached to it, I suppose.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Right click, select "open with", and use windows media player.

If that doesn't work, the file could be corrupted, or a different file type that has had a .mp4 suffix attached to it, I suppose.

When I right click on the file attachment it does not give me the 'open with' option, just 'open'. When I do that, that is when I get the message I mentioned above. The message also states to "create and association in the Folder Options, in the control panel.

I went there but did not see what I was supposed to do.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
The media player on XP will not play the newer MP4 files, the structure changed to much and they have not updated the XP player for years now.

Try this one, I have used it on my old XP machine and it works pretty good, last time I downloaded it was a direct download with no ad's embedded in it. They say you don't need to find any codecs, which makes it real nice, tracking down the correct codecs for the older machines can be a real pain.

http://www.mediaplayerlite.net/mp4-player/

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
The media player on XP will not play the newer MP4 files, the structure changed to much and they have not updated the XP player for years now.

Try this one, I have used it on my old XP machine and it works pretty good, last time I downloaded it was a direct download with no ad's embedded in it. They say you don't need to find any codecs, which makes it real nice, tracking down the correct codecs for the older machines can be a real pain.

http://www.mediaplayerlite.net/mp4-player/

Ok, I downloaded the player. How do I hook the attached MP4 file to the player? The file is still responding as I described above, when I try to open it. I do not get an 'open with' choice.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Save the file. Open the new application(player). Open the file from within the application.

thumpar

Admiral
I like VLC for playing media. I have not found a valid media file, sound or video, it won't open. It is free.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Save the file. Open the new application(player). Open the file from within the application.

That is what I did and it worked but I was thinking that they should have linked up when I 'opened' the file from the email.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
......So...when are you going to give up on this XP? Is it still your business software?

Partly Bruce. I have two PC's. The one I am typing on is XP. The other one is my business computer. It is also XP. I was able to load the DOS based business program onto my Win 7 Laptop but here is the rub. It is the business program printers that limit it.. The program requires a parallel port to run the printers. It would not be able to find any USB printers. HP did not write a driver for the old HP2100 printer beyond XP. Also for my mailing lablels the busness program uses an old Panasonic Pin Printer. So I am pretty well locked in.

I could upgrade on my surfing PC but I have it A/B switched to the HP 2100 printer.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Hey Boom, you up for some possible shooting in a couple of weeks? I will be coming back to Vancouver to put Dad, Mom and my Sister to rest and should be able to find some time for a good day of wasting ammo?

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Hey Boom, you up for some possible shooting in a couple of weeks? I will be coming back to Vancouver to put Dad, Mom and my Sister to rest and should be able to find some time for a good day of wasting ammo?

My calender shows me pretty flexible at about two weeks out. Shoot me a date range when you are able and I'll make sure I don't plan anything for that period until we get date specific.